Anyone tried Sealing their tailgate? Any help/suggestions?

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
furfarce
Here and there

Anyone tried Sealing their tailgate? Any help/suggestions?

Unread post by furfarce » March 31st, 2018, 9:02 pm

Hi wanting to know if anyone has seal up their tailgate.. I have an ln106 dual cab with flexiglass canopy and want to seal the Ute tailgate to try and keep the weather out.. I realise it will never be totally water proof but hope to keep a bit of dust and water out .. Any help / suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you

cbd
Here and there

Re: Anyone tried Sealing their tailgate? Any help/suggestions?

Unread post by cbd » April 1st, 2018, 12:11 pm

G'day
Had a couple utes with canopys and never really come up with a perfect balance between sealing and breathing out the hot air to help the fridge. So I'm watching this with interest.
My latest is an ARB with flip up side windows so no opening a side slider 20/30 mm to maintain positive pressure and the air flow keeping dust ingress around the tail gate.
For now I open the front sliding glass to give positive pressure but the same as the open side slider your going to get some dust but at least the fridge isn't
labouring in it's own heat.
Some sort of air scoop towards the front and up high with an efficient and reachable cleanable dust filter? Don't know, but I'm open to all suggestions.

Mr Frodo
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Mr Frodo » April 4th, 2018, 8:34 pm

I used a self adhesive rubber seal from Clark Rubber. I stuck it to the well body and it worked quite well. If you still have gaps after sticking one strip you can add another on top or stick a short piece on the tailgate.

Bevanbraves
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Bevanbraves » April 26th, 2018, 7:24 am

I tried lots of things to seal my tub and canopy when i had them. Nothing, nothing worked. Until i put a $100 air inlet fitted on top of the canopy created positive pressure and kept it absolutely dust free. I got my air inlet from ARB, pretty standard item.

Oodnadatta track, strezleki, plenty and handover highways, no dust inside the canopy.

cbd
Here and there

Unread post by cbd » April 27th, 2018, 7:45 pm

G'day
Thanks, checked out the online cattledog and there it was. Wide and narrow profile means it will fit the front of the ARB canopy without going into those lengthways grooves.
There is little detail, but is it opened internally or external? Is it possible to fit a filter? Or not needed? Is it wheatherproof? Facing foward or aft?
Sorry if there are so many questions.

Bevanbraves

Unread post by Bevanbraves » April 28th, 2018, 9:10 am

I kept mine open all the time. Even in the rain, only a touch of water come in. I carried camera bag and pillows in my canopy etc and never had a water problem.

They push/pop open from the inside of the canopy. So easier to do when empty and a pain on my knees - hence why i kept mine open. Closed by pushing it closed from the outside.

Needs to open facing forward so the air is rammed into the canopy, i never had a dust or water problem after travelling tens of thousands of kms as second vehicle on all the dusty roads. Never had a filter.

On install, just need to cut a hole in your canopy - looks scary - but a simple job for a handy man or panel beater type.

cbd
Here and there

Unread post by cbd » April 28th, 2018, 8:53 pm

G'day Bevanbraves
Thanks for the answers. Really appreciate them as I was not ready to cut up my canopy to put one of those spinny things you see on the council and railways utes.
Thanks again

Bevanbraves

Unread post by Bevanbraves » April 29th, 2018, 8:42 am

No worries. My tailgate had gaps you could put your fingers through, and this option worked for me.

cbd
Here and there

Unread post by cbd » June 21st, 2018, 7:48 pm

Gday
Been a while. But finally got a ARB vent fitted.
In the rear of the canopy. AP les viewtopic.php?f=177&t=148488
Havn't done the dusty tracks but it's a cooler airier back.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”