Family Dual Cab for Baby Seats

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
simonhmorgan
I'm new, be nice!

Family Dual Cab for Baby Seats

Unread post by simonhmorgan » June 22nd, 2015, 12:20 pm

Hi Everyone,
Ive searched and searched for a definitive (well as definitive as forum opinions can be!) answer to my questions around space in a dual cab.

i am looking to buy something for around $20-$25K.
been looking at Triton, Navara, Dma(a little over budget) etc.

basically it will rarely if ever go off-road, but we want the height of a 4wd (coming from a Ford Territory).
Our main priority is something that two upright car seats will fit in comfortably with enough legroom for the kids in the carseats not to be wedged in, and enough for the two of us up front as well.

If anyone has photos of the rear in particular with car seats that would be fantastic and highly appreciated, but I'm interested to hear everyones opinions on the roomiest interior.

Obviously with our budget, they have generally been 2009-2010 ish models.

Ive read in older reviews that the Triton is probably the roomiest rear seat, but also read other reviews that its not.

I will of course check some out in person, but theres nothing like personal experience to give some guide as to what i should look for.

THanks in advance!
:)

micbarka80series
Here and there

Re: Family Dual Cab for Baby Seats

Unread post by micbarka80series » June 22nd, 2015, 2:19 pm

Hi Simon,

We have an 1993 80 and a 2012 (I think) Hilux SR5 dual cab (which is much the same as the earlier model Lux). The Lux is a work vehicle, and prior to getting it we had a 2009 or 2010 Triton as a work vehicle.

We also have 2 kids - born 2009 and 2012 (3 and 6 this year) - both still using car seats, but the 6 year old is about to graduate out of the car seats to a booster. I don't think we had the Triton when we had 2 kids (one was brewing), but think we had it when number 1 child was in the rear-facing infant seat.

Bottom line - both the Triton and the Lux fit both the rear facing infant seat and regular child seat with no issues. Same same space-wise. And with the Lux with me driving (6 foot+) with the seat right back, my 6 year old has no trouble with leg space though there is obviously less. There is still also room between the car seats for an adult, but a smaller one. Ie, if we have 3 adults and the two kids in the car, my wife usually sits between the kids which also helps keep them happy. I drive, and as said before the 6 year old rarely if ever complains about leg space.

I suspect that most dual cabs are the same. The thing to check would be the number of anchor points - the Lux has 2 as did the Triton (I think) - and the ease at getting to them. And don't leave anything vital (like tyre changing equipment) underneath the rear seat (where the Lux's is stored) because you don't want to have to deal with the car seats when you want to get at it.

The 80? Lots of room, two anchor points, and noticeably more space in the rear seats for child seats than the Triton or Lux. Also more comfortable off road because is fully sprung. You could buy a very good truck for $20 G+ too.

But... if you're planning three kids, reconsider the dual cab option because they only have 2 anchor points. A 3rd kid gets very expensive if it means buying a new car.

Hope that helps.
mic b

simonhmorgan
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by simonhmorgan » June 22nd, 2015, 2:35 pm

Thats very helpful, Thanks!
Our concern with the dual cab option, is coming from a Holden Crewman, which admittedly has far less rear space than the larger dual cabs, there is NO room in the back for two kids, and we were concerned the same thing would be present in most dual cabs!

As for no 3 - No way thats happening, so we SHOULD be ok! ;)

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » June 22nd, 2015, 2:58 pm

simonhmorgan wrote:?..... As for no 3 - No way thats happening, so we SHOULD be ok! ;)
Be careful what you say about things like that, those cute little things we call offspring are pretty cunning little buggas & can sometimes just sneak up on you, despite the best of intentions AND the best of modern medical technology & knowledge..... :o

Not that we didn't welcome them when they did arrive, nor that we'd ever give them back - they were just surprises, to us AND to the medical experts who were positive that with all the precautions we took, it couldn't possibly happen just once, let alone any more often than that! :purplex: But it did - proved them wrong, didn't we!! :p

Sometimes it's best to be just a little flexible in your planning for the future - surprises do have a way of happening, otherwise there wouldn't be a word like 'surprise' ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

micbarka80series
Here and there

Unread post by micbarka80series » June 22nd, 2015, 3:40 pm

I'll second that... constant fear. :huh: So far though have got away with it... touch wood (pardon the pun). :D
mic b

BennyT50
Avid Poster

Unread post by BennyT50 » June 22nd, 2015, 4:02 pm

Just be careful that there is enough room in the front for the driver or passenger. Daughter has a BT50 Dual cab, and with the rear facing infant baby carrier, she is unable to get the seat back too far. With a 2nd child it would have to go behind the driver and dad is quite tall, so they went and purchased a Subaru Forrester wagon.

It is all wheel drive and I couldn't believe the amount of room in the back seat area. She can stretch right out in the front passenger seat and dad had no worries either. Just a thought.

BennyT50
BennyT50 - BT-50 SDX Dual Cab
Canopy, Bullbar, Tub Liner, ERPS, Snorkel, UHF, Dual battery, Side steps, Towbar, In-car camera.

micbarka80series
Here and there

Unread post by micbarka80series » June 22nd, 2015, 5:10 pm

You're not going to believe this but we also have a Subaru Forester, which is my daily driver - the Lux discussed above is my wife's work car, and the 80 is the purpose-built camper/tough truck (used to be the daily driver/tough truck/camper before the Subi).

My Subaru Forester is 2004 year model, has almost 200 000km on the clock, has been in the family for about 3 months (bought for ~$6K off Dreamers Hill in Karratha), and drives like new and corners hard. It does have a few rattles and hums (does this forum cover the Forester - will check!?), but the AWD and electrical systems work perfectly.

I have two car seats in it, and can confirm the leg space. Not an issue at all. It doesn't have the seating height of a true 4wd though.
mic b

Tornado ALIVE
Here and there

Unread post by Tornado ALIVE » June 23rd, 2015, 10:54 pm

I have a VW Amarok with one forward and one rear child seat. Plenty of room and an adult can sit between them. They also have IsoFix points. You can find 2011 to 2012 Roks for 20 to 25k.

simonhmorgan
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by simonhmorgan » June 24th, 2015, 10:35 am

Thanks everyone.
we already have a Ford Territory & Holden Crewman (which needs to go as it has no room for two seats in the rear!) but need to keep a ute, so the Forester option, though we have considered them, is out for us despite the massive room I know they have.

Love the Amaroks, and i suspected they were a good size, but unfortunately, in Hobart there are none in our price range as yet.
Perhaps a Melbourne trip will be in order to get what we want.

having space between the seats isnt really an issue for us, the issue is more having enough leg room for the two kids, plus two adults in the seats in front.

Wombat1965
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Wombat1965 » June 25th, 2015, 8:19 pm

Got a 2011 Triton here.
We often put two kids seats in for the grandkids. When I first tried it, I'd tilt the seat forward a bit and squeeze my arm in to do up the strap on the mounting hook, swearing at this stupid design.
I then thought to myself "It's Mitsubishi...they couldn't have deliberately made it that hard...", and asked someone with a Triton at work who had kids.
"Pull down the center arm rest, undo the zipper either side at the back, and reach in and there's the hook". Very easy to do it up and undo it.

Or, you know, I could have looked up the owners handbook...but what sort of a man would I be if I did that...? :D

simonhmorgan
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by simonhmorgan » June 26th, 2015, 8:41 am

Hmmm my Crewman has the same issue with being impossible to get the strap tight on the hook in the rear seat!
I wonder if that has a similar method! Ive never thought to check, I just swear a lot anytime the seat has to be taken out or in! :)

Wombat1965
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Wombat1965 » June 26th, 2015, 10:34 am

^^

Could do.
But whatever you do, do not consult the owners handbook...because as we all know, real men don't need instructions!!! :lol:

simonhmorgan
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by simonhmorgan » June 26th, 2015, 11:39 am

LOL true that!
Im not even sure where the handbook is. :)

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Unread post by chris_stoffa » June 26th, 2015, 12:40 pm

Vehicles have handbooks ??? :eek:
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

davenmarcia
Here and there

Unread post by davenmarcia » June 27th, 2015, 10:51 am

HI we have a 2011 hilux with 2 boys 5 and 7 heaps of room for them plus the mrs at 6ft sat in between them for some of the recent qld trip and was reasonably comfortable unfortunately no pics.

Dave

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”