Advice wanted for new family 4x4

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
BuyerToBe
Here and there

Advice wanted for new family 4x4

Unread post by BuyerToBe » February 23rd, 2017, 8:28 pm

Hi all,

Would love some advice on buying a new 4x4. We're after something that fits the following:

- Comfortable as a daily driver to work through Brisbane traffic (reasonably quiet and refined)
- Good boot space for camping about once every month or two (Usually in the bush, occasionally Bribie / Fraser Island. Rarely anything too seriously off-road.)
- Fuel efficiency and reliability both very important. We plan to keep it for a very long time.
- Needs to be kid-friendly and good for family of four (isofix points, easy enough to get a baby into the seat and the stroller in the boot/tray).
- road trips every second weekend or so (1 or 2 hours to the beach or bush)
- Ideally no more than $40k
- Minimal towing, if any. Just the occasional trailer for the garden.
- Looking at new or near new/ex-demo (most likely a novated lease through work)

After a lot of research and test drives we've narrowed it down to the new Pajero Sport, dual cab Triton, potentially Hilux (though it's stretching the budget) or Subaru Outback. At this stage leaning most heavily towards the Pajero Sport, as it seems to tick the most boxes for us. If anybody has other suggestions to throw into the mix please do so.

A few specific questions:

1. Are new Subarus known to have turbo-diesel issues? The dealer kept trying to discourage me, but the Paj Sport dealer didn't.
2. Would we likely get more long term reliability/longevity going with the Triton over the Pajero Sport?
3. Would the ladder chassis on the Paj Sport / Triton be more robust and reliable long term than the monocoque Outback? Is this even a factor when most its life will (sadly) be on sealed roads?
4. How much of a gamble is the Pajero Sport when it hasn't been proven in the real world much yet?

Any and all advice, suggestions etc would be great. Thanks!

mickkk
Here and there

Re: Advice wanted for new family 4x4

Unread post by mickkk » February 24th, 2017, 12:47 am

The paj sport is the same as the triton. Well much the same up till behind the back seats.
So both will be as reliable as each other. Can get them in 7 seat now too. The paj will be a little more comfortable than the leaf sprung ute.
Do you want more space, or a bit more comfort and the option of 7 seats.

Not too sure on the outback. It's in a different class. No low range. But it's a very nice looking SUV.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » February 24th, 2017, 1:56 am

As nice as they are, the Subaru Outbacks aren't really a 4x4 - not by any stretch of the imagination!!

They are a Passenger car with an AWD drivetrain & an upright seating position that just happens to be good enough at doing what was designed for bitumen road use that with the addition of a tiny bit more ground clearance it's also pretty good at driving on reasonable quality dirt roads; features which some people have taken to mean that they can safely be used 'off road' in the rough stuff... And yeah, if you have no care for the life of your vehicle, you can probably do that, just like you can drive your Toyota Camry or your Holden Commodore off road!! :rolleyes:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

BuyerToBe
Here and there

Unread post by BuyerToBe » February 24th, 2017, 9:37 am

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess the question with the Outback is - is it capable enough and reliable enough that it will serve our purposes while making the day-to-day commute to work more comfortable than the Paj Sport/Triton 'truck'. I just don't want to get a big truck and then realise in a year or two that the Outback would have served perfectly well while also being more comfortable and cheaper to run. I guess only I can answer that question!

Also, anybody know about Subaru turbo diesels? I found it weird that the dealer was rubbishing them, when the Mitsubishi dealer said it would be no problem with the Paj Sport. I'm not sure if there's a real issue here or if one dealer just didn't want to sell me a car and the other did.

I should also mention we'd be getting the 5 seat Paj Sport rather than the 7, for the extra boot space.

mickkk
Here and there

Unread post by mickkk » February 24th, 2017, 10:16 am

I wouldn't be taking a out back anywhere I wouldn't take a falcon. If it's a very odd fire trail, then nah e risk it.
But if you want to do the rough inland tracks of Frasier than you will need a 4wd.
There's a massive difference between 4wd and AWD. Even just being able to handle a fire trail/ dirt road in a national park. Could do it in an outback, but won't handle the corrugations like a 4wd.
I used to do a lot of tracks like that in a falcon when I was much younger. But it was a little worse for ware when I sold it.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » February 24th, 2017, 10:40 am

BuyerToBe, I think you are missing the critical point here.... :whyme: If you want an Outback to serve as your daily driver, it'll certainly do that very well - but not for too long if you take it out doing stuff like Bribie/Fraser Island &/or Bush tracks!! You should always think about an Outback as being just a nicer & more sure footed Camry or Commodore/Falcon & plan on ONLY EVER driving it on the same sort of roads & into the same sort of places you'd drive one of them - despite their All-Wheel drive, AN OUTBACK IS NOT A 4WD!!

So if you want to go that way, be very clear in your mind that an Outback, which is certainly a great car & is pretty handy on good dirt roads, IS NOT DESIGNED to drive on anything more taxing than a well formed & well maintained dirt road, ie, something that is ready to take a layer of bitumen & be a 'real road' immediately afterwards!! Using it on anything less than good roads WILL accelerate wear & tear on it; WILL significantly shorten its potential life; and almost certainly WILL at some stage result in damage or component failures that are likely to put it in the repair shop for a week or more as well as cost you a fair bit to repair - and all this WILL significantly detract from its value come end of lease/trade in time!!

If you want a 4x4, then buy A 4x4 & NOT an SUV!! If you take anything & everything on your list that is not what you'd do in a Camry or a Commodore/Falcon out of that list of wants that you put up in your original post, then THAT's what an Outback will be really good at doing; & you should really expect to do no more than that without being very aware that it WILL cost you & it is VERY LIKELY to leave you stuck &/or stranded with a busted vehicle at the worst possible time simply because you chose to do with it things that those vehicles were never designed to do in the first place! Sure, some people may boast that they've 'done the Simpson' or the Cape in theirs, but either the people who do this sort of stuff don't hafta pay for the vehicles they trash doing it, or they are pretty foolish people with absobloodylutely no idea & besides, those vehicles are almost invariably scrapped pretty soon after those sorts of trips!! :eek: Or they drove up the Development Road to the Cape, probably getting towed 'engine off' thru all the Dips & little creek crossings deeper than 2 inches on that road & even so probably still had to fork out for a whole load of repairs when they got home - or maybe they left their vehicle with the wrecker up there & came home on the Ferry?!?

From what you've told us you want to do & what you want from your vehicle, the Outback is simply NOT a contender at all - not unless you drop all the 4x4 stuff anyway! Maybe that Subaru Dealer was just trying to dissuade you from selecting a vehicle that would see you back complaining it was busted just because it was clearly NOT going to be up to what you were telling him you wanted to do, only he was trying to do it without being rude.... :o
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

BuyerToBe
Here and there

Unread post by BuyerToBe » February 24th, 2017, 11:14 am

That's exactly the sort of info I was looking for - thank you. I see a lot of Outback owners saying they can 'do it all', but my concern is more about longevity of the vehicle than whether they can do it or not and your post helps clear that up. Sounds like the Paj Sport/ Triton should offer better longevity with our needs.

I don't hear much bad stuff about the older generation Tritons but seems like the new Paj Sport hasn't been out long enough to uncover any issues. If anybody has words of advice /caution it would be great to hear them. We're leaning towards this over the Challenger because of more comfort, new car warranty and (supposedly) better fuel economy.
Peter Aawen wrote:only he was trying to do it without being rude.... :o
Haha, yes quite possibly. He was very keen to sell me a petrol model though! :lol:

mickkk
Here and there

Unread post by mickkk » February 24th, 2017, 2:27 pm

Check out newtriton.net.
They will tell you all the problems they have seen a few times. But this has to be taken with a grain of salt. On forums you will hear the worst of everything, and model has "common" faults.
These faults generally appear because of people wanting to push the boundarys of the cars design limits. Modifying, heavy off road work, etc etc. (I know, I was/am one of them)

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » February 24th, 2017, 5:45 pm

What about the a new Isuzu ute/MU?
I think they both tick all your boxes and have a
great track record.

BuyerToBe
Here and there

Unread post by BuyerToBe » February 25th, 2017, 9:43 am

Yeah, exactly my train of thought too. That solid reputation is definitely appealing and I like how it didn't have automatic everything and had normal size wheels without the fancy low profiles.I test drove the MUX with very high hopes but it was just too noisy and truck-like for the daily driver aspect. This was the new version too, with the improved noise/vibration handling. Getting from that back into my 2001 Pajero IO felt like switching to a luxury car (totally different class of vehicle though, I know).

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » February 25th, 2017, 5:14 pm

Mate, then you should drive my old TF rodeo, everything after will feel like a
Rolls...

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”