Any issues Buying 4WD's with over 100,000kms?

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
T.B.G.
Been here a while

Any issues Buying 4WD's with over 100,000kms?

Unread post by T.B.G. » February 3rd, 2017, 9:55 pm

Hi all,

Hopefully you dont shut me down straight off the bat, i cant seem find the information i want to know so if you can help itll be much appreciated.

So like the title suggests im looking at getting a 4wd around the 2012-13 age and most have done a little over 100,000kms. Im wondering what issues are likely to arise with a ute with that many kms. Or is it worth pushing my budget up a bit to get one under 100,000kms. Budgets around 30k-32k

Utes im interested in are automatic PX Ranger/BT-50, RG Colie or Amarok.

cheers in advance

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Re: Any issues Buying 4WD's with over 100,000kms?

Unread post by BigDutchy » February 4th, 2017, 7:28 am

To be honest, I never bought a 4WD under the 100.000km.
My Land cruiser with 265.000 KM on the clock did not need doing much at all. Just normal maintenance. My Rodeo (256.000) needed a few bushes here and there, there was an oil leak and some other stuff. I spend about $2500 to get that thing spot on.
To be honest with a car of about 4 to 5 years I would have it checked and checked again but I would not expect to much trouble if it has been maintained well.
My cars are always a bit older. Parts that fail are mostly just old and need to be replaced.
I just bought a Delica and kept $3000 for repairs....I am now nearly there but I did plan for it and did expect this to happen.

Cheers

mickkk
Here and there

Unread post by mickkk » February 4th, 2017, 11:12 am

It all depend what sort of k s those 100,000 were.
If it's got a service history, looks to be mostly highway/ blacktop kms than you could be a lot more confident.
If it's got a lot of red dust, dings and scratches underneath, on bash plates. If it's looks to have done a bit of beach work, etc I would be cautious.
I would try to find out as much history as possible and go with gut feeling and hope for the best.

Also gotta weigh up that for your budget you could get a brand new triton. My xl ranger only cost 42. But then you gotta allow for accessories etc.

itchyvet
Here and there

Unread post by itchyvet » February 13th, 2017, 8:01 pm

I bought my second Patrol 4 years ago, 2006 Auto, from Toyota dealership in Morley, W.A. It had 125,000 K's on the clock and had documented service history.
From my observations, it had been used as a tow unit for a caravan, thus had done little serious off road work. No dings or scratches. Continued to service it regularly at 5,000 K intervals despite the manufacturer's claims of 10,000 K's. Remember, the manufacturers are in the business of selling cars, thus the sooner your favorite ride bites the dust, the better for them. Wheel balances and alignment at regular 10,000 K's also help to maintain things.
Regards the engine, the 3 litre fitted to the 2006 is a different engine from the earlier versions. It's also very relevant to ensure you have the proper radiator inhibitor and ensure you flush/clean/refill with deminerlised water and GENUINE Nissan radiator inhibitor; failing to do so will guarantee over heating issues further down the line. Trust me, you need to avoid that at all costs.

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”