Dual cabs with GVM upgrades carrying heavy loads offroad?

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
Bruosk
Here and there

Dual cabs with GVM upgrades carrying heavy loads offroad?

Unread post by Bruosk » October 10th, 2017, 6:35 pm

Do Dual cabs like hilux or land cruiser 79 with GVM upgrades still bend chassis with large loads in rear? Like 600KG spread out evenly.

Are the GVM upgrades more for lite offroading like smooth gravel roads only?

Once you add tray weight, a stock dual cab hilux looks no better off than a wagon payload wise aswell the tray is almost all behind rear wheel so I can't see the point in getting a dual cab ute to replace a wagon/trailer combo. Unless I could carry around 600kg average of gear in tray along with passengers.

Of the dual cab utes I have seen in person they all usually only had a fridge & some small gear in back & a trailer to carry the bulk.

cmar
Avid Poster

Re: Dual cabs with GVM upgrades carrying heavy loads offroad

Unread post by cmar » October 14th, 2017, 9:18 am

Yep which is why I went back to a wagon. The ute was good when I needed a ute and a pain in the arse when I didn't. If I was a tradie using it for work, I would probably feel differently, but I'm not, after switching from a wagon to a ute,(always wanted one) for me the disadvantages ended up overruling the advantages. The only thing the ute did better was carry the camper weight better, but the wagon still actually pulled the camper better, and was a much nicer drive.
Haven't owned a 2WD since 1982.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » October 14th, 2017, 3:41 pm

^^ Wot 'e say'd!! Regardless of increased GVM or not, heavily loaded utes are likely to break their chassis if driven off road fully loaded, altho a chassis extn (without a trah extn) can reduce that! And remember, when most vehicles get a GVM upgrade (Gross Vehicle Mass) that extra payload you ardd allowed on the vehicle itself hasta come off the towed mass, ie, the GCM (Gross Combined Mass). So if you want to load up your D/C ute & drive off road, & especially if you want to load up AND tow, you are risking the chassis, plus any additional weight you put in the ute tub hasta come off what you can safely tow, & btw, the max you can safely tow is SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the moment you leave the black-top regardless, just more so & with legal ramifications if you have a GVM upgrade!! And THAT is one of the reasons I've never fallen into the trap of Utes & Ute conversions - with a little thought, the Wagon can be far more versatile as well as being less likely to be overloaded enough to reach the chassis breaking stage.... speaking as one who has owned & driven utes & towed all over the country & broken my fair share of them & probably yours too - plus having done the same in & with wagons & broken significantly fewer... still broke some, but fewer ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

V Williamson
Part of the furniture

Unread post by V Williamson » October 14th, 2017, 8:39 pm

I saw the original post a few days back, but having next to no knowledge on the subject was not going to comment, but in the back of my mind I was wondering can you actually do a GVM upgrade. Well as it turns out, a google search came up with an ARB section on doing such, so of course it can be done.

But I would ask at what cost? The procedure requires a new vehicle compliance plate. This was the nagging thought in the back of my mind - to be able to do it modifies the vehicle from original design and compliance. That would mean quite significant effort in obtaining maybe a little of 6% increase in allowable load (it seemed ARB could get about an extra 200kg on a nominal 3000kg vehicle).

Is it worth it? Wouldn't a 4wd with a higher rated GVM as designed be a better option?

As an aside, in the realm of larger 4wd's, last year I noticed the Toyota Tundra was fairly abundant in the US. Somewhat bigger than a Hilux I actually saw one locally today for the first time. Maybe some will say I walk around with my eyes shut... - oh well...

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”