New 4wd - which of these do you recommend? Suggestions?

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
azzaman01
I'm new, be nice!

New 4wd - which of these do you recommend? Suggestions?

Unread post by azzaman01 » November 17th, 2017, 9:22 am

Looking a buying a 4wd. Either ranger, hilux or navara. Has to be 30k or less and less than 100,000 on the clock. Which of the 3 would be better value for weekend off road and beach plus for a family. Any suggestions are appreciated

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: New 4wd - which of these do you recommend? Suggestions?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » November 18th, 2017, 6:29 pm

Hi azzaman, for my 2 bob & your criteria as mentioned, I'd go Ranger 1st choice, Navara 2nd choice, & Hilux, yeah NO - Toyota made their last 'good for offroad' 4wd Hilux back in about 1996 & it's all been downhill since then, so fugeddabowdit! :eek:

There's a reason the Rangers are selling so well atm, & it ain't cos soooo many suckers still believe the old 'unbreakable' myth that died 20+ years back; and the Navara isn't a bad 4WD either, altho maybe a bit more 'townified' than the Ranger, but they can still get you there & back again; while unless the owner (or someone?!) has spent a fair whack on serious mods, & not just on big tyres & crappy suspension lifts that don't address the inherent IFS limitations & restrictions, the Hilux is for those who believe around town image & an old, outdated & no longer applicable rep is more important than real off road capability! ;)

Flame suit on! :p And looking forwards to any resulting discussion. :D
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » December 2nd, 2017, 2:53 pm

As we all know Pete has never been in a real 4WD in his live :lol: :lol: The only 4WD Peter looks at are Daihatsu's and old Datsun's :lol:
That Hilux thing is not as bad as he tells yah. I took one to the Woollies and parked it on the green strip and I didn't get bogged once! So, what does he knows! :sillywink: :eek:

OK all silliness gone now. I like them all. I like the Hilux, Ranger and the Navara. I would go Ranger 1, Hilux 2 and Navara 3. But If the Isuzu was in this list then that would be
my number 1.
I agree with Peter regarding the Navara and like the Ranger but have heard of a fair few drama's. Have heard in the pub I have to admit.
The Hilux, for a bit 4WD-ing is really not bad. Maybe not for the die hard's.
I have driven the BT50 (same as the Ranger) a few times and have to say that it went everywhere we pointed it at.

Good luck

Flash6
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Flash6 » December 3rd, 2017, 11:17 am

BigDutchy wrote:
December 2nd, 2017, 2:53 pm
I would go Ranger 1, Hilux 2 and Navara 3. But If the Isuzu was in this list then that would be
my number 1.
I tend to agree with this opinion. In the UK I tuned them all and just preferred the Isuzu to the others when done. I also preferred the ride in the Isuzu. But straight out of the box without mods, my personal preference is for the Ford.

cbd
Here and there

Unread post by cbd » December 3rd, 2017, 7:29 pm

G'day
I've owned 2 utes in 27 years
Simple full service history, realistic kms.
If in doubt.. don't.
Aftermarket fittings great. you can save heaps.
But don't get blinded. Basic servicing is a must! And not a stamp from joes performance works either
Regards

100SEZ
Getting to know the place

Unread post by 100SEZ » December 11th, 2017, 6:34 pm

Dad had a Navara, was a great tow vehicle but I wouldn't rate it off road except for the beach

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”