Do you need Tiptronic for a Loaded Diesel?

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
Bruosk
Here and there

Do you need Tiptronic for a Loaded Diesel?

Unread post by Bruosk » October 19th, 2016, 6:13 pm

Considering something like a mid 2000's LC100 4.2TD auto which judging by the look of things don't seem to have the tiptronic feature.
Although the 1HD-FTE is said to have some grunt, wouldn't the ability to select what ever gear you want still be needed? Maybe not in the 200series.
I know with some petrols with just moderate loads slowing into a corner on a curly road that climbs you really need the manual gate as when you roll out of the corner in Drive it's in 3rd gear & lacks so much power & by the time the gear changes down from pressing the throttle you lost a bucket of momentum which equals a slow painful climb. And this kind of delay in power is not very enjoying.

I'm not talking about a load like a caravan, as you will take your time anyway, but for a fully loaded 4wd or with a small trailer.

thanks

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Re: Do you need Tiptronic for a Loaded Diesel?

Unread post by BigDutchy » October 19th, 2016, 6:32 pm

Are you sure about that. I am looking at 2007 models and they, as far as I can see you can choose the gear you want to be in.
(edit)....you are right the little bit older models do not offer that ability at all.

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Unread post by stockhorse » October 20th, 2016, 2:48 pm

Although not tiptronic can't you still select 3rd, 2nd,1st gears like other automatics?

Bruosk
Here and there

Unread post by Bruosk » October 20th, 2016, 4:17 pm

stockhorse

I'd say no comparison to the quickness & convenience of the manual gate.

Bruosk
Here and there

Unread post by Bruosk » October 20th, 2016, 4:19 pm

BigDutchy

Sounds like Toyota did this on purpose to get more people buying their newer models.
Sadly the price difference second hand between early 2000's & 2007 is pretty big.

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Unread post by stockhorse » October 20th, 2016, 5:28 pm

"wouldn't the ability to select what ever gear you want still be needed?"

Not really as the auto can select the required gear better than you can with regard to timing and shift points.
That option is available but not in the mode you want it.

"I'd say no comparison to the quickness & convenience of the manual gate."

The tiptronic (manual gate) is not as fast as you may think in the situation you describe (uphill fully loaded) The box will be in the right gear already and forcing a down shift may simply break traction and actually slow your forward progress.

Bruosk
Here and there

Unread post by Bruosk » October 25th, 2016, 4:28 pm

Not sure what you mean by break traction, maybe on slippery offroad but I can't see it happening on the bitumen even in the wet.

Never been in something like the LC100 TD, but Petrol 4wds of the same time absolutely need manual gate as they lack down torque & their shifting is designed to be economical (flat driving in suburbs). Coming out of a corner on a hill at around 20-30km/h it will be in 3rd gear when it should ideally be in 2nd. It's not until you plant the throttle down a certain % that it automatically goes down to 2nd, this behavior translates to a sluggish slow climb versus using manual gate which rides the higher rev range & feels alot better.

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Unread post by stockhorse » October 25th, 2016, 5:45 pm

Bruosk, if you have a fully loaded 4x4 coming out of a corner on a hill at around 20-30km/h in 3rd gear the vehicle you are in is in dire need of a transmission service.

Bruosk
Here and there

Unread post by Bruosk » October 26th, 2016, 4:42 pm

stockhorse,

I don't think its because it needs a service, if this was the case it would probably have other problems which would be obvious. I was under the impression it's the way its designed to keep the revs down. The computer or whatever is changing the gears based on rolling speed.

Anyway do people usually use their manual gate in Diesel in these situations?

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”