4x4 twin cab for $15k

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
Tamas
I'm new, be nice!

4x4 twin cab for $15k

Unread post by Tamas » January 1st, 2018, 3:35 pm

Looking to upgrade my 04 rodeo diesel. Want an auto with a bit more comphy and power for about $15k. Any recommendations. I figure I can get an 08 to 2010 mod for my Budget. Heard bad things about navaras. I don't need to tow anything large. Mitsi 2.5 seems to have good power another that might suit may be later rodeo or Colorado. B50 & Ford seem to have less power? And Hilux out of budget. Any thoughts.

hoyks
Avid Poster

Re: 4x4 twin cab for $15k

Unread post by hoyks » January 2nd, 2018, 7:16 pm

I get given a lot of rental utes through work, I see rental years are a bit like dog years; 1 year as a rental is like 4 years as a private vehicle.

3L D22 Navara's, can't kill them with a stick. Some of the 2.5's had a timing chain issue, but there was a fix. Old chassis design, so they are cheap. D40 are OK, more on-road orientated. They have some that have broken in 1/2, but that is mainly in Europe with salted roads. The Australian ones have been been overloaded for the conditions. they hold up reasonably well.

Tritons, head troubles on some of them, ERG cokes the inlet manifold up. Rear wheels under the rear of the cab and a long tub puts a lot of stress into the chassis, so more than a few have bent. Plenty of happy owners, but the ones I had felt worn out when only a few years old, lots of rattles, lots of smoke and down on power.

Dmax (and I'll lump the holdens in here) Not the flashest ones going around, but after years of abuse as a rental, these were probably the best. Motors still good, gearbox still tight and not many rattles.

Ford/Mazda, the 2.5 turbo diesel had a bad reputation for blowing heads and the gearbox wasn't the strongest around. the 3L version might have improved though. Construction was a bit tinny (I had a Courier), but the metal must have been OK as they don't seem to rust.

Hilux, don't rate them highly myself. Yes they go OK, but you are paying a premium for a name they earned a while ago and the new ones don't hold up as well. The extras are lacking for the price too. I'm tall and find the seating position rubbish.

Tamas
I'm new, be nice!

Re: 4x4 twin cab for $15k

Unread post by Tamas » January 20th, 2018, 11:17 am

Thanks hoyks

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”