Ford Escape suitable 4x4? (+ introduction)

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
jessehmn
I'm new, be nice!

Ford Escape suitable 4x4? (+ introduction)

Unread post by jessehmn » May 23rd, 2018, 5:36 pm

G'day guys!

I'm Jesse from The Netherlands and have been living in Melbourne for 6 months now.
I am a complete noob if it comes to technical stuff with cars, but think I can say I am a decent driver. And for information about 4x4's I am reading the forum :pinkhappy:

I bought a Ford Escape XLT from 2003 a couple of months ago and am very happy with it so far. Drove around 2.000k with it now without any problems (knocks on wood).
However, I am planning a big Outback & West Coast trip starting from July. I am only a bit worried as opinions differ if a Ford Escape is made to drive on unsealed roads?

My plan was to go in a convoy of at least two cars from Adelaide -> Coober Pedy -> William Creek - Oodnadatta -> Finke -> Alice Springs -> Uluru -> Laverton -> Kalgoorlie -> Esperance.
Only some people are concerned this is not doable for a 4WD like a Ford Escape. Do you guys have any experience on these roads? I have driven on unsealed roads before and that went great - I just took it very easy and limited my speed as I am defo not an expert on these roads.
The main thing I want to avoid on my trip are deep sand roads and dunes. Some tracks with a little bit of hard sand don't concern me, but don't wanna go extreme off-roading with it.

To me it sounds a bit weird that a car like this can't handle the route I have in mind, as it's a 4WD (without H & L though).
I just don't want to be the know-it-all, because I am not. Lot of people say it's perfectly doable, but I am still unsure about some who say it isn't.

So, long story short, do you think it is reasonable to travel the unsealed gravel roads on this route and is a Ford Escape a car in general that should be possible to do some light 4WD tracks / roads with?

Many thanks in advance guys. My apologies if this is put in the wrong section!

janddbone
I'm new, be nice!

Re: Ford Escape suitable 4x4? (+ introduction)

Unread post by janddbone » July 15th, 2018, 4:53 pm

Yes they are more than capable on unsealed roads and will have no real issue. Check right over the cooling system, manifolds and automatic transmission, as that is the main trouble areas. Some good light truck construction tyres and some beefed up towing points would be my only two other recommendations.

Enjoy.

hoyks
Avid Poster

Re: Ford Escape suitable 4x4? (+ introduction)

Unread post by hoyks » July 16th, 2018, 2:23 pm

It will do it fine. Make sure it is serviced, any belts or hoses that are past their use by date are replaced and they tyres and suspension are up to the job.
Most of those roads are do-able in an Falcon or a Kombi and its only when the roads get wet or sandy that 4x4 really comes into its own for keeping you pointed in the right direction.

Don't take a heap of crap you don't need, put some good tyres under it and drive to the conditions with some mechanical empathy and it will be more capable of getting you there and back.

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”