Which 4x4 for 10k would you recommend?

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
-G-man
Here and there

Which 4x4 for 10k would you recommend?

Unread post by -G-man » February 26th, 2017, 10:18 pm

Hello guys,

Been a long time since i posted.

Perhaps to tell you my situation would better help in what recomendation to give me.

I have a Toyota crown, 2003 model athlete 2.5 l turbo.

It is basicaly like a mercedes. Very comfortable vehicle to drive and turn key every day reliable. It has hit 110,000km now and i would expect it to run for 500,000+.

Its the 1JZ GTE motor.

Now that car cost me 13k.

Now fast forward to today and the point of this msg.

I went with a friend of mine on roads where my car cant go. And i was pleased with what beauty is out in the mountains when you drive through them rather than around them.

I got friends that go every 3 months camping in NSW out to bridal track past bathurst.

They all do it with 4x4's and i stay home that weekend because I dont have a 4x4.

So thinking about stuff i thought.. what if i sell my crown. Get 10k for it and then buy a diesel 4x4 with that money.

I could continue doing everything im doing in city (with a 4x4 instead of car) and i can also then do the 4x4 stuff.

So it becomes my main vehicle in replacement of the one i have.

Which 4x4 turbo diesel can i get for $10,000 or so that is good and reliable?

Obviously to sell my good car for a 4x4 with problems or problems within a year or 2 down the road is a very bad move, 1 i cant afford.

So unless i can get something to last me at least next 5 years headache free, like the car i got... then theres nothing i should get.

Friend of mine has been driving a mitsubishi pajero mid 2000 model petrol all over australia, from western au, northern territory, cairns and back to nsw last 8 years hes had the car and no problems with it whatsoever. It had been very reliable and that is sort of what im after. Reliable and just goes for ever so to speak.

I seen pajeros 3.2 L diesels sell around 10k also early 2000 landcruiser prado turbo diesel 3.0L arund same price.

They all have about 350,000 km.

I like toyota, proven reliability, but i dunno about diesel engines and 350,000km sounds old as anything... nor do i know how reliable that car is in particular.

Anyway, any advice on what reliable 4x4 i can get around 10k that will not disappoint me and thus worth selling my crown to replace with 4x4... same reliability etc needed otherwise ive stuffed myself up badly.

V Williamson
Part of the furniture

Re: Which 4x4 for 10k would you recommend?

Unread post by V Williamson » February 27th, 2017, 8:37 pm

For me, it would be pointless to say one or another model vehicle is a correct choice. For a diesel 4X4 at 10k, I would simply say that you need to go over any prospective purchase with your fine tooth comb. Look for damage of any sort anywhere you can. No brand of 4X4 is immune to abuse, so look for that. Make up your mind what you think is fair wear and tear for any vehicle on offer so you can assess clearly. Does the vehicle have a service history? Unfortunately, buying 2nd hand comes complete with unknowns as you are probably well aware.

Now if your mates are going out once every three months, why not hire a 4X4 for a trip and go along. At least a hire vehicle won't be such an unknown for you as it won't be your problem a few days later. Thus might be a cheaper interim option for you if for whatever reasons you would like to keep the current drive.

-G-man
Here and there

Unread post by -G-man » February 28th, 2017, 7:59 am

Thanks for the feedback.

Once every 3 months is a specific camp out for a week. There are other things we want to do as well. So owning one we would prefer.

If i look up to 15,000, it seems the options open up. Can get 2004 model prados with under 250,000 KM and much else from other brands.

What i dont understand is...

If we settle to go with a prado...

Are they constant 4wd like the 80 series landcruiser I am more farmiliar with?
Do they have the diff lock thing the cruiser does when you put it in low for offroad? Im assuming thats the center diff that locks the front to the rear that the 80 series gxl and anniversery have.

Is it basicaly a landcruiser mechanically just in a smaller package and smaller engine?

I was reading the diesels in prados were prone to cracking.

I didnt read that about the landcruisers 4.2 TD.

So...

If we go prado, what model year am i really better off with looking at for 4x4ing?

Its kinda like 80 series or 105 series cruiser. The 80 series seems better on the diffs and axles as they use a solid one while the next model up was more made for street comfort.

So thats why i liked the 80. It seemed more offroad like designed.

I know nothing about prados, the engine choices or anything good or bad with them.

So just trying to find out with say 13,000-15,000 should i look at earlier 96-2001 prados or the newer ones are more capable like the 04/05 where the lights at front changed...

Then 3.0 DIESEL is in both the earlier 2001 as well as the 4. If thats the prone to cracking one then it seems that none of those years are good...

So what should i be looking for?

And power wise... what are the 3.2 L turbo diesels in Mitsubishi Pajero like compare to the 3.0L prados(power wise etc)

Are they perhaps a better car for the money, what about GU patrol nissans... they can be had up to 15k as well. How do they compare to what i can get here in this context?

And again which models are good and which ones were not really designed for 4x4 as i want a propper built one for 4x4?

On a side note on carsales there is a 2001 prado grande for sale around 9500. Has a minor power steering pump leak, has a 5spd auto in place of the original 4spd (good modification or indication car was stuffed) and the owner doesnt know anything about it besides that as he isnt a mechanic just bought off dealership.

Dunno if its worth looking at or not.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/det ... 6168/?Cr=0

That one there. If anyones looked at it...

V Williamson
Part of the furniture

Unread post by V Williamson » February 28th, 2017, 2:44 pm

-G-man wrote:...
Are they constant 4wd like the 80 series landcruiser I am more farmiliar with?
Do they have the diff lock thing the cruiser does when you put it in low for offroad? Im assuming thats the center diff that locks the front to the rear that the 80 series gxl and anniversery have.
According to http://www.redbook.com.au/cars/research ... ITM-279508, the answer is "yes".

They could be described as an AWD when the centre diff is unlocked. Mitsubishi have for years had this as well as hi and low range 4wd as well as 2wd rear wheel drive.

Now I seem to recall (I think..) Peter @aawen once commenting that using the AWD mode off bitumen is quite destructive for a number of reasons. The strong recommendation was 4wd once off bitumen. The "diff lock" is the mechanism that turns the vehicle drive from AWD to 4wd mode, in other words, the front and rear axles are driven at the same speed. AWD allows differential speeds of the axles. This locking is not to be confused with the differential action between wheels on the same axle, for which you might have front or rear diff locks if you want both wheels on the same axle turning together. Mits have a rear diff lock as a standard fitting on the PC Challenger (and very likely other models) but only for use for the immediate job at hand. Running front or rear diff locks without need can wear tyres very quickly.
Is it basicaly a landcruiser mechanically just in a smaller package and smaller engine?
I believe that was how it was marketed. Others will know more.
I was reading the diesels in prados were prone to cracking.

I didnt read that about the landcruisers 4.2 TD.
Hmmm, where did you read that? It might help to contact your local motoring organization (NRMA, RACV etc etc) and ask there. Also ask your own local mechanic. You may have correct information, I certainly cannot comment.
I know nothing about prados, the engine choices or anything good or bad with them.
Start learning by using the information provided by the motoring organizations as in reviews etc, Also try redbook, carsales and so on. Certainly owners of such (which I am not) can perhaps help. But again, they are not abuse proof - nor any 4wd for that matter - remember "buyer beware" and "add the appropriate amount of salt to any comment" you hear - good or bad. In other words, what you read or hear must make sense to you.
And power wise... what are the 3.2 L turbo diesels in Mitsubishi Pajero like compare to the 3.0L prados(power wise etc)
http://www.redbook.com.au/cars/research ... ITM-258545
All I am doing is looking at redbook again and in the link is the engine specs. According to these specs and the similar prado specs in the earlier link, you can see the mits is "ahead" of the Toyota, ie more power and torque and higher power to weight ratio. Same year models by the way. But is that the complete story? Have a bit of careful thought before deciding.
That one there. If anyones looked at it...
This has to be absolutely your call at the end of the day. Questions in my mind are about the "warranty" (whatever that was) for the age of the vehicle. Statutory warranty ran out years and km's ago. And warranty transfer?? Hmmm ...really...? I would check very carefully on this. And the 5sp transmission in place of the original.... yeah.... hmmm... (again!) Honestly, that worries me. What compatible transmission would have been dropped in. Easy to say "better fuel economy", but manufacturers adopted their designs, say 4sp in this case, for very likely sound engineering reasons. If I decided to replace the standard trans with something else, I would very much want to be assured that I would not be stranding myself with an unnecessary breakdown somewhere. Especially off road, I want reliability. Maybe go and have a gawk but be prepared to say "no thanks" - anyway, you don't have to buy the first thing you see. A gawk might assist you in setting up your assessment check sheet for the vehicle you do want.

so that is my 2c worth for the moment.

cmar
Avid Poster

Unread post by cmar » March 10th, 2017, 8:41 am

Mate there is nothing wrong with Prados, but like most Toyota stuff, whilst it is good - make no mistake, it's not that much better than the opposition to justify the price premium in some cases.

Remember car makers and dealers price their products at what they think they can get, not necessarily what they are worth. This is why late model used Nissan Patrols with the four cylinder diesel are a bargain, even though most of that engine's problems have been fixed.
And Toyotas are not immune to problems either. Early model CR 3.0L diesels suffered from injector sticking problems, injector seal leakage problems, and oil sludging in bot Prado and Hilux versions.

Although it is sold as a "baby Landcruiser" by Toyota marketing, it owes more of its heritage to the Hilux and 4 Runner models. It really doesn't have much more connection to a Landcruiser than the name, and the usual corporate parts bin shares.

As for replacing a 4 speed gearbox with a five, well it might just have died, wasn't rebuildable, or the transmission shop didn't happen to have a good Aisin 4 speed available, or said that the 5 speed was a better box for similar money. Could be a myriad of reasons. My main concern would be that as both are electronic boxes that the ECU was changed out, or matched up properly.

I would suggest you take a look at some other vehicles in the same or similar demographic before jumping in. Nissan Pathfinders, Pajeros, Challengers, Hyundai Terracan, and first version Kia Sorento are all good reliable 4x4 wagons which come with a diesel option.
You might be able to find a near pristine less popular model, with a much lower mileage for the same price.
Haven't owned a 2WD since 1982.

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”