Removed my back seat and cargo barrier

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
jillianhr
Getting to know the place

Removed my back seat and cargo barrier

Unread post by jillianhr » April 30th, 2017, 10:40 am

Hi, I have a 76 series toyota land cruiser, It came kitted out with a drawer system and cargo barrier, I just did a trip across the Nullabour, apart from limiting the space I had, and at times it was late and difficult to put up the tent.

My brother in law in Perth took out the back seat and removed the cargo barrier, placed a board down the side and turned it into a camper for quick overnight sleeping, it was perfect with the self inflated mattress. Only thing is this legal.

The drawer system only goes back as far as the fridge which is installed on a fridge rack, and all my gear including tent, extra diesel, shovel etc, fit out of sight behind the space where the back seat is, so nothing is loose. He is going to sell the seat and cargo barrier in Perth for me, but I have asked him to hold it for a while in case I have to put it back.
JHR

jillianhr
Getting to know the place

Re: Removed my back seat and cargo barrier

Unread post by jillianhr » April 30th, 2017, 11:10 am

A Pic of the modifications.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JHR

hoyks
Avid Poster

Unread post by hoyks » May 1st, 2017, 10:10 am

If changing the number of seats, then by the letter of the law you need a modification plate.

But, by leaving the seatbelts in you could easily argue that it is only temporary and can be changed back to the factory configuration easily enough.

It all depends on how much of a knob the transport inspector/police are being on the day. The drivers attitude can greatly affect this outcome too.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » May 1st, 2017, 11:26 am

No way on earth would I sell the seating because you render it a 2 seater otherwise and also unroadworthy if inspected. When the vehicle is to be sold, even with the camping setup you won't be able to get a roadworthy until you resotre the seating and safety gear to original specs.
It is madness to sell the seats.

Joe
Here and there

Unread post by Joe » May 19th, 2017, 9:10 am

Good advice there. You really should get the vehicle replated as a two seater and then all will be well otherwise you are at the mercy of the police and transport officials and their discretion.

You are not likely to get any real problems (unless you try to re-register it when you sell it or change state) as it is not as if you are trying to fit more people i. There are hundreds of Patrols and LandCruisers driving around with their third row seats pulled out that are technically illegal and it doesn’t seem to be an issue, but they will bolt those seats back in when it comes time to re-register.

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”