thoughts on TF Rodeo

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
psshhhht
Here and there

thoughts on TF Rodeo

Unread post by psshhhht » November 5th, 2017, 8:10 pm

hi all,

First, I did use the search funciton but couldn't find information that I was after, so if I missed it, I apologise, but I did try.

Now to get to the main point.

I'm looking to buy a cheap-as-chips 4x4, preferably ute to build up. One of the big things I want to use it for is what I assume is considered "touring" - going up bush tracks in National Parks and heading up to the snow. I've recently started a youtube channel that I'm wanting to a bit of exploring videos with and so will also use the 4x4 as a bit of a camera rig at times, also for carting camping and camera gear.

Now as it is, I'm not intending to go charging up extreme tracks, but I would like to be able to get to at least remotish areas lol.

I've been looking around for a very cheap 4x4 that I can fix up over a bit of time and as cheaply as possible.

So far two of the more common options that come up are TF rodeos and old 80s Pajeros.

There is a bloke in Wonthaggi selling a 2001 Rodeo dual cab 4x4 minus engine. Now the body has a bit of moss and crap on it, but looks fairly straight and it's got me thinking. I know that they're pretty low standard, and not in the same league as equivalent Hilux models for off-road ability, but for what I am wanting to achieve, would it do the job?

I'm not the most handy person, but am keen to learn and think it could also make some cool material for videos so I'm keep for a project.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Jer
Those who can do. Those who can't, bitch about those who can on the internet!

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Re: thoughts on TF Rodeo

Unread post by stockhorse » November 7th, 2017, 2:20 am

Throw us a figure to work with mate and we will see what suggestions we can come up with.

psshhhht
Here and there

Unread post by psshhhht » November 8th, 2017, 9:26 am

I don't have a specific figure, that guy wants $400 for the one without an engine, found a '92 DLX with td working, but over 500,000km for $800 which is closer to me.

Right now I could probably go up to $1k for vehicle but I don't mind if its not ready to go as is, I would like to build something for a project/video series. I'm hoping to hear about a new job soon though and if I get it, my budget will improve a little, however more so for fixing I guess.

If I can manage it, I would really like to have the vehicle to the point where it's usable and reliable for I dunno, $8K absolutely max, prefer $5k or under. It's really only going to be a weekend and as needed project, I'd rather spend the money on stuff like drones and other camera gear lol

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Unread post by stockhorse » November 8th, 2017, 5:36 pm

Have you considered something like a sixty series and do a ute chop on it ?with your end figure being around the $5-8k you could end up with a better vehicle for less if you bought a going vehicle. A good running 60 with roof rust but mechanically sound is around the $2500 mark. Chop the rear roof and convert to ute $500 max and you are good to go.

psshhhht
Here and there

Unread post by psshhhht » November 8th, 2017, 7:50 pm

I hadn't considered a 60 to be honest, not for any particular reason though. I would've thought getting the ute conversion engineered would be killer. Another option I have considered is upping the budget a tad and going for an early Wrangler. Always had a soft spot for Jeeps, being able to remove the roof could still have similar effect I want for photography and probably a bit more capable off-road too?

psshhhht
Here and there

Unread post by psshhhht » November 8th, 2017, 8:04 pm

So I talked to the owner of the '92 rodeo today, the transmission was replaced with a wrecker unit about 180,000km ago, the engine was reco'd about 200,000ms ago. Some rust around front windscreen. He's selling it because he's got some shoulder injury which means he can't drive it now I think he said. It's still on the maybe list I guess, but I have found many newer and lower km examples for similar money

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”