New dual cab - Dmax or Ranger?

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
ozzieboy7
Here and there

New dual cab - Dmax or Ranger?

Unread post by ozzieboy7 » October 29th, 2017, 8:49 am

Looking at a new dual cab...looks like I've narrowed it down to the Dmax or Ranger. Took a Ranger for a test drive yesterday - loved it...but nervous about suspension sagging, paint problems etc, and other electrical gremlins....Dmax feels like the safer option..... Ranger has diff lock but Dmax doesn't....any thoughts most appreciated :)

V Williamson
Part of the furniture

Re: New dual cab - Dmax or Ranger?

Unread post by V Williamson » October 30th, 2017, 7:08 am

my 2c.

What sort of work do you intend to put the vehicle to? That might help solve the problem concerning the factory vs aftermarket diff lock and possible extra expense.

Are potential/alleged issues with the Ranger firmly established and well known from the type itself or are these more isolated with problems occurring just enough to be "known"? Did you ask the Ford dealer directly about these problems? Maybe try the auto organizations like NRMA for their reviews and technical advice line.

Are there issues to be raised concerning the Dmax? The technical advice line mentioned above might be able to help here as well?

Ford may have pulled the pin on local manufacture in Australia, but I understand a sizeable design team remains with the Ranger as a part of their stable.

At the end of the day, considering all the things that go through your mind about deciding which way to jump, I don't think there should be any great regrets either way compared to the other, but I say this without knowledge of either vehicle.

Hope this helps. Cheers vw

dmax001
I'm new, be nice!

Re: New dual cab - Dmax or Ranger?

Unread post by dmax001 » January 30th, 2018, 7:37 am

I cannot fault my DMAX at this stage. Granted I haven't had it for long. But I was not interested in all the electronic bells and whistles the ford ranger had. So the tough chassis and reliable engine of the DMAX is what personally won me over.

There are a huge number of DMAX Upgrades you can install to make it more reliable and capable offroad as I am sure you know. These are whats readily available on ebay as an example. https://goo.gl/NqYTsX

But it depends on your budget. As standard they are a very capable 4WD. They are also around 8-10K cheaper than the ford ranger which also helped my decision.

All the best with your search.

Cheers,

Dave

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”