Anyone know anything about Uniflow filters?

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
-G-man
Here and there

Anyone know anything about Uniflow filters?

Unread post by -G-man » August 12th, 2017, 9:43 pm

Hello,

I need to buy an air filter for my car and was trying to find out what would be the best filter for keeping dust out of the engine but at the same time (if possible) provide more air flow than the restrictive paper elements.

Through my research I found K&N which I was told lets as much dust into the engine as it does air.

Paper filters very well but also very restrictive

Foam (uni filters australia) provide the best air filters period for flow (almost like Cotton Gauze) and a much better filtration than even Paper/OEM.

So best of both worlds.

They claim all motorsports, motorbikes, so on so forth like the Moto GP etc etc etc all use the uni filter, its the best filter on the market as the foam element cant be beat for filtration due to the nature of how it works and it doesn't sacrifice air flow like paper does.

Anyway, anyone got any experience with it?

I saw 4wd action magazine test it against toyota OEM paper filter and a Oiled cotton gauze K&N as well as some other brand and the Unifilter came out on top by a huge margin in terms of filtering efficiency.

How 'independent' is 4wd action or is there always 'interest' to manipulate data?

I am referring to this:

http://www.uniflow.com.au/contents/en-u ... rticle.pdf

Thanks

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Anyone know anything about Uniflow filters?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » August 12th, 2017, 10:44 pm

The Australian Uni-Filter & Finer Filter oil filled foam elements have been around for years & recognised throughout the Aust industry as being the way to go for max air flow AND filtration IF you service them properly!! It's no good whacking one in there & forgetting it, they need to be cleaned & re-oiled at least as often as a good quality paper element would need changing, but on many 4WD's the greatest advantage is that you can carry a few pre-oiled outer elements & swap them as needed, every day if you feel lke it; thereby getting by far the best dust protection and better air flow to boot!! Then once every while you hafta sit down to clean, dry, & re-oil all your spare outers! But the extra effort is worth it! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

-G-man
Here and there

Unread post by -G-man » August 13th, 2017, 12:04 pm

thanks for that.

This isn't for a 4x4 but my daily driver 2.5L turbo'd car.

Mechanic told me to go K&N because they flow the most air and will boost HP (performance) throttle response and at the same time lower my L/100km usage because they breath better.

How much better? 1HP while throwing dust into my engine wearing it out 30% faster than it normally would?

Others say foam is garbage because it wont filter like a paper filter however, seems uniflow filter better than even paper OEM style...

Every company says they 'meet or exceed' OEM requirements (K&N Included) but if you do independent testing you find dust in intake with K&N and no dust in intake with paper. So how is it "Meet or exceed" when its worse?

So you can understand why im in a 'what do i do' situation.

You got people saying K&N is the best, others say they wouldn't touch it due to dust, others say 'what dust?' and others say theres invested interested and then recommend something else, then when I ask about Foam i get told similar stories how they let dust through as well and they cause turbulant air to go into engine which isn't good... and bla bla

If I had 10k to throw away I would get all the filters on the market, spend a week on dyno to see the difference between them all and have lab tests done for how much particles get let through but I dont so i can only go by what people say and well.. you know how that works out with everyone saying the opposite to the other side of people.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » August 13th, 2017, 2:22 pm

I don't think you are ever going to get massively improved dyno figures from running any properly serviced oil filled foam filter over anything else..... a little better, maybe just measurably so; a touch better fuel economy, maybe measurably so if you are diligent with recording kms travelled & litres of fuel used, but there really isn't going to be a vast improvement JUST by changing your air filter element - if you think there might be, I just happen to own this bridge o/seas that I can't use anymore which you might be interested in buying. :p

You will probably feel you've got a 'seat of the pants dyno' type improvement in feel & noise, even if it's barely measurable by any other means, and possibly you will also feel able notice a little improvement in those other things you are chasing too, but it isn't massive & just changing the air filter by itself probably won't ever see you clearly winning any races over another similar vehicle, at the traffic lights or anywhere else or adding any massive distance to your fuel range! But neither will fitting an Aussie Uni-Filter (& they are different to the US versions which are what much of the adverse documentation & testing refers to!!) & properly maintaining it see you dusting your engine &/or shortening its life, altho fitting a K&N & driving it off road &/or in dusty conditions just might!! However, running a K&N should be OK for normal 'on road/clean air' driving if you ALWAYS maintain it properly & don't EVER drive with it dry or in dusty &/or marginal conditions, so you probably won't appreciably shorten your vehicle's engine life with one of them either! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

-G-man
Here and there

Unread post by -G-man » August 13th, 2017, 2:33 pm

Guess Uniflow it is then.

I don't tend to drive in dirty conditions but the cars air filter is completely grey from all the dust.

I think from everything I can gather...

Foam seems to be in between the 2. Doesn't have 'as' much air flow as K&N (maybe) but it seems to filter as good as paper.

From what I can gather... it is not the ability to do either the best but rather over a long period. So a K&N as it gets clogged up will actually flow worse than a foam/paper while when it is fresh it will allow more air through as well as dust. It has to get loaded up before it actually filters better, but by that stage it isn't flowing as good either.

Paper is tried and tested and has lasted forever, might not flow that great but wont damage engine either as it does keep dust out.

Foam - Seems to be a reusable "paper" style route that will keep allowing air through for a longer period of time than the other 2.

So essentially at 0km, the KNN Might flow best and Paper might filter best...

But at 10,000km - the Foam will be flowing the best out of the 2 while not sacrificing filtering.

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » August 13th, 2017, 8:25 pm

-G-man
Here and there

Unread post by -G-man » August 13th, 2017, 10:01 pm

Looked at that.

Don't know how current it is and doesn't seem the "foam" filters there tested looked like what our foam filters look like found here: http://www.uniflow.com.au

So I don't know how relevant that test is on Bobistheoilguy

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » August 13th, 2017, 10:47 pm

Yeah, the Uni-filters Bob tested are NOT the same as the Aussie Uni-filters. I think the 4WDA article explained a little about the differences, but basically ours are significantly better than the US versions, which are much more akin to the K&N foam filters. The Aussie version has been tested extensively & consistently topped the charts in all those areas you want a filter to excel at, IF you keep them serviced properly! ;)

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Unread post by stockhorse » August 14th, 2017, 1:00 am

2.5l turboed car stick to OEM. No increase in HP will be noticeable from your seat of the pants dyno and you may well void any manufacturer warranty claim if applicable

hoyks
Avid Poster

Unread post by hoyks » August 14th, 2017, 10:01 am

The oil from oiled foam and K&N can kill air flow meters and make the vehicle run considerably worse, so something to be mindful of.

I think OEM mainly do paper filters because of the ease of servicing. You pull into the dealer, they throw out the old filter and drop in a new one and charge $120/h for it. Washing a foam or cotton filter and then re-oiling it takes considerably longer.

-G-man
Here and there

Unread post by -G-man » August 14th, 2017, 10:13 am

Thanks for the feedback.

Pretty sure being a Japanese import 2003 - There is no warranty to worry about. There may be no improvement in air flow (or not enough to make a difference) but the fact it is reusable instead of spending $55 per air filter every 1-2 services... with the amount of KM we drive per year that is 2 air cleaners a year ($110)

Reusable would save me a whole bunch of $.

Either way I was looking how to save money on air cleaners while retaining as good filtration with better air flow (even if it will only be 1 HP different, or at least in throttle response) - It is still something without sacrificing filtration. So worth it over all.

Peter Aawan - Do you have/know of any independent testing done with the uni-flows besides the article I posted? "Consistently topped the charts in all those areas" - I would like to see this... if it is anywhere findable that you know of online.

Hoyks - you mean the MAF sensor problem? - K&N did tests on that and said it is hard to kill that even on purpose. The cars that had the bad MAF sensors were actually faulty to start with. So long as you don't 'over oil' the filter, then that will never be an issue.

If it only takes 15min to clean properly and then it is just drying time (Not me doing anything)... then no big deal. Buy 2 filters, take used one out, put new one in, then wash the used one while having a filter in my car and rotate per service. Not much loss of time.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » August 14th, 2017, 12:55 pm

There was a bunch of university & engineering firm testing done on these things back in the 80's & 90's, & a fair bit more done in the 20's once people like Bobistheoilguy & similar Yank mobs started bad mouthing their competitors versions of oil filled foam filters; the later testing done here often had a particular emphasis on establishing how our Aust filters were a different animal to those tested & bagged elsewhere, pretty much all reflecting the results I outlined - I don't have any direct links handy/readily accessible right now, but if you look/search the internet for AUSTRALIAN testing on AUSTRALIAN filters you should be able to find some; IIRC then Uni's & Engineering test houses in both Wollongong & Melbourne come to mind as featuring often amongst the independent testers....

Hoyks mentioned the sensor issues, & that REALLY IS something to look out for on those engines with multiple sensors & heaps of computer control, altho not a biggie on my TD42 a/mkt turbo-ed Patrol!! However, it's clearly not for nothing that 'Sensor safe' oils & silicones etc were developed & are now used industry wide!! So no matter what K&N might say, it is probably smart to play it safe with your sensors & filter oils, gaskets, silicone sealers etc. ;)

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » August 14th, 2017, 2:47 pm

I used a Unifilter in my HJ61 for 22 years, only occasionally did I have to clean it. It stopped the fine dust from entering the intake tract and to turbo and engine. The OE filter and other paper filters all let the dust through.
In the Dmax,( I still have the original aircleaner element, changed early in life) I have 2 filter foam sets (2 layers) and as mentioned, have one clean and spare.
WAsh in turps, rinse in detergent and dry by squeezing in an old towel. Dry soon after and reoiled, ready for next time. If in a hurry dry the water rinse out after the towel with a hair dryer warm flow. Not hard at all. Because of the wash requirement, only the lazy wouldn't use a Unifilter .
I have never had anything which looked like foam oil being sucked into the airflow sensor immediately above. Those who do, must have the filter swimming for it to be sucked into the airflow meter and beyond.

When assembling mechanical parts, only sufficient silicon or sealer is needed to fill the voids in the parting faces.
Only if you have sealant dripping off the internals of the manifolds etc is there any likelyhood of a sensor,(if sensitive to the stuff) being contaminated. Once set the sealants don't keep delivering themselves to other parts of the engine.
Again, like oiling foam filters, too much is too much.
I have worked on engines where the amount of silicon beads inside engine components was amazing.There are some really dumb mechanics, and that is putting it mildly.
If any sealant is squeezed into the internals you have too much. Not hard to pre fit with a sealant bead and see what oozes inside where it shouldn't be. Unfortunately most apply far too much and close it up without EVER checking.

Little of beads of silicon sealer used to stuff up early Honda and other motorcylcle engines by a lump of silicon blocking the oil feeds to the vitals. All done by a rooly smart Ozzie who knew how to squeeze a tube of goop.

Mechanics seem to not be able to mentally note how much silicon or sealant they saw upon disassembly and how much was not hanging inside the engine, BUT they apply around 90% too much in nearly every case, oblivious to the consequences.
I generally use Loctite 516 plastic gasket as it seals extremely well and any unset material which happens to be inside the engine doesn't set and is taken away by the oil and causes no problems.

-G-man
Here and there

Unread post by -G-man » August 16th, 2017, 11:52 am

Well... there is no guarantee uniflow have the size I need.

So this could suck if they don't have one in those particular dimensions I needed.

Gonna have to get a Ryco if they don't and O well that it will cost $55 each change.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » August 16th, 2017, 10:21 pm

If they don't have one they make them. They have them for most vehicles already made, yours must be something out of the ordinary perhaps.

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”