How to lift ifs 1999 hilux?

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
Granger33
I'm new, be nice!

How to lift ifs 1999 hilux?

Unread post by Granger33 » April 12th, 2017, 9:34 pm

Hi I have a 1999 toyota hilux and was wondering if there was any way to lift the front without simply winding up the torsion bars? I know that the rear only needs different leafs/shackles etc but I see other ifs rigs with lifted fronts?
Thanks
hilux

jacnden
Been here a while

Re: How to lift ifs 1999 hilux?

Unread post by jacnden » April 28th, 2017, 8:42 am

Winding up your torsion bars is your only option. Really simple and effective, but every bit you wind up, you loose in down travel of your front suspension, and you don't have much to start with. And of course you increase the angles and therefore wear in your cv's
I see so many boys in older hilux's with the front so high they must have no down travel
Not sure about your car but most can do a simple diff drop with spacers that will solve your cv angles and help with down travel.

NZ LUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by NZ LUX » April 29th, 2017, 7:49 am

Diff drops do nothing at all with regard to suspension down travel. They help flatten out the angle the CV joints are on though, which helps with wear and tear on boots and the joints.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » April 29th, 2017, 9:07 am

I agree with NZ LUX. Most people don't ever look at what they have and see what is affected by various mods. They do however, take notice of rubbish which is sprouted by owners who believe many untrue things and situations.

Diff drop as NZ mentioned does not affect downtravel EVER. In fact too much diff drop will cause the drive shaft to foul on the pivot area of the suspension when droop happens.

Any diff drop only affects the drive shaft/cv in one PLANE only and does nothing for the angle of cv's when on full lock anyway. So don't power them hard when sharp turning or on lock.

gqjay
Part of the furniture

Unread post by gqjay » May 9th, 2017, 6:54 am

leave the suspension alone and do a Body Lift.
That way you not affect cv angles no diff issues no tyre ware issue and no travel issue with is there is not much in the hills from end

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”