What do you think is the Best performing ute for under 5k?

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
Alan79
I'm new, be nice!

What do you think is the Best performing ute for under 5k?

Unread post by Alan79 » December 24th, 2017, 6:32 am

Hi all.
I'm planning to spend a year driving/fishing Australia starting at some stage within the next six months. I'll most likely be doing the trip solo and due to a fairly limited budget, my main aim in looking for a suitable ute will be something that's fairly fuel efficient that can handle rough roads. I'm still a novice with rough tracks but as i build in experience, I'd like to be able to access some of the more remote locations. I'm very flexible about what vehicle I'll take and I'm aware that $5,000 or under is not going to get me anything very modern. So if anyone can recommend some vehicles I should look for within that budget it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Alan

V Williamson
Part of the furniture

Re: What do you think is the Best performing ute for under 5k?

Unread post by V Williamson » December 24th, 2017, 8:46 pm

G'day there Alan,

Well, how long is a piece of string? Of course that is the age old question that has no real answer and unfortunately, probably applies to a ute under $5k as well. They would be somewhere around the 15 year old mark at a guess, and like anything bought - "caveat emptor" - let the buyer beware. You might pick up a good one, or you could pick up one with banana skin in the gearbox that masks noises, or even one that makes noises ...

That said, I suppose that anything that has survived down to $5k value must have something going for it. So then, what I think you are left with is have a look at any ute in the price range and go over it very carefully, look for any rust, any damage, ask for service records, see what extra "fruit" comes with it and work out whether it is worth "the risk". Even the so-called "unbreakable" hiluxes break. What has been the history and treatment of the vehicle that you will never know about?

If you are going to remote locations on your own, then you will need to be able to handle any problems, so before going away, stay relatively local and do a few "shakedown trials" giving the vehicle a reasonable workout that shows how it holds up.

Above all, have fun with your 4wd and trips away.

cheers vw

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » December 24th, 2017, 10:38 pm

Holden Rodeo TD

Had one for some time. Bought it because I liked the service history not because I liked the car that much. But
after some time I became very impressed with it. It was really good on fuel. Went much further of road than I thought and was super reliable.

Flash6
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Flash6 » December 25th, 2017, 6:40 pm

I've personally got a Rodeo 2.8TD so can recommend that. I've also had a lot to do with the older style L200 from Mitsubishi and have a real soft spot for them. I would suggest though that whatever you buy, make sure once bought you give it a good going over replacing older items, particularly if you're going to remote places as you suggest you'd like to.

Alan79
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Alan79 » December 26th, 2017, 6:50 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone.
I'll keep an eye out for Rodeo's on the market. I have budgeted for up to $2,000 for necessary repairs after i find a car. I should have mentioned in my original post. But i wanted to make sure I pick up something that's a capable 4x4 to start with since that is the main reason I'm looking. I figure that anything i buy is going to need work somewhere. So I'll feel better about spending less initially and having money to make it mechanically sound. I think that makes more sense than spending all my cash and having nothing on hand to sort out any problems i overlook.

If i buy through a car dealership I've got an 03 Escape and an old Terios which I'll trade in. My other option would have been to use the Escape for my trip, but from what I've read they're not brilliant off road and the escape isn't economical with fuel which is why i bought the Terios as my daily runabout for the 40km each way trip i was making to work. I've done a little off road driving in both for some fishing trips, but nothing all that adventurous. The Escape is definitely a soft roader so I haven't even attempted much rough terrain. So I'm a novice when it comes to off road driving which is something I'll be looking to change before i set off as well.

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”