Cape york january wetseason 2018. To go or not too?

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
All4Runner
Getting to know the place

Cape york january wetseason 2018. To go or not too?

Unread post by All4Runner » December 18th, 2017, 2:02 pm

Ive been planning on getting to capeyork for years now and xame to australia 5 years ago to do exactly that. Only problem now is my truck is built, i have the time and funds but its now the wet season but very little rain so far. I live in north qld btween mackay and townsville and we havent had much rain at all and all local tracks are dry or still shut from cyclone debbie does dallas. Is it worth trying, was gunna go up bloomfield to cooktown cut across and do all the usually must see places. Or has anyone got a wetseaon trip planned that dont mind another vehicle in the mix.

hoyks
Avid Poster

Re: Cape york january wetseason 2018. To go or not too?

Unread post by hoyks » December 20th, 2017, 2:31 pm

A bit of a roll of the dice there.
Might be muddy or really dusty.

It will be stinking hot and humid either way, you may also find that a lot of places are shut as it isn't worth opening when there are no tourists.
The summer (December to February) rainfall outlook, issued 30 November 2017, shows no strong swing towards a wetter or drier conditions for most of Australia. Parts of the Pilbara and Gascoyne in WA, and coastal regions of southeast Australia, are likely to have a wetter than average summer, while the northern Cape York Peninsula may be drier than average.
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/outlooks/ ... ew/summary
(But how often are they on the mark?)

I drove from Townsville to Cook Town for a November long weekend years ago, Mossman was like camping in a sauna. Cook Town isn't too far north and getting there should give you a feel for what you are up for.

If you have the time and the $$, then give it a go. The tar goes a fair way north these days, so keep an ear out for the weather reports and if a cyclone does spin up, be prepared to punch south with haste, or risk becoming a resident.

All4Runner
Getting to know the place

Unread post by All4Runner » December 21st, 2017, 8:33 pm

Cheers. I was going to do maytown old coach rd but that is now closed due to flooding and creeks will now swallow a whole truck. Creb track is open but undergoing repairs.. still open tho but that can change with just 2mm of rain bloomfield track is open again after recent flood that destroyed one crossing. And tele track is still open atm... but everything heading to laura is closed due to floods and rain according to npsr.

V Williamson
Part of the furniture

Unread post by V Williamson » December 22nd, 2017, 12:30 pm

The Peninsula Development Road, which is the main track to the cape, is of course notorious for potholes and corrugations. A trip in the wet would not make those sections any easier to travel on. I would suspect (I have no evidence) that if trucks continue through to Weipa, then the road may get very chopped up and perhaps be near impassable for light vehicles in spots. Cyclones can form during the wet and I recall a flood marker at Archer River roadhouse where I think the river rose something like 20m. Apparently that scale flood doesn't occur that often, but if any of the rivers rose even a quarter of that, you may be stuck for some time.

Check over your vehicle and trailer daily for any issues as there are many stories of trips to the cape, but not back again. I heard that vehicles on the Seisia - Cairns ferry had something like a $2000 fare, including written off vehicles from any source of damage on that trip (drowning crossing Nolan's Brook - in the dry season - is a classic).

As an aside, wet or dry season, the mechanics at Seisia and Bamaga have plenty of work cut out for them. You will simply have to get in the queue if you need any work done.

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”