Hilux Speedo correction

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
Teamsherman
Part of the furniture

Hilux Speedo correction

Unread post by Teamsherman » November 21st, 2017, 9:57 am

Hi folks,

I have recently upgraded my tyres from 31" to 33" and accoding to my speedo and a GPS speedo I'm out by about 6-7kph.

My car is a 2003 model 3.0Lt TD.

Can someone tell me how I can adjust my speedo so it is displaying the correct speed? I dont want my odometer to be incorrect either.

Cheers,

Alan.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Hilux Speedo correction

Unread post by Peter Aawen » November 21st, 2017, 10:01 am

Unless your Speedo cable is gear driven (in which case you'll need to change the cable drive cog size!) then you'll need to buy a Speedo correction box (fm Mark's 4WD Adaptors? - $300ish) or make (Jaycar used to sell kits - $60ish) to convert the elect speedo impluses sent fm the trans into the necessary corrected frequency! :thumb:

Both the speedo indicated speed & the odometer/trip meter kms travelled readings will be corrected by a correction box/new drive cog, or as near to correct as you can get! Just remember tho, you can get away with having a speedo that tells you your speed is up to 10% faster than you are actually travelling, ie reads 110kph when you are actually only doing 100kph.... but our ADR's no longer permit ANY error the other way, ie reads 100kph when you are actually doing 110kph, or technically not even if you are doing just 101kph. :eek:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”