View topic - Landcruiser V8 LPG Conversion

Landcruiser V8 LPG Conversion

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!

Landcruiser V8 LPG Conversion

Hey all,

I have had a number of emails in request of how my LPG conversion went and requests for before and after shots of the truck.

So I have compiled this together for anyone contemplating changing over to gas. The conversion cost $2,800 drive in drive out and took 3 working days to complete. The job was undertaken by he Gasman in Alexandria.

When I picked the truck up I had a number of concern regarding the engine stalling when DE-acceleration and had to have it returned 4 times with adjustments made to the computer module to try to rectify the situation.

They after a lot of consulting and deliberation come to realise that the computer couldn't keep up with the ram effect of the snorkel I have fitted.

They took possession of the truck a final time and had a balancer pipe installed to even out the air intake.

Let e say that the car goes absolutely beautifully, you would never tell that it runs on gas apart from the engine is much quieter running on gas than on petrol which owning that gorgeous V8 I miss a little......

Anyway, down to what I am saving.

I have compiled accurate records over the past month and have traveled just on 2,000 klm's since the conversion so the figures are typical to what you can expect.

I have a 93 litre tank fitted with 80 useable litres of gas, though I never go past 70ish, once the red light goes on I fill up.

I get 300 klm's from 76 litres of gas or 25.33 litres per 100 klm's, so it uses about 6 litres per 100 klm's more than petrol uses.

I travel about 800 klm's a week and I spend $101.00 per week on gas (200 litres of gas @ 49.9) calculating what I am saving I save approximately according to my log book $110.00 per week s I was using 20 litres per 100 kilometers on petrol and averaging $1.30 a litre at the time, though I realize petrol has come down a bit since.

So, all in all I am extremely happy as it will only take 28 weeks to pay for it's self and the performance is absolutely identical to using petrol, I cannot tell any difference at all. I highly recommend the conversion.

Here are the before and after photos.

Kind Regards,
Pete.

Unread postby Wilesy » October 25th, 2006, 11:11 am

Kind Regards,
Pete.

Unread postby Wilesy » October 25th, 2006, 11:12 am

Kind Regards,
Pete.

Unread postby Wilesy » October 25th, 2006, 11:13 am

Admin

Where did your spare tyre end up? On the roof or inside?? Or did you leave it off entirely?

Unread postby Peter Aawen » October 25th, 2006, 11:44 am

Mmmm...........

It ended up at home...

I thought the spare wheel carrier looks a little tacky......

Unread postby Wilesy » October 25th, 2006, 12:18 pm

Need to get out more

ill be interested to hear how it goes long term. dad has a cruiser the same as yours and belives the cost of getting the shims adjusted every 40 000km wont be worth the savings of running on gas. his is used totally for long trips and is averages 16L/100km. and a trip from vic to qld will see it drop to 13L/100km.
I drive an 80 who needs mods

Unread postby Grimsey » October 25th, 2006, 12:30 pm

Here and there

Mmmm...........

It ended up at home...

I would be a bit concerned about not having a spare tyre........
If you dont like the rear carriers maybe a roof rack or just keep the spare in the back of the cruiser.

cheers

Unread postby hzj105t » October 25th, 2006, 12:39 pm

hzj105t wrote:Mmmm...........

It ended up at home...

I would be a bit concerned about not having a spare tyre........
If you dont like the rear carriers maybe a roof rack or just keep the spare in the back of the cruiser.

cheers

I have thought about it long and hard and I have been driving Patrols and Cruisers for over 25 years and have yet to have a flat tyre whilst driving in the city limits.

I always have pretty good tyres and if I go 4x4ing over the weekend I have a roof pod or a trailer which I put the motoX bikes in which there is plenty of room so I think it should be Ok.

Unread postby Wilesy » October 25th, 2006, 1:01 pm

Grimsey wrote:ill be interested to hear how it goes long term. dad has a cruiser the same as yours and belives the cost of getting the shims adjusted every 40 000km wont be worth the savings of running on gas. his is used totally for long trips and is averages 16L/100km. and a trip from vic to qld will see it drop to 13L/100km.

Yeah only time will tell I guess, though I will save over 40,000 klm's nearly $5,000 nett after travelling 40,000 klm's so I doubt if having the shims (whatever they are...) adjusted should cost in excess of $5,000.00 each time.

I intend on keeping the truck for about 4 years and I will travel approximately 170,000 klm's during that time so I expect to save in petrol alone over $21,000.00 so if it lasts me that long which is to be expected without any trouble I will be pretty happy.

Most people tell me that you can expect about 350-400,000 klm's out of a Toyota V8 running on gas, so I should think over a period like that and a saving of about $40,000.00+ in petrol should cover it without any problems....

Unread postby Wilesy » October 25th, 2006, 1:11 pm

Been here a while

Hi Peter,

Do you know if your system is based on the venturi system (carburettor) or is it the newerVapour Sequential Injection (VSI)? The latter is what they call the gas injection system.

Does the system start on petrol and automatically switch over to LPG after the engine is warmed up? When switching manually, does the engine hiccup?

Have you got under bonnet pictures?

Thanks in advance!

Unread postby tempestv8 » November 1st, 2006, 10:48 pm

Been here a while

Gas & Cruisers

Good luck with the LPG conversion but I'm afraid you will regret it. Gas belongs in BBQ's. Had a cruiser put it on LPG because of the fuel prices & had nothing but trouble. Radiator tanks splitting, vehicle out of tune & no power. The money I was saving was good until I had to pay for two (2) head jobs dearest ones I've ever had!!!

Unread postby orejap » November 2nd, 2006, 6:46 am

tempestv8 wrote:Hi Peter,

Do you know if your system is based on the venturi system (carburettor) or is it the newerVapour Sequential Injection (VSI)? The latter is what they call the gas injection system.

Does the system start on petrol and automatically switch over to LPG after the engine is warmed up? When switching manually, does the engine hiccup?

Have you got under bonnet pictures?

Thanks in advance!

It's the Carburettor system, it starts on petrol and within about 5 seconds it changes over to gas though the only way that you can know it is that the light indicator shows it has changed over.

It runs exactly the same as if it was running on petrol, the only time I ever think about it is when I fill up at the service station and it costs $35 instead of $150 which is what it cost me to fill both tanks twice a week when I was running on petrol.

I will see if I can rustle up some photos soon.

Unread postby Wilesy » November 2nd, 2006, 2:06 pm

Getting to know the place

Hi All,
I have recently fitted LPG to my 80 series cruiser. Its great, I was getting 20 l / 100 around town on petrol, now I get 21.5 l / 100 on LPG. Sooooo cheap to run, and I only had to throw in a few 'hundy to install, thanks Jonny! I have also installed a drip feed valve lubricator.

There is no noticable difference in power. I think the initial setup / tuning is all important to get the best out of the system. Im very happy, and would highly reccomend fitting LPG (provided you can get your hands on a tank, and your not planning on deep water crossings)

Unread postby steely » November 2nd, 2006, 7:50 pm

Avid Poster

steely wrote:Hi All,
I have recently fitted LPG to my 80 series cruiser. Its great, I was getting 20 l / 100 around town on petrol, now I get 21.5 l / 100 on LPG. Sooooo cheap to run, and I only had to throw in a few 'hundy to install, thanks Jonny! I have also installed a drip feed valve lubricator.

There is no noticable difference in power. I think the initial setup / tuning is all important to get the best out of the system. Im very happy, and would highly reccomend fitting LPG (provided you can get your hands on a tank, and your not planning on deep water crossings)

whats the problem with lpg and deep water crossings?
97 diesel 80 series, 35" radial claws (for play),
front arb locker, rear lockright, willowglen competitor

Unread postby Kransky » November 2nd, 2006, 8:07 pm

Been here a while

Yes, I too would like to know why you can do water crossings when you have LPG fitted.

I'm getting my Land Rover Discovery Series II V8 converted to LPG next week.

It's a Vapour Sequential Gas Injection system (VSI), so kinda like the LPG equivalent of fuel injection.

Will let you know how I go with it - it's gonna cost a pretty penny at $4000 but I should be able to get $2000 back from the government.

I've seen a number of VSI systems out there, and they all seem to be very promising. What's really telling is that fuel economy only marginally suffers, and power is marginally down, but interestingly, torque is up!

Unread postby tempestv8 » November 2nd, 2006, 10:45 pm

Next

Return to Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's