towing 3 tonne boat, choose an stx500 or 100series TD?

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
staunchlux
Here and there

towing 3 tonne boat, choose an stx500 or 100series TD?

Unread post by staunchlux » May 11th, 2017, 2:42 pm

Gday guys. I'm getting myself a new boat soon, A big 3 tonne kevlacat. I will be getting a new tow rig soon and wondering what you guys think. Ive got about 25 grand give or take and the 2 rigs I'm looking at are either a 100 series with the mighty 1hdfte or a stx550 navara v6. Ive always wanted a 100 series but for 25 grand I'm expecting one with 350000km on it. I know they can go forever and are great tow rigs but utes are so damn handy. so my other option is an stx550 navara with about 150000km on it.
Has anyone towed a big weight with either, something around the 3 tonne mark. And also I'm a bit concerned about longevity and parts on the stx as the 7 speed auto and motor are surely not cheap to fix. I'm sure both are great tow rigs, I like the idea of towing with a big heavy cruiser, but also the long wheelbase of the navara and the power is pretty insane.
Any feedback on these 2 rigs would be great. towing is 1000km up and down north queensland highways.

V Williamson
Part of the furniture

Re: towing 3 tonne boat, choose an stx500 or 100series TD?

Unread post by V Williamson » May 11th, 2017, 9:22 pm

I won't claim to be the expert on this, but I am sure the tow vehicles you have nominated will be on the knees towing the load you suggested. Have a gawk at http://www.motoring.com.au/the-truth-ab ... ing-52878/ - I think there maybe something worthwhile here. As an example, the combination mass of vehicle and towed load cannot exceed a certain figure, which means you alone plus a bit of gear might push you over the limit! I suggest you check the specs of your preferred options and the GCM (gross combination mass) before you move. My thinking is that something like a Ford F250 or bigger might be more towards your needs, noting the linked article was saying something similar.

Joe
Here and there

Unread post by Joe » May 19th, 2017, 9:04 am

If you are limiting your choice to those two vehicles then I’d go for the 100 Series – much nicer to drive and easier to work one to service/fix. The Navara has great power figures, but it never got good write ups as a tow vehicle for some reason.

On top of that, the Navaras generally have a bit of a chassis weakness – Google ute bent chassis and see what I mean. I wouldn’t be putting 3 tonnes on the tow bar of one of those.

M543
Been here a while

Unread post by M543 » May 25th, 2017, 9:02 pm

I agree with V Williamson. If you have any interest in safety then get a bigger car.

Both the Navara and the Cruiser will most likely tow it but that is only half the equation. They also have to be able to control it. A boat that size will be more than capable of throwing either one of them out of the way if it gets the wobbles out on the highway at cruising speeds.

Those cars may have a 3000kg towing capacity but they only have to tow something that weighs that much on the end of a rope to meet the manufacturers claims. All cars will pull their maximum weight but they can not do it safely with any type of trailer or whatever that happens to weigh that much. The manufacturers don't claim they will do that, they just list a maximum capacity and it is up to the owners to work it out.

Find something that is much heavier than the boat, has the longest possible wheelbase and the shortest distance between the tow ball and the rear axle.
This link might help. http://caravanandmotorhomebooks.com/car ... -dynamics/

cmar
Avid Poster

Unread post by cmar » June 24th, 2017, 8:17 am

Yes they will probably just do the job occasionally, but if you intend to tow often, I would be looking at something like an F150 / F250, Dodge Ram, Iveco Daily, or maybe, a Defender dual cab. They will all make an easier job of it.
Haven't owned a 2WD since 1982.

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”