Dealing with early rust

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
gordoben
I'm new, be nice!

Dealing with early rust

Unread post by gordoben » February 28th, 2018, 12:14 pm

ben.jpg
Hey all,

I got a 6 month old toyota fortuner. Noticed some rust under the car. Will post pics. I do live on a coastal town and have taken it to the beach 3 times with extensive cleaning afterwards. I was going to get a wire brush to sand it back and then apply a rust proofing protector, which im unsure what to use at the moment. I was thinking lanolin spray?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

V Williamson
Part of the furniture

Re: Dealing with early rust

Unread post by V Williamson » February 28th, 2018, 2:03 pm

Clean and apply fish oil.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » February 28th, 2018, 2:35 pm

I wouldn't hit that with a wire brush!! :eek: At this stage it's only surface rust on exposed metal/paint loss areas & wire brushing that & the surrounds will only spread the potential for creating MASSIVELY more rust down track & over a much greater area at that!! And since down underneath like that, it's not gonna be a pristine colour coat, and it's not as if you need to to be fully covered with shiny black paint all the time, cos down there, every 4WD outing WILL take anything you paint on straight off!! You want something to protect the bare metal, bond with it, & stop that surface rust from ever becoming ingrained!

To do that, leave the wire brush completely out of it, remove all the dirt & mud etc with a hose or Masojet (NOT a hi-pressure sprayer, that just forces grit & water past seals & into joins & bearings etc!) And then, if you still feel thst you must do something more than just hitting it with Lanolin or Fish Oil (which is really all it takes & warrants and is the ideal approach!), you can hit it with a Rust Converter (that will convert the rust to an inert ptotective layer) and THEN hit it with Lanolin or Fish Oil!! :thumb:

Look at Milo & how often that vehicle has been on the beach, in salt water, or drowned in highly corrosive/reactive mud etc but #still has NO significant RUST - all due to the frequent doses of lanolin & good cleaning that it gets before & after each outing.... outings that are sometimes a month or two long!! Btw, LANOLIN smells a helluva lot better'n Fish Oil, & doesn't 'colour' the metal anywhere near so much!! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

gordoben
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by gordoben » February 28th, 2018, 2:50 pm

Thank you for the reply guys! This is only a small issue yeh? as i said we got the car in August? Surely cant have cause anything significant? Do i need to clean all the rust before i apply the lanolin?

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » February 28th, 2018, 6:08 pm

I'd just degrease that & lightly brush with a household hand brush to remove any loose dirt & rust flakes, but that bit of red colour you see is what you REALLY WANT to STAY - cos it seals the rest of the metal off from oxygen & that is what prevents any deeper rust from taking root & that lot from getting any worse!!

If you really want to stop anything more from happening EVER, then grab some FERTAN by Chemtec or one of the similar rust converters & spray it on, leave for 2 hours, then dampen it with a damp cloth or a light mist (to enhance the conversion process) & leave again. Once it's turned blue/black (about 24 hours usually) then gently - repeat - GENTLY rinse it off, then once it's all dry again cover everything with lanolin..... From there on in, apply lanolin to a clean & dry underbody BEFORE you hit the beach or mud etc, & clean it again thoroughly (park it on top of a sprinkler &/or use a Masojet or wand sprayer - NOT a hi-pressure sprayer) afterwards to clean all the salt & dirt off & out of the chassis rails etc; then re-apply the Lanolin again!! You can't really put too much Lanolin on, the excess drips off! So just recoat regularly & make sure you don't get pockets or deposits of salt, salty sand, or mud etc stuck on or in anything (running a hose into the chassis rails helps keep then clean!) under there & it'll last forever!

Just for your info, FERTAN & most similar 'Rust Converters' actually NEED that coloured surface rust to do any good, cos they penetrate all that 'rust coloured metal' - which is ONLY surface stuff, & convert it into an insoluble inert metallic sealing layer that can be painted, welded, galvanised, chromed etc; and if it's then covered & sealed by lanolin or similar, it will stop any more rust from forming. It's sorta like it converts that stuff you can see (hat you are worried about & shouldn't really be!) into a condom that stops any air from reaching any of the metal underneath that MIGHT become structural rust if it comes & stays in contact with warm moist air & oxidises for long enough to turn into rust!! You need to understand that BARE metal is not good, cos it oxidises & eventually forms rust, and then given the right conditions (warmth, humidity, oxygen rich, & a bunch of other stuff) can develop into the cancer that starts eating away at metal. But that micro thin layer of red colour you've shown us pictures of is actually a reasonably good thing, cos it visibly shows us that the bare metal HAS ALREADY BEEN SEALED AWAY from the environment that would let it develop into bad rust if it stayed in the right environment for long enough!! For that stuff you can see to get much worse, it would hafta be rubbed or scraped off and then subjected to all that previously mentioned environmental stuff for a year or so, but that's not all that likely on the underside of a car.... Well, not UNLESS some misguided person gets under there with a wire brush & 'cleans it off', & by doing that actually does absobloodylutely the VERY WORST THING THEY POSSIBLY COULD DO if they wanted to preserve that bit of metal!! Just hitting it as is with the lanolin will very likely be all it ever needs, especially if you repeat the lanolin application as mentioned above - cos the 'bare metal' is all sealed away from oxygen etc.... but if you do the added protection of using FERTAN or some other Rust Converter, then it's just like getting your Missus to take the Pill AND STILL using a condom!! It's gonna be protected - and every subsequent re-layer of lanolin is another condom! ;)

Over to you! :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”