LC100 Carry Capacity Varies from Petrol to Diesel - why?

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
Bruosk
Here and there

LC100 Carry Capacity Varies from Petrol to Diesel - why?

Unread post by Bruosk » October 17th, 2016, 4:25 pm

Why is the LC100 payload a lot more with the Petrol over the 4.2TD?

Why on a Diesel? It seems unfair in a world where you need every kg you can get.

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Re: LC100 Carry Capacity Varies from Petrol to Diesel - why?

Unread post by stockhorse » October 17th, 2016, 4:28 pm

Difference in engine weight?

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » October 17th, 2016, 8:31 pm

I'd say engine weight. It all adds to GVM.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » October 17th, 2016, 9:13 pm

As others have said ^^ the lesser payload permitted for the diesels vs the petrol engined vehicles will be due to the heavier engine weight taking up more of the load allowance; plus the loss imposed by the extra weight due to the heavier springs it has fitted to carry that heavier engine, the bigger/heavier brake discs needed to stop the heavier vehicle cos of the heavier engine, and the extra weight imposed by all the other stuff (if there actually is any) that the diesel vehicles get cos their engine is heavier..... There may well be all sorts of things spec'd differently due to the more commercial nature of the diesel engined vehicles - they probably have any or all sorts of things like those heavier springs & shocks, a more solidly constructed alternator to withstand the 'heavier' vibrations from the engine, an air/vacuum pump that the petrol engined jobbies don't need or get, possibly different spec'd axles &/or diffs to handle the greater low rev torque, maybe even a heavier spec'd gearbox.... all sorts of stronger/heavier stuff that contributes to the 'unladen' weight of the vehicle itself, & by doing so, reduces the payload required to push the 'unladen weight' plus payload up to the max allowable 'Gross Vehicle Mass'!! ;)

That's probably one of the hardest things to come to terms with about 4 WD's, anything that you or the manufacturer can do to improve the vehicles off road (&/or on road) capabilities is gonna cost somewhere or somehow - I'm told it's basic Physics.... for every action there is an equal & opposite re-action!! Fun, innit!! :p
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

jfoldbar
Avid Poster

Unread post by jfoldbar » October 18th, 2016, 4:08 am

you forgot to add "the weight of the extra balls" the diesel driver will have over the petrol

V Williamson
Part of the furniture

Unread post by V Williamson » October 18th, 2016, 7:29 am

It probably is not a good idea to load up a vehicle to it maximum weight though. Just thinking about another rating, the tow rating, sure the Mits Triton might be rated to tow 3t whereas the Hilux is rated to 2.5t (correct me if wrong), but both would be starting to struggle under those actual loads.

I think might apply to gvm. It may be a figure that has been placed for various reasons under specified test conditions (a little like fuel consumption figures), but the reality of the day to day world is a bit different.

And then think of the fuel consumption under a maximum load condition. Hmmm, my wallet is starting to change colour just thinking about it....

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » October 18th, 2016, 7:33 am

Ask Toyota why.
Lots of speculation so far.

Bruosk
Here and there

Unread post by Bruosk » October 18th, 2016, 4:16 pm

Thanks all especially Peter aawen's detailed response. good to ask & learn.

M543
Been here a while

Unread post by M543 » October 26th, 2016, 8:54 pm

V Williamson

So much depends on where you a towing that weight. Off road, in high mountains, and in soft sand would be the worst.

I have seen this email a couple of times on the net. There is a good chance that it would apply to all makes. They are all built to the same standard and price.

We acknowledge receipt and thank you for your recent enquiry regarding the Mitsubishi Triton. Please be advised that Mitsubishi Motors Australia Ltd (MMAL) only release towing specifications for vehicles being used under normal conditions such as highway driving. We would not recommend towing this amount while driving on 4WD tracks or surfaces of this nature. The 3 Tonne towing capacity is a statement of the maximum permissible towing weight possible for this vehicle.
Thank you again for your enquiry.
Kind Regards,
Simon
Mitsubishi Customer Assistance Centre
Mitsubishi Motors Australia Ltd
GPO Box 1851 Adelaide SA 5001

There is another email on the net from Landrover that says the towing capacity of the Defender comes down from 3500kg to 1500kg off road.

I suppose everyone here has seen this bent ute story https://www.4x4australia.com.au/drive/1504/bent-utes The editorial in that edition said carrying capacities should be reduced by 30 to 40 percent in off road conditions.

Robert Pepper https://practicalmotoring.com.au/author/robert-pepper/ said in one of his articles on towing that both the maximum carrying and towing capacities for cars are for good sealed road conditions only and should be reduced according to the conditions.

I have seen a lot of heavily loaded damaged cars in the bush but I have yet to see one that looked like it was locally owned. People out there don't run around all day with their cars loaded to the max or beyond like tourists do.

cmar
Avid Poster

Unread post by cmar » November 23rd, 2016, 7:17 pm

Don't forget that Landrover is a proper 4x4 manufacturer, one who has been doing it for than 60 years. Pretty much all the others are just counting on their 1 tonne truck buildls being strong enough to to take 4x4 and these tow loads. They are one tonne raised road trucks with 4x4 ability not designed from the ground up 4x4 trucks.
Before people flame me yes I drive one too.
Haven't owned a 2WD since 1982.

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”