worth putting a thermo fan in an 80 series?

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
ridgey
Here and there

worth putting a thermo fan in an 80 series?

Unread post by ridgey » March 11th, 2017, 10:27 am

howdy all.

Recently had my front mount intercooler removed to make way for winch, egt temp hasn't risen much since removing it but up steep ranges and towing normal temp increases are happening.

So my question, gotta pull the bullbar off to do the winch soon, is it worth installing a thermo fan? there is a tonne of room infront of radiator

cheers

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: worth putting a thermo fan in an 80 series?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » March 11th, 2017, 12:27 pm

Unless they are specifically designed for your vehicle & cooling system, with a fully cowled radiator & a high enough air flow capacity, thermo fans will rarely work as well as an engine driven fan when the going gets tough!! :o

Sure, they might work OK around town or even on the highway when you aren't towing hard, pushing thru a stiff head wind, or trying to maintain Hwy speeds up a loooong hill with a load aboard; but they generally aren't ideal or easy to get set up suitably to do the job properly nor do they usually move as much air as an engine driven fan can..... and the penalty for failing to keep your engine cool when it needs it most can be fairly expensive!! :eek:

Add one as an additional 'peak load' fan, sure; but just pull the engine driven fan off & throw on a thermo fan - nope, that rarely works well; & especially so if you don't get a really good (probably expensive?) unit that's properly matched to your cooling system, its capacity, the water pump, the radiator & cowling, & the desired air & water flow rates & temps. :purplex:

Over to you!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Mr Guzzi
Avid Poster

Re: worth putting a thermo fan in an 80 series?

Unread post by Mr Guzzi » April 1st, 2017, 9:39 am

Yes whacking a thermo fan on the front would certainly contribute tothe cooling but it shouldn't be necessary. I had an 80 with a similar issue to yours - I was planning a long trip and noticed the temp climbing a little as i climbed a hill with a 2T trailer. Took it to a radiator place and it turned out the radiator was knackered. It fell apart in the bloke's hand as he pulled it out

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”