Large water tanks for rear tray? Self Sufficient setup.

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
Bruosk
Here and there

Large water tanks for rear tray? Self Sufficient setup.

Unread post by Bruosk » November 16th, 2016, 6:10 pm

Considering the idea of a 300-400L plastic tank that sits on the tray. Ideally a low rectangular shaped one. So I could be self sufficient with water needs for a few weeks. I had in mind two uses, firstly running a tap for all filling & washing needs, & also a pump to the container for running a shower.

Is this too much water to be safe while driving? I see as long as its full there shouldn't be much movement of the body of water.

If not what alternatives?

thanks

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Re: Large water tanks for rear tray? Self Sufficient setup.

Unread post by stockhorse » November 16th, 2016, 8:38 pm

1 litre of water weighs 1kg so the changes to the suspension (ride quality and height ) would be a real pita
2 litres of water per person per day should be plenty.

Bruosk
Here and there

Unread post by Bruosk » November 17th, 2016, 4:46 pm

stockhorse wrote:1 litre of water weighs 1kg so the changes to the suspension (ride quality and height ) would be a real pita.
It won't matter, the 4wd I had in mind like a workhorse is capable of heavy loads & the rest of the stuff will balance it out over the vehicle. Finally the ride isn't important, just take it slow on mild offroad terrain.
stockhorse wrote:2 litres of water per person per day should be plenty.
Yes I'm aware of water needs, and with 2-4 people plus washing dishes 300-400L will be required.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » November 17th, 2016, 5:16 pm

Bruosk wrote:...Yes I'm aware of water needs, and with 2-4 people plus washing dishes 300-400L will be required.
I dunno Bruosk, with 400 odd litres of water & 4 people being appropriately careful & managing water usage without waste while travelling almost anywhere in Aust apart from the NW or our Deserts during the hot dry season, you would probably be OK for about 30 days or so, IF you need to be!! So with any fewer people you should be able to readily make it thru just a couple of weeks swimmingly with that much water!! :thumb:

Back while I was running a (successful?!) business supporting people doing extreme walks/bike rides etc in remote & un-forgiving areas, we often managed like that for those sorts of durations; altho the harder/hotter the walking/riding task, the more water the active participants needed to drink - are you planning on walking 20+ kms or riding 100+ kms a day?! BUT SERIOUSLY, rather than carrying one biiig container for all that water, I found it MUCH SAFER & easier to manage by using many smaller containers & keeping the water load broken up & down as low as possible. That way it's easier to keep the load low, small containers can be stuffed in those little gaps left amongst other gear - and keeping that load low is CRITICAL once you are off road; and if one container broke it didn't mean we had to call the whole thing off!! Damage one or 2 containers & you might lose 10 or 20 litres, which means you might need to ration water for washing for a few days, but no-one dies of thirst or gets sick!! Puncture your ONE container & not notice it for a day, and you & your passengers may well be in real trouble!! :eek:

I'd strongly suggest many small containers packed low over one large tank on the tray any day; & not just from the impact one big but half empty container would have on your 4WD'ing & stability!! ;)

Ps: those placcy bags full of water that are like wine cask innards are pretty robust & will pack/stuff into all sorts of cunning little holes to help keep the load down low... you'd be surprised at how much water will fit into door panels & 1/4 panels etc!! :sillywink:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

hoyks
Avid Poster

Unread post by hoyks » November 17th, 2016, 5:20 pm

I had a 100l and it enhanced the ride of my old Courier.
2L/day is if you are doing nothing. Add in some work and it rises. Working hard it is easy to git rid of 5-7L/day, and that is just for drinking.

For the quantity you are looking at, then I'd suggest a trailer.
500kg (your min) + tank weight and 4 people? All of a sudden you haven't got any room for camping gear or food without being seriously over weight.
Any 1 ton ute on the market won't carry 1 ton off road for any considerable distance without being damaged.

It is do-able easily in a box trailer though, with a 1000L poly cube in a cage (under $100 on gumtree). It will also give you flexibility when setting up the camp and moving around as you don't have to haul the extra 500kg all the time.

The other option is to use local water for washing and save the potable stuff you are carrying for drinking and cooking. It will go a lot further then.

For a vehicle tank, have a look at these. They are made to fit between the rails under the tray or between the wheel arches, so the load is nice and low and they are out of the way. They also come up on eBay, reasonably priced for what they are. 130L is the biggest of those though.
http://www.enmachind.com.au/product-cat ... ter-tanks/

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”