1990 4runner rear window won't close! I'm Over it..... Any ideas?

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
All4Runner
Getting to know the place

1990 4runner rear window won't close! I'm Over it..... Any ideas?

Unread post by All4Runner » December 18th, 2017, 6:18 pm

Any ideas? I have a 1990 4runner, getting over fixing the ****. I just replaced everything new and used it maybe 7 to 15 times and put it up the other day, then I remembered the fuel was in the boot so opened it again & now it won't close! I get a click every time I push the button, but it's like it's jammed... can't even budge it or get the window off the tracks to remove it and look at it. All my strength and straight bars and I can't move it at all! The fuses are all sweet, everything oiled, nothing loose or broken, the motor's new and doesn't sound broken, but it just won't move - not even a 1/4 of a mm!

All4Runner

Re: 1990 4runner rear window won't close! I'm Over it..... Any ideas?

Unread post by All4Runner » December 21st, 2017, 4:33 pm

Sorted... it was a jammed motor cause the limit switches tripped. Stripped the whole mechanism, un-jammed it, and reset the arms.... hotwired the motor & got it working, re-oiled everything, put it back together & it only went halfway down so I unplugged the loom then plugged it back in and it reset the limits. Closed the door & it now goes full up then full down... fixed!

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 21st, 2017, 5:30 pm

I was wondering a little about your problem, had a tiny niggle waaay back there somewhere yelling that I should know how to sort it for you.... and now you mention all that in your post above, I DO recall doing much the same as you did to a 4Runner to get the back window working again while we were hanging off the hillside half way up the steep face of Peak Alone.... We HAD to get it closing properly then & there, cos there was no other way to shut it & the hillside was so steep that every climb between the erosion hummocks just emptied the contents of the back straight out over the tailgate - and the guy 30m & 1 hummock behind the 4Runner sorta got a little upset about the spare wheel coming out of the back & heading rapidly down the hill straight at him before bouncing just over his windscreen!! And I do mean JUST!! It hit the gas bottle on the roof rack & knocked the valve right off it!! :eek: Fella was a Parson, but he let rip with a few words that even I wasn't familiar with after 10 plus years in the Navy! :boggle:

Glad you got your problem sorted; sorry we couldn't help early enough to be of more assistance! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

All4Runner

Unread post by All4Runner » December 21st, 2017, 8:26 pm

Hahaha i could imagine it... id get sick of it 2. I had a 2day camping trip and 3g worth of stuff in the back all coated in dust now but atleast it can be cleaned and the window shuts now. It took leaving it for a day then looking at it again and seeing what could be undone to loosen motor and 12 beers and chainsaw bar oil.. i think i will re-invest in some ratchet spanners.. no room for my smallest ratchet and had to do 1/4turns on bolts took 45min lol. Cheers tho i knew it wouldnt be serious unless the gears in motor cracked.. which is what happened to the old one and springs letgo.. that was in there for 27years tho. Now its all new out of a knz i think but still the same and had to swap out a couple of plugs and one switch.

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”