What mods do you do first on a 105 series?

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
cruiser_downunder91
I'm new, be nice!

What mods do you do first on a 105 series?

Unread post by cruiser_downunder91 » April 30th, 2018, 7:45 am

ok so whats the first things people do when they buy a 105 series standard 4.2 landcruiser,
like mods,replacements,upgrades, ect..

V Williamson
Part of the furniture

Re: What mods do you do first on a 105 series?

Unread post by V Williamson » April 30th, 2018, 10:36 pm

Without having owned a Toyota 4wd, I would like to make more general comment.

Firstly, what type of 4wding are you intending to do? So, for example, if you were hoping to do beach driving, or other sand driving, a set of maxtrax might be handy to extract yourself from a bogged situation. But really, before shelling out your hard-earned, why not simply drive the vehicle as is and work out what is necessary, what might be useful and what is bling. I have said elsewhere on these forums that probably 90% of 4wding "success" is dependent on who is behind the steering wheel. Probably very little depends on the vehicle make.

So maybe the first mod I would make, is attitude behind the wheel! You need mechanical sympathy, that is, the ability to gently coax your vehicle in all situations rather than give it a thrashing with the "loud" pedal. Those advertisements showing 4wds and trailers being hurled through mud puddles producing the hugest splash might look good for some, but really, whatever irregularities exist on the track surface are going to belt the suspension systems something awful, throw your passengers and cargo in all directions and generally be harsh on the entire system.

Really, you can spend a fortune on gear you never use. But there are investments that may pay dividends. It all depends on what you want to do behind the wheel.

Have fun!

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » April 30th, 2018, 11:06 pm

^^ Wot 'e says!! :thumb: :thumb: In Spades & with Bells on! :p

Altho maybe you should consider fitting a good set of LT tyres if the vehicle doesn't already have a set of LT Construction tyres of some sort on it; but they really don't hafta be rough as guts muddies or anything much beyond a robust LT constructed tyre with a reasonably open tread pattern that will handle you lowering the tyre pressure if/when you need better traction & still manage reasonably well on whatever surface you are going to do the majority of your driving - and for most of us these days, that IS going to be on the bitumen, unless you are leaving next week on your 'Mainly On 4WD Tracks' round Australia trip (Nb: I purposefully didn't say 'your round Aust by 4WD Trip' - cos these days, unless you actively plan on avoiding as much bitumen as you can, most of any round Aust trip is still likely to see you doing more bitumen driving than travelling on 4WD tracks!! :o )

So maybe you should just drive it like it is for a while and LEARN what YOU need to mod in order to help it do the things YOU want it to do - cos what I suggest might not be any good for what YOU want to do! And certainly, have some fun doing it!! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

cruiser_downunder91
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by cruiser_downunder91 » May 1st, 2018, 6:42 am

hi cheers for the replies, i have owned a few cruisers and done a fair bit of 4wdriving was more after suggestions in what common things are that people replace or switch out or modify from buying a second hand 105. i have owned one previously but didn't have it for long and had to sell it, wanting to buy another, i hear about some 4x4 bought and the first things they do just for e.g is switch out the injectors because they are known to be crap on the specific model or the breaks or anything like that etc...

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”