Which diesel SWB "proper" fourby?

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
Not for highway use
Here and there

Which diesel SWB "proper" fourby?

Unread post by Not for highway use » December 1st, 2016, 8:28 pm

Hi All,
I am a powerline vegetation inspector and I need a SWB proper fourby for work. Not a soft roader like a Xtrail etc but one I can get decent bits for. Just starting my business so looking to spend no more than $10k if possible. MUST be diesel because I go through alot of paddocks, rivers and long grass. Currently I am driving a late model Triton which has never failed me but I won't be needing a ute anymore.

Short list includes KJ Cherokee, Pajero (very rare), older Prado. Apart from that I'm kind of stuck.

Any help appreciated.
NFHU
Wannabe hasbeen

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Re: Which diesel SWB "proper" fourby?

Unread post by BigDutchy » December 1st, 2016, 8:41 pm

Hello mate

Regarding the KJ Cherokee....do some research. This lead me to not even looking at one.
Have a look at the Landcruiser, they look like the Bundera but they are not. I am sure that people know what I mean.
Also look at a swb Patrol.
Why short wheel base?
Having had a smaller 4WD and a full size 4WD I found the longer 4WD easier to pack and store gear in, a bit more comfortable and maybe even easier to drive when off road.

Cheers

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 2nd, 2016, 12:15 pm

Maybe give us a bit more idea about what you mean by 'one I can get decent bits for'?? And as Big D says above, why the SWB spec??

There are a few older 4WD's out there that, while not actually being classed as 'SWB' may well fit the bill, IF we had an idea of what your specific need for 'SWB' was?!?

That said, I'm really with Big D on the 'having had a smaller 4WD and a full size 4WD & I found the larger 4WD' bit.... In fact, I have owned SWB & LWB Patrols & I still have small & SWB 4WD's in a Suzi & a Feroza as well as still having a LWB Patrol, so I'm not speaking without a bit of a real understanding of all this - all other things being equal (like with the SWB/LWB Patrols) the LWB is better in pretty much every respect except maybe for a tiny difference in performance & fuel economy, & that was more than compensated for by the additional comfort, room, ride, handling, stability, and consequent safety that the longer wheel base vehicles bring with them!!!

Maybe a Mid Wheel Base vehicle like the late 90's TDi Daihatsu Rocky's, or something a bit more up-market & recent like a Discovery would suit? Or one of the short wheel base Defender 80's?
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Not for highway use
Here and there

Unread post by Not for highway use » December 2nd, 2016, 7:38 pm

Thanks guys for the input. For the type of work I do which is driving all over Central West NSW looking at vegetation near powerlines number one it has to be diesel as Ive outlined before. Also 4WD. As for the SWB alot of the places I go a larger fourby won't be able to squeeze into. A smaller turning circle makes a big difference to be able to get in/ get out and onto the next job. Also as I already have an 80 series (Petrol), an HJ47 and a Kluger my touring and tugboat duties are taken care of. Also my daughter is learning to drive and a SWB may be easier for her to drive.

I've had plenty of SWBs in the past from Sierras to the Grey import Izuzu MUs (great car BTW). Fuel economy is also pretty important too.A SWB Disco may be worth looking into so thanks for the tip

Cheers
Wannabe hasbeen

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”