How should I set up my Lights for roo spotting?

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
Nacho
I'm new, be nice!

How should I set up my Lights for roo spotting?

Unread post by Nacho » October 22nd, 2016, 6:53 pm

Hey guys,

Recently bought my first 4wd and am looking at upgrading the lighting to try and decrease my chances of hitting a roo at night. Have done lots of research and here are the options I am considering at the moment:

1) 2 spot lights on the bullbar + two 6in light bars on the out side rails of the bull bar, facing slightly outwards.

2) 2 spot lights on the bullbar + two 22in light bars on the roof, facing slightly outwards.

3) 2 spot lights on the bullbar + one 32 or 40in curved light bar on the roof.

4) 2 spot lights on the bullbar facing forwards + 2 smaller spot lights on the roof facing slightly outwards.

As we all know the roos on the road aren't the major concern when driving on country roads. Its the roos on the side of the road who often kamikaze out in front of you from out of no where. This is why I'm looking at options at increasing light output on the edges of the road.

I like option 1 because its the cheapest, however I'm not sure if the 6in bars would throw light far enough to provide any real advantage in spotting roo's on the side of the road.
Option 2 is probably a good all rounder option, though I'm pretty sure it is illegal to have lights on the roof turned on when driving on the road in QLD. This option would probably produce the best light output, excluding option 4.
Option 3 is probably the most expensive, but also the simplest and easiest to install. Again this option has the lights on the roof though. Also not sure how much outwards light a curved bar actually outputs.
Option 4 is probably overkill, but I think would by far be the best of them all for sheer light output and viewing distance. However it would also be the most expensive by far and also has lights on the roof.

Let me know what you guys think would be the best for increasing my viewing distance. Or if maybe I missed a setup that you guys think would be better?

Cheers

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Re: Lights for roo spotting

Unread post by stockhorse » October 22nd, 2016, 8:07 pm

Firstly lights on the roof are legal in Qld and no longer have to be fitted in pairs.
Remember you are in a 4x4 not a race car so, IMHO, you really don't need more than 400 mtrs in front of you well illuminated. You have said you want side of the road illumination for spotting roos so LED light bar will give you the best spread for that.
Do not angle the light bar outward as you will create shadows (light and dark patches of light) that will strain your eyes.The light bars are designed to face forward.
You need to tell us not the size but the wattage of the light bars you are talking about in your various set ups.
Set up 4 is not going to do what you want it to
set up 1 probably won't either depending on the output of the 6" bars.
set up 2 would only need 1 22" bar and be pretty good depending again on output
set up 3 is probably over kill and not the most expensive (The 2 22" bars is probably most expensive)
Get back to us when you have worked out wattages of the light bars you are thinking of.

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » October 22nd, 2016, 8:54 pm

I'm looking at a lightbar instead of spotties on my new vehicle. The spread of light to the verges where roos lurk is more useful on winding roads in the hilly country here than being able to see miles down the road. Inland I expect people travel faster so spotties for distance may be more helpful.

Haven't been in a hurry as the factory headlights on my late model 105 are way better than the dim little lights that were on my 60.

Nacho
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Nacho » October 22nd, 2016, 9:01 pm

By facing outwards I mean only like 5 degrees so hardly at all, but just enough that they are not facing directly forwards.

And i thought it was the quality of the reflector first and foremost that determined light output? Obviously wattage is important but i thought reflector quality was key.

Either way the 6in bars are rated at 12x3W LEDs for a total of 36W and a claimed lumen rating of 1200.
The 22in bars are rated at 40x3W LEDs for a total of 120W and a claimed lumen rating of 3918.
The 32in bars are rated at 60x3W LEDs for a total of 180W and a claimed lumen rating of 5870.

And havent decided on the spotties yet but would either go 2 7in spotties at 160W for a combined lumen output of 10000, or 2 9in spotties at 160W for a combined lumen output of 18000.

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Re: How should I set up my Lights for roo spotting?

Unread post by stockhorse » October 23rd, 2016, 12:49 pm

Nacho, all the light bars you mention above are "old school" .

The "new era" light bars are 5w or 7 w leds with d4 or d5 reflector technology.
You want to be looking at Osram brand light bars for this new technology.

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from ... r&_sacat=0

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12inch-168W- ... SwRgJXjDIu
the 16800lumen is theoretical and you can expect actual 13440 lumens.

Don't be scared of with the "cheap ebay junk" stories these are Osram lights and good quality at good prices. Pick an australian seller for warranty issues if needed.

Don't get sucked into the " I can run 2 12" 168w light bars plus spotties " unless you have a bloody good alternator as the light bars alone will draw 28 amps from your alternator. Add a pair of 100w spotties and that is another 16.6 amps so that is 44.6 amps plus headlights heater wipers etc if needed.
My 80 amp alternator in my 60 series struggles big time to sustain that for too long without my battery suffering.
Try one and see if that gives you what you require, they are cheap enough to play with.
Hope this has helped and not confused you .

V Williamson
Part of the furniture

Unread post by V Williamson » October 23rd, 2016, 1:24 pm

Have you invested in a pair of those $5 roo whistles that just might work? On my way east along the Barrier Highway between Broken Hill and Menindee, a big boomer came out of the scrub as I was approaching. This was at about 10am on clear day so no extra lighting needed. Dunno if it was the whistle that told him to move, but once on the road in front of me, he put the afterburner on - I have never seen a roo move so fast! The goats out that way were compliant to move off the road too. On the Eyre Highway in SA and WA, the wedge tailed eagles feeding on roadkill also put to flight early enough that I didn't have to slow down. Of course, wedgeys take some time to throttle up as well. Do the whistles really work? Dunno. But for $5 your not losing much if they didn't. I tend to think they have something going for them.

Of course there are photos of roos that have been collected by average sedan cars at night along the Eyre. Is there a reason to be on the road at night when in roo territory? Does a huge light output actually reduce the chances of a roo getting in front of you?

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Unread post by stockhorse » October 23rd, 2016, 2:24 pm

Not sure if the roo whistles work or not,I can't work out how sound travels in the opposite direction from the wind power them, but for $5 what do you have to lose?
I did think they were designed to keep roos stationary rather than make them move.
I guess the daylight hours are down to your attentiveness and eyesight to see what is ahead and adjust for it and lights are to help equalise that situation at night.
"Is there a reason to be on the road at night when in roo territory?"
If you are a traveler on holiday it is best to avoid it but if you live in the area you may have no choice (traveling to from work etc)

"Does a huge light output actually reduce the chances of a roo getting in front of you?"
Probably not, but it gives you a better chance of seeing it in time to slow down or brake to avoid impact.
Strangely the only animal strikes I have had, they have run into the side of my vehicle (towards the rear.)Maybe I slow down too much ? :rolleyes:

hoyks
Avid Poster

Unread post by hoyks » October 23rd, 2016, 4:42 pm

If you want to spot roos, then you want the lights as close to your eye level as you can. This makes the light reflect off the animals retina, same way you see cats eyes.

I had an old Sigma, that I sat quite low in, and a pair of driving lights. It was great, spotted eye shine everywhere, possums, roos, spiders, you name it.
Most 4x4's you sit a lot higher than the bumpers, so you don't get the same effect. Unfortunately lights on top of the bullbar are illegal.

mickkk
Here and there

Unread post by mickkk » October 24th, 2016, 11:58 am

I would never put lights on the roof for outback driving. Even if you set it up properly so you don't get reflections, it will light up any bugs or rain and is very distractive.
Also be very careful not to flood the foreground with light, it needs to be the same or less thAn what your spot lights are throwing. With too much light bar light, you loose the effect of the spot lights. And it's them you want to see the cows with. Smaller Roos are erratic and if they're around there's a chance they will come back and go under the wheels & probably do damage, but they won't stop you.
The thing for me is cows and buffaloes (I'm in Darwin) but cows can be found most places in the outback.
If you have the budget look into FyrLyts, I went the Nemesis and they ***** all over the set up I had. (Hella 5000 converted to HID's, a 22" light bar, and a 50" bar on the roof - I gave up with the roof bar)
If you are going to use a combination of lights, try to get them all the same colour, it's really annoying when they each put out a different colour light!

rowdyskrooza
Avid Poster

Unread post by rowdyskrooza » November 4th, 2016, 2:16 pm

_20161104_141129.JPG
I doubt if they come too much brighter than this...
42" Rigid Industries SR combo on the roof
2 x Lightforce XGT HID 55w Pro's on the bar
2 x 22" Cosmoblaze spreads in the bar facing out at 7 degrees
I will admit it's not all needed but it makes me giggle :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you think the last 4 words of the national anthem are gentlemen, start your engines, you might be a redneck.

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”