Future of Petrol & Diesel?

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
Bruosk
Here and there

Future of Petrol & Diesel?

Unread post by Bruosk » March 29th, 2016, 5:18 pm

Wondering if we will be still driving Pet & Diesel in 15years?

As a laymen the estimates I read say 20-40years left of oil, governments will no doubt ban civilian vehicles as industry vehicles are more important. The costs will soar long before.

Apart form LPG, I don't see any alternative that can hull around the massive loads. Wouldn't electric hybrid 4wd's be like a battery ran lawn mower? Just a gimmick for the suburbs. I have no desire to get a newer 4wd from the late 90's- early 2000's, as the new stuff is just plastic overcomplicated rubbish. For me the future is getting an older 4wd that's made of metal.

Just interested in genuine opinions, as this seems like a real threat to 4wd's.
Sorry if this isn't right section to post.

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Re: Future of Petrol & Diesel?

Unread post by stockhorse » March 29th, 2016, 6:00 pm

Venezuela....... OPEC analysts estimates that it has 234 years of remaining production at current rates.

Qld has just announced plans for a bio fuel plant at Mackay
Don't think you have to worry about fuel in your lifetime.

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » March 29th, 2016, 6:41 pm

And, if you have an older model diesel, maybe you could convert it to run on fish and chip oil like some older mercedes!!

NZ LUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by NZ LUX » March 29th, 2016, 8:16 pm

Haha nice one typhoeus! :lol:

V Williamson
Part of the furniture

Unread post by V Williamson » March 29th, 2016, 8:47 pm

I started high school in 1971 and I can remember clearly how our science teacher was telling us that oil would run out by 2000. And of course so much is dependent on oil starting at our food production. Effectively no oil, no civilization. It was going to be the big "end of world crisis" in the days before global warming.

Of course go back in history, and there have been oil substitutes used. Didn't vehicles in the UK have a car size bag on the roof as a "gas producer" for fuel during WW2? Then what about oil from coal? I understand South Africa used this during the apartheid / political-isolation-until-you-change-your-ways era.

And then is oil truly a "fossil fuel"? I have heard that certain organic compounds heated and pressured in the right way yield oil.

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » March 29th, 2016, 10:02 pm

jacnden
Been here a while

Unread post by jacnden » March 30th, 2016, 1:11 pm

brazil and other sth American countries have been using plant based ethanol for some time now

Heisenberg
Been here a while

Unread post by Heisenberg » April 2nd, 2016, 11:01 am

In general terms I reckon that petrol vehicles will eventually become niche vehicles, in just the same way that 2-stroke motorcycles essentially have disappeared and the only 2s motors are lawnmowers and brushcutters.

Diesel technology is coming ahead in leaps and bounds, and it seems to me that it's only a matter of time before they dominate the domestic vehicular market

itchyvet
Here and there

Unread post by itchyvet » February 13th, 2017, 8:16 pm

I first heard the claim oil is running out, thus we need to increase the price of fuel in 1980. Since then, the World demand for Dino fuel has increased 100 fold, and strangely enough, there always seems to be enough around for all our needs.
I suspect if the wars in the M.E. ceased and the pressures imposed on fossil producing nations in the Americas was reduced, there'd be plenty oil around for many years to come.
As a direct result of the above, these days,( 2017) we hear from our own 4WD enthusiasts, that allegedly the humble diesel engine has seen it's last days and will be consigned to the dust bin, ALLEGEDLY. The claims made are these engines will no longer comply with the strict European standards imposed. First off, I fail to understand why anyone not living in the European Union needs to comply with their imposed standards anywhere in the World. Secondly, interestingly enough, these same folks who bring us these clouds of doom fail to offer us an alternative replacement. I own a Dino fueled Patrol, am 67 years of age, confident that my Patrol will see me out, and that it's diesel engine will still be running long after I'm gone.
B.T.W. Dr. Diesel did not invent his engine to be run on Dino fuel; originally, it was intended to be run on RENEWABLE oils, specificaly peanut oil; it was the fossil fuel crowd who convinced the manufacturers to run them on Dino diesel instead.

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » February 13th, 2017, 8:32 pm

GM corn oil or similar will probably be the "renewable Oil" of the future, when they have banned GM for food production.

cmar
Avid Poster

Unread post by cmar » February 18th, 2017, 8:36 pm

I'm old enough to remember the oil crisis of the 1970's. We would run out of oil by the end of the century. Pure BS, basically designed to acustom us to ever increasing prices. Here we are 40 years later and nowhere near run out. Indians and Chinese have cars now, and overall oil consumption has soared, but still not run out. Also remember those predictions back in the 1970's largely did not even allow for this, because back then it could not be estimated.
Of course OPEC nations shot themselves in the foot by artifically inflating the price, too much back during the oil crisis, and the early 2000's it made alternatives both viable and in some cases put them into production. Those plants may be mothballed now with the current comparatively cheap oil, but if they increase the price too much, the plants will simply come back on-line. Stalemate.
We are being continually misled and fed BS at every turn, ie you can't use biodiesel in a modern CRD engine, keeping you on the fossil oil teat, in fact Peugeot did a study of a fleet of trucks running on biodiesel, including CRD models, for a number of years - no problems over 100,000's of thousand of kilometres; I'm not making this up, google will find the report. It's a fact that most Euro diesel contains 5% biodiesel already, to replace the lubricity lost when sulphur was removed.
Haven't owned a 2WD since 1982.

Roadwarrior
Avid Poster

Unread post by Roadwarrior » February 27th, 2017, 10:04 pm

It wasnt BS it was actually true. However with the advance in technology we can now find oil reserves easier and discovered a lot more.

cmar
Avid Poster

Unread post by cmar » March 4th, 2017, 11:14 am

Fair enough, prepared to accept that, obviously we didn't have the deep water drilling capability we have today, back in the 1970's. But did they know that they were there, just unable to exploit them until now?

Found this interesting paper. https://www.aspo-australia.org.au/Refer ... eklett.pdf
Haven't owned a 2WD since 1982.

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”