Thoughts about swapping 2006 Hilux for a tuff 2003?

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
tough80series
I'm new, be nice!

Thoughts about swapping 2006 Hilux for a tuff 2003?

Unread post by tough80series » January 6th, 2017, 7:44 pm

I have a 2006 model hilux dual cab turbo diesel, flat tray, pretty standard except for wheels; was looking at trading it on a 2003 model hilux dual cab, 3 litre turbo, fully rebuilt motor, 35s, front locker, 4 inch sky jacker lift kit, race seats, 3 inch exhaust; tuff bus! what's peoples thoughts? cheers.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Thoughts about swapping 2006 Hilux for a tuff 2003?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 6th, 2017, 10:21 pm

Unless you are coming out of the deal with the older vehicle AND a substantial wad of cash, IMHO you'd be a sucker to be back trading to an older & most likely, a pretty hard used vehicle like that, regardless of the fripperies!! :crazy:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

NZ LUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by NZ LUX » January 7th, 2017, 10:00 am

To bring you back down to ground level with some facts:

There is nothing tougher on the older model hilux compared to your one. The 1998-2005 Hilux were the first of the "softer" generation luxes. Although they can still go places if driven sensibly.

35 inch tyres with a front locker and a small 7.5" front diff. This is a recipe for a blown diff if not driven with care.

That 4" skyjacker lift only spaces the entire independent front suspension assembly downwards from it's factory location. It does nothing to improve wheel travel or ride quality, so you're still stuck with crappy suspension flex/articulation.

Is it a factory 3.0L turbo 1KZ engine or a 3.0 5L that has had an aftermarket turbo fitted?

I don't mean to be a downer, but this could save potential disappointment in the future when this hilux under performs from your expectations.

I used to have one of these so I know what to watch out for.

tough80series
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by tough80series » January 7th, 2017, 12:48 pm

its an original 1kz turbo and he wants to chuck a r1 road bike 2003 model on top aswell

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » January 7th, 2017, 9:29 pm

Sounds like the other guy is REALLY keen on yours,. . . . I would be very wary.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 8th, 2017, 1:43 am

Like typhoeus says, sounds like the other guy is REALLY keen on yours, .... so I too would be VERY wary!! You say he's so keen that he is prepared to 'swap' or 'give away' vehicles that very likely could see him with a wad of cash sufficient to buy something like yours from a dealer.... but he hasn't & he's trying to swing a deal like this?! Why on earth not? What's wrong with the vehicles or what is stopping him from selling privately or to a dealer?? Surely you can see that you've gotta ask yourself 'Why?' Do you know him well? Does anyone you know & trust, know him well? Or is he just someone you just met down the pub/on the tracks/at a 4wd gathering somewhere or something like that?? Has he mentioned or have either of you thought about how you both are going to sort things like title transfers & stamp duty payments?? Cos you've now told the world that this deal might happen, so trying to swing a swifty of any sort on those now might not be such a smart idea at all!! :petrified:

I know I might be a little bit of a cynical old fart (I earned that title the hard way!) & he might be as pure as the driven snow & as honest as the day is long..... but really, if he's got these 2 vehicles that he's ready & entitled to sell/swap then why hasn't he already just sold either or both vehicles & bought something suitable himself, or sold them & offered you a cash deal that you can't refuse if he's SO keen on YOUR Hilux?? What impediment to doing something like that is there?? What's stopping him from selling the car AND the bike legitimately & coming to you with a wad of cash sufficient to convince you to sell?? To me, this whole thing is sounding more & more suss with everything extra little bit you tell us?!? I'd recommend that you be VERY VERY wary!! :eek:

Generally, if something looks or sounds too good to be true, then it isn't true or even at least as straight forward as it might seem at first glance!! :purplex:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

tough80series
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by tough80series » January 8th, 2017, 9:54 am

Thanks for all the advise appreciate it and im just going to keep my 2006 hilux and just do a couple more things to it better off i think.

V Williamson
Part of the furniture

Unread post by V Williamson » January 8th, 2017, 3:49 pm

tough80series wrote:.... fully rebuilt motor, ....what's peoples thoughts? cheers.
Whilst it seems you have made your mind up to NOT proceed with the deal, I would probably reinforce that decision by asking how you would determine, without extensive testing, what the quality of that rebuild is. Unfortunately, even some "well qualified" mechanics can rebuild an engine as a boat anchor. It does happen.

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”