New here - How do I remove rear brgs from an '09 Hilux?

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
rieba68
I'm new, be nice!

New here - How do I remove rear brgs from an '09 Hilux?

Unread post by rieba68 » December 31st, 2016, 2:27 pm

Hi, new to the forum. I'm struggling to remove the rear bearings from my 2009 Hilux, & just wondering if anyone has any ideas? I've used a 10ton press with no luck; the book states there's a clip - but AFAIK there is no clip! I've removed the inner retainer and all that is left is the speed sensor cog bearing and backing plate. It will not come off!! Arrrrrgh! Please help?!
Bluey :crazy: :rolleyes:

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: New here - How do I remove rear brgs from an '09 Hilux?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 31st, 2016, 6:18 pm

Welcome aboard rieba68! :frog:

I've sent you a PM (message) about how your post got here from where it was; & now, hopefully it'll soon get an answer that's more helpful than this one! :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » December 31st, 2016, 9:11 pm

If you have the new bearings, get a cut off wheel to fit your grinder and carefully cut thru the outer race until you can get it off, then cut the inner race, parallel to the axle so you don't cut into the axle. Cut as close as you can. when you have cut off a sliver, the part left will be very thin, and also lost its hardness so a couple of hits with a hammer & cold chisel will spread it enough for it to come off. Good luck

cmar
Avid Poster

Unread post by cmar » January 5th, 2017, 7:12 pm

Yes I was also going to say carefully cut them off with a cutting disk. I've also heard you can bang the axle down onto concrete whils holding the backing plate - I don't recommend this method but it alledgedly works. To get the new ones on without a press, just heat the bearing up in some boiling oil, and if you can, put the axle into the freezer, (if you have a chest freezer) the bearing will then just literally drop on. Otherwise you can use a bit of heavy wall pipe the same size as the inner race and a BBH.
Haven't owned a 2WD since 1982.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 5th, 2017, 7:51 pm

If you are going to try the 'banging the axle onto concrete whilst holding the backing plate' thing, I'd STRONGLY recommend that you slip a fairly solid lump of close grained hard-wood between the axle & the concrete before banging away!!

Bang an axle hard enough to free the bearing & directly onto the concrete at anything besides exactly 90 degrees & you stand a good chance of adding a bend to the axle that will make life & that axle's future use bloody difficult; & just banging it onto the concrete alone has been known to stuff the spline on the end of the axle - permanently!! :gurn: Banging onto the solidly supported lump of wood will generally achieve the desired end but save you from any of those issues & maybe a few others too!! ;)

Good Luck! :thumb:

Ps: If you don't have a big enough press, I can't support that 'boiling oil & chest freezer' method strongly enough!! Not hard to do, makes fitting everything up properly a whole lot easier - and unlike the BBH method or reverting to an over-large 'knockonometer', you'll rarely stuff things up enough to need to pull it all apart again! Double :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

cmar
Avid Poster

Unread post by cmar » January 12th, 2017, 8:28 pm

Yes Peter, I should have suggested the block of hardwood. As I said I don't recommend that method, but I guess if you have no other way.

V Williamson
Part of the furniture

Unread post by V Williamson » January 15th, 2017, 10:20 am

I'll have to point out the "ultimate" bearing freeze story here.

Well its was actually a crankpin that was chilled. In 1988, the famous NSW steam loco, 3801, did its second transcontinental trip from Sydney to Perth. Some distance from Perth in the early hours of the morning, a bearing on one of two main crankpins failed (the pin that supports the piston rod which then further distributes power via the other wheel connecting rods). The result was a bent crankpin. So far from home and in a different era - remember we are dealing with a steam loco - the faulty pin was drilled out and a new pin was chilled in liquid nitrogen before being dropped in the hole and there was about a minute or so before expansion would lock the pin in place.

It was a remarkable effort and stood the test of time. Sorry it doesn't help on a hilux.

ian.gonzo
Here and there

Unread post by ian.gonzo » January 15th, 2017, 3:26 pm

Its a good story though

cmar
Avid Poster

Unread post by cmar » February 18th, 2017, 10:10 pm

Where did they find liquid N2 so far from home?

V Williamson
Part of the furniture

Unread post by V Williamson » February 19th, 2017, 12:02 pm

The loco fault was not far out of Perth and it was towed back Perth. So the job was done in the railway workshops and a supply of N2 was no problem.

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”