I bought a Jeep

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
Clarkey16
Been here a while

Re: I bought a Jeep

Unread post by Clarkey16 » May 21st, 2016, 10:32 pm

If you get a set of JK wrangler rims (they have a +44 offset) you will be able to fit 265's within the guards even when flexing with no modifications to the body. +30 will require some trimming of the fenders and maybe flares. +44 also keeps you legal.
Yes I did! Built with spanners not chop sticks!

volksrod
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by volksrod » May 21st, 2016, 11:26 pm

wow this and a petty 'cruiser hows your fuel bill

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » May 22nd, 2016, 9:07 am

I never really worry to much about fuel consumption but I can tell you that it is much better than my Landcruiser or Patrol was.
It's much faster as well.
It's also much smaller - Much more than I thought. This is for us a problem and might mean that I have to sell before I can really use it. However, there are a few little things I want to do before I am selling.
I saw that 1 CV boot has a small crack in it. I better replace that asap.
I don't like what they have done with the exhaust. Its built up of little bits of pipe/left overs from what ever they did. It's done by someone that can really weld well, but I think it's messy and I don't like it. I know it's under the car but I just don't like it and it has to go. After that I'll get it serviced and then I really have to make up my mind what I can or will do with it.
The +30 rims are fitting really well. They fill up the wheel arches perfectly. I did need to trim the front bumper bar a little.
I also installed my new LCD spotties. They are great. Very bright!
The small 2" lift kit will go in next week or the week after. When that is all done I will stop modifying it. I really enjoy playing around with it. Building it up....
But I am happy to let it go when it's looking great. As I said, it's too small for our needs anyway.

Cheers

cmar
Avid Poster

Unread post by cmar » May 26th, 2016, 10:57 pm

Really that tells us nothing, anything has better fuel consumption that a petrol Cruiser or Patrol. :)
Haven't owned a 2WD since 1982.

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » May 27th, 2016, 6:43 pm

I think you are right mate.

I dropped the Jeep off to get the CV's done. I am looking at diff locks as well.
We have decided to stick with it for a bit. It is too small for us but serious trips are not on the agenda any time soon. For small trips it has to do.
My wife uses a wheel chair at times. So, I bought a push bike bag and put the wheel chair in it (bike bag = $80 Wheel chair bag $280....very similar bag....)
The wheel chair has to live on the roof. And that's OK.
I hate the mud tyres all ready. They are so noisy. I don't like it.
I might put them up for sale and get all terrain's.

I'll make some photo's when I get her back.

cmar
Avid Poster

Unread post by cmar » May 28th, 2016, 10:54 am

Oh yes I know all about that, I work in medical. Many years ago we had an analyser that used to use a tungsten halogen globe in it. The bulb was a 12 volt model in one of those porcelain holders with the two prongs. It was severely overdriven in it's application and so we usually had to end up replacing them every month or so, sometimes less.

The cost back in then mid 1980's was about $200 each. I noticed that they looked pretty much exactly like the ones that were used in downlights for about $10 each.

The company said no, theirs were from specially "matched" lots, the ones used in lights had much looser QC and would be difficult to calibrate. Since each one had to be carefully calibrated and aligned after installation anyway, I said so if we buy 20 and have to chuck a couple out because they won't calibrate up to specs, so what?
Guess what I bought half a dozen, and all of them worked perfectly.

Medical = add 200-1000% to the cost of a standard production item!

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » June 17th, 2016, 7:54 pm

In it's current dress.
The muddies will go. I don't like them, to noisy.

I have installed a 2" lift, rear diff lock, and replaced the CV's all oils, waters, coolants etc. I also gave it new plugs, filters etc.
I got the bull bar for a few dollars. The LED's are awesome eBay specials.
I am now building a rear wheel carrier and I am looking at a snorkel.

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cmar
Avid Poster

Unread post by cmar » June 18th, 2016, 8:41 am

It's starting to look good. You are in the Jeep grip now, there is no known cure, treatment consists of regular E-bay sessions from US Jeep stores.
I used to wonder why Jeep pushed them out the door only half finished. I used to think it wa just sloppy QC.
Now I know that it is deliberate so you can do the rest yourself to your own specifications. :)

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » June 18th, 2016, 12:46 pm

I am selling the muddies. I want to go to AT's.
I also want to have a look at the back rest of the front seats. I find them uncomfortable. Feels like there is to much padding or something.

All the stupid alarms drive me insane. If they all would go over 1 fuse than that fuse is the one that would go missing....

I am really impressed with the stereo in this thing. It's sound is really good. Fuel consumption is much better than I thought.

cmar
Avid Poster

Unread post by cmar » June 18th, 2016, 1:52 pm

Feels like there is to much padding or something.
Lots of padding for well padded American behinds. There are lots of alarms because Americans expect to be warned about everything!
Has the opposite effect on me, if something is always beeping or dinging, I just grow to ignore the lot. Then one day it probably will really overheat or run out of oil, and I won't notice. :lol:

Alarms should only exist to tell you of the imminent demise of something important or expensive. I don't need an alarm to tell me the door is open, I can see that...

Just get a nice set of A/T's; muddies were probably overkill for this type of car anyway.

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » June 23rd, 2016, 7:46 pm

I have sold the muddies and bought some.....muddies....but I went a size up.
I fitted 285 70 17's. and they fit!! Little bit of cutting but not as bad as I was told.
Will take it of road this weekend and see how I go.
I am now looking at a snorkel. A snorkel for my model is $450 on Ebay but a snorkel for the model before mine is $125. I have seen photo's of the model I have with that snorkel without much issues. I will be looking at that a bit more.
Photo's will follow

cmar
Avid Poster

Unread post by cmar » June 23rd, 2016, 10:58 pm

285 70 17" will look kind of mean, lucky you got the V8 to pull all that rubber. +A snorkel! Not bad for something you were going to get rid of quickly. It's fast starting to look like a tough little Tonka truck.

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » June 24th, 2016, 6:58 am

It's a Jeep thing I still don't understand but start to like a lot.....

cmar
Avid Poster

Unread post by cmar » June 24th, 2016, 9:04 am

Oh yes I understand it, I was in the Qld Jeepers club for years before children, etc, considering re-joining now they're older. I''ve seen it first hand. Keep us up to date on the build.
They're not bad little beasties at all once you fix the little things that Chrysler was too lazy / slack to do.

V Williamson
Part of the furniture

Unread post by V Williamson » June 24th, 2016, 5:49 pm

I think my young bloke nearly cried when his Jeep went on a one way trip on the back of a truck. He didn't have enough coin to justify keeping on working on it and to maintain a wife and mortgage at the same time. But one day he'll get back to 4WD'ing. Fun while it lasted, and a good learning tool as well.

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”