Help Me Choose A Wagon

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
milky4x4
Here and there

Help Me Choose A Wagon

Unread post by milky4x4 » February 22nd, 2017, 10:12 pm

Hey everyone, I'm considering purchasing a wagon.

The choice is between Prado, Pajero Exceed, Patrol and Discovery 3 HSE, 2007 model and up.

The budget is around $20,000.

It will be mainly a family car, 7 seats is a must. Will be 4wding weekends.

Am leaning towards either a Pajero Exceed or Discovery HSE.

Would love pro's and cons of vehicles and also any advice.

I DON'T want to start a badge war, would just love some unbiased advice on the vehicles to help in my research.

Thanks everyone!

cmar
Avid Poster

Re: Help Me Choose A Wagon

Unread post by cmar » February 22nd, 2017, 10:39 pm

Any of those will do the job quite nicely.

Watch the engine on the Patrol, they're better than the earlier ones, but still a bit on the fragile side. If you are not going to tow a 10 tonne caravan, or 20 foot boat or run tyres that would big on a John Deere, it should be fine, the rest of the car is pretty tough and unbreakable.

Watch the independant rear suspension on the Pajero if you overload it, the wheels will squat and wear out the inside tread. Some models were prone to carbon contamination of the intake manifold, fixed I believe on later models. Mono body is a little harder to fit accessories like bullbars and recovery points to, but despite what some will tell you, still plenty strong enough for off roading. Pajero's are also nicely kitted out for the money.

Discos - well they are Landrovers, better than they used to be, but still prone to niggling little problems that you will feel really, they should have fixed by now, (Just make friends with your local Land Rover parts supplier). But take it from someone who once owned a Rangie, despite this, they do grow on you. :) Their off road ability is excellent too.
Haven't owned a 2WD since 1982.

Clarkey16
Been here a while

Unread post by Clarkey16 » February 23rd, 2017, 7:48 am

I would go the Paj! Parts availability, aftermarket accessories & local knowledge to keep them running is readily available across Oz.

I would love to have a Disco 3 but the killer for me was the service costs & service knowledge. Its one of those vehicles that you need to educate yourself on & be prepared to do a lot of work yourself. You will need a proper OBDII diagnostic tool with the Disco, not a phone app but a tool! (I have Autoenginuity) makes life a lot easier when you are hunting for a fault.

Patrol. Fantastic base to build a tuff off road tourer but its a truck, forget about U turns now its 3 or maybe a 4 point turn lol ;) I personal would fall out of love with it pretty quickly as a daily drive.

Prado (monocoque ones). Have heard of fire walls cracking from those who do serious off road. Was on my short list but this & the fact anything under 200,000k's are over priced.
Yes I did! Built with spanners not chop sticks!

milky4x4
Here and there

Unread post by milky4x4 » February 23rd, 2017, 11:07 am

Thanks for the input guys. I do have a friend who is pretty knowledgable with Disco's, and he has a mini network of guys who know their stuff, also one has a proper diagnostics tool for Disco's... my only concern is the "niggling problems", as my friend always seems to have something wrong with his Disco. When it does go though, it's an awesome vehicle. Very comfortable and capable on and off road.

I don't have any experience with Pajero's, but they do seem great bang for buck and I always see good examples with massive kms on them for sale, so they must last the distance.... I guess I'll just keep my eye out on the two models and choose which ever one comes up that seems the best value.

Thanks guys.

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » February 24th, 2017, 5:48 pm

As an ex Disco owner I would buy the Pajero...well actually I would look at a Patrol or a Landcruiser. I like them just a little bit more...

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”