3L 2.8 EGT sensor placement.

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
Headonz
I'm new, be nice!

3L 2.8 EGT sensor placement.

Unread post by Headonz » September 13th, 2018, 9:24 am

My 95' LN106 has a 20T fitted when I bought it 8 months ago. 340,000kl .

I have fitted a SAAS EGT gauge and have the sensor in the exhaust manifold just before the turbo as per photo.
What temps should I consider max without melting stuff.I have been going to 700c for short bursts up hill but generally it sits around 400 -500 at 100kph on the flat.Is this OK ??

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: 3L 2.8 EGT sensor placement.

Unread post by Peter Aawen » September 13th, 2018, 10:11 am

IIRC, the generally accepted MAX temp for 'post turbo sensors' placed in the dump pipe 100-150mm from the turbo outlet flange is 600 Deg C.... not sure how that transfers to 'pre-turbo sensors' tho! :ooh:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Headonz
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Headonz » September 13th, 2018, 2:23 pm

Thanks Peter,
Just did a road test and 375 to 425c is more accurate at 100kph but it can jump to 700c plus up a hill with my foot down.The EGT gauge is very responsive to any De-acceleration but it worries me not knowing what is acceptable with the sensor pre-turbo.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » September 13th, 2018, 3:48 pm

Sorry I can't help any with info for pre-turbo sensors, but all the Truck & 4WD Turbo engined vehicles I've driven/seen have been set up with their thermo-couple/sensor sited to report the post turbo EGT's!! :o Maybe you could try talking to one of the big name Diesel Tuners out there?? Where's home? Depending on where you are, maybe you could try the nearest of West End Diesel, Berrima Diesel, or Cooma Diesel.... or someone reputable who might be nearer?? One or more of those sorts of places might be able to help?? ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

NZ LUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by NZ LUX » September 13th, 2018, 4:19 pm

I've got my thermocouple located just before the turbo too, and I see temps of around 400-450 degrees Celsius at 100kph on the flat roads.

Up any constant hills, I'll easily hit 650 degrees, so that's where I try and adjust throttle to keep it at 650.

You'll be surprised to notice any headwind or very slight incline in the road, as that'll increase temps by 50ish degrees.

Hope that helps.

Headonz
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Headonz » September 13th, 2018, 6:19 pm

Thanks guys ,sounds like I am not far off NZLux ,I know what you mean about a head wind LOL !! I find I drive by the EGT gauge all the time now on the open road.I am in Motueka NZ so we both know all about hills and mt passes.

I was sure I had read a lengthy post when I first got my Hilux some 8 months ago about sensor placement and expected temps but just cant find it.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » September 13th, 2018, 8:42 pm

Check out the 2007 thread linked below for a bit of discussion on pre/post turbo thermocouple placement :rolleyes: :

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=33752&start=15

And if you want a bit more light reading, you could have a squiz at this:

http://www.thermoguard.com.au/operate.html

Enjoy! ;)

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”