IS THIS A 4 INCH LIFT????

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
troopy mad
I'm new, be nice!

IS THIS A 4 INCH LIFT????

Unread post by troopy mad » June 11th, 2015, 9:37 am

Hi to those with a good eye

Before I give any details, I would like to know does this look like a 4" lift???
I've put it all back to stock except the lift

Opinions and comments first please than ill explain why I asked
And I do know suspension lift isn't a true lift
WP_20150603_001.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Re: IS THIS A 4 INCH LIFT????

Unread post by BigDutchy » June 11th, 2015, 3:29 pm

It does not look far away from a 4"lift. 4" is only 10 CM. It doesn't look much till you fit bigger tyres.

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Unread post by stockhorse » June 11th, 2015, 4:13 pm

From relationship to top of rear chassis to top of tyre it looks look a 2" lift comparing it to my 2" lift on my 60 series.Looks like it has a 2" body lift maybe but I am not that familiar with troopies.

mud chisel
Here and there

Unread post by mud chisel » June 11th, 2015, 4:24 pm

I would guess 2, maybe longer shackles. as mentioned never look as big without rubber. in what sense is a suspension lift not a true lift?

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » June 11th, 2015, 4:46 pm

It's hard to tell about a body lift from that one pic, got any others?? Maybe something that shows a body mount?? There again, the bull bar doesn't appear to be out of alignment with the chassis rails, so if it has a body lift then the bull bar mounts must have been modded to suit as well!! ;)

That Troopy is definitely lifted some; it's running longer aftermarket anti-inversion & greasable shackles at each end, & the leaf packs may well be aftermarket/re-packed as well. So if you assume there's at least a 50mm lift from the leaves (altho they may have sagged a little since going in, especially if the vehicle runs loaded very often) and at least 50mm longer shackles (which really only give about 25mm of lift, cos they only lift one end of each leaf pack...) then it's easy enough to see how someone might erroneously believe they have a 100mm lift when they've really only got 75mm, and that was probably only true for a few minutes after the modded leaves & shackles were fitted....

Then if the tyres fitted aren't quite as big as the tyres that were originally on it, the wheel/tyre combo in the wheel arch can look shockingly small, giving the impression of a bigger lift than has actually been achieved - or if they are bigger than original tyres, the bigger wheels can easily do the opposite!! That's often why vehicles running 35's don't actually seem to be lifted quite so much as vehicles running the exact same lift that stayed with smaller tyres.... until they are parked very close to each other!! And of course there's always the issue with how badly the std leaves were sagged before the lift went in - most would be amazed at how much the stock springs will sag almost as soon as you drive the vehicle off the dealer's forecourt!! So any subsequent lift can appear to be somewhat bigger than what it would actually be over an undriven stock vehicle! Anyone who buys/fits a lift and seems to achieve more than the lift the new suspension components were advertised/quoted as achieving has probably fallen for that little glitch!!

Sooo, unless you actually KNOW what the vehicle measured when brand new & totally stock as well as what it measures now, you won't really know how much lift has been put in there!! You can make an educated guess, but if the vehicle has been driven after the lift has gone it, it could still have been a 4"/100mm lift... back when the lifted suspension was brand new!! Even just a drive around the block can make any suspension settle a bit, & if that drive around the block was with a heavy load aboard, it can make them settle a LOT!! :eek:

The more important questions are: is that vehicle legal & roadworthy in your state lifted that much? (BTW, unless it's been specifically engineered, tested, & approved, there are NO States in Aust that legally permit a 100mm suspension lift!! :( ) And does it lift the vehicle enough to give you the clearance you need to do whatever it is that you want to do??

Of course, you need to bear in mind that the ONLY things that will lift the diffs any higher off the ground on that sort of vehicle is fitting taller/larger dia tyres; or portal axles!! So even if you've got 4" lifted suspension, unless you've fitted larger dia tyres or portal axles then your diffs are still going to have exactly the same clearance as they did before the suspension lift went in - altho you should have better approach/departure/& ramp over angles! :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Red04VXE
Avid Poster

Unread post by Red04VXE » June 11th, 2015, 9:15 pm

I'd say 3", 2Spring, 1Shackle.
New Toy, 1982 HJ60 2H 4spd 33's soon to have F&R LockRights and LongFields.

troopy mad
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by troopy mad » June 13th, 2015, 4:56 am

Cheers on ya thoughts guys and your info peter

Now the details:

I purchased this troopy completely stock, no mods what so ever
After goin fourbing a fair bit I got tired of my big ass hittin every dip, so I went out and purchased 37 maxxis creppy crawlers with a -23 offset

They fitted with chopping the guards a lil bit closest to the doors and bashing in my exhaust under driver guard.

That was all good till the articulation came into play, the tires hit the top of the inner guard

Next step was a lift, after searching around I finally found a place that did a 4" suspension lift hoping this would give me the clearance I needed, so in it went as well as 4.8 ratio diff gears, front and rear diff locks, winch.

When I put the lift in the new leafs were practically the same arch as my stock leafs, and the shackles were 2" extended than the stock shackles.
It did give me a little more clearance but not as much as I thought, I then burnt out my computer and mobile searching threads after threads, pics after pics trying to compare my lift to other lifts and I swear it looks like a 2", I even parked next to lifted 4x4's at the supermarket car park just to compare.

Honestly I think I got jibbed on the lift. That's why I needed peoples opinions before I go back to the place I got it from

There's no body lift as I'm was hoping 4" should be more than enough clearance

troopy mad
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by troopy mad » June 13th, 2015, 5:09 am

WP_20150322_002.jpg
Its not the best pic but its the only one I has with the tires on
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

troopy mad
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by troopy mad » June 13th, 2015, 5:22 am

WP_20150322_001.jpg
Found another pic with the tires and lift

Does this change opinions on lift??
Or maybe I still got jibbed

Darknight
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Darknight » June 13th, 2015, 9:32 am

What did the lift actually entail longer shackles springs? Shocks? my rudimentary understanding is anything over 50mm (2inch) requires an engineering cert.

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Unread post by stockhorse » June 13th, 2015, 11:13 am

Only real way to tell is get standard height spec and then measure yours and see the difference.

Goldylux
Avid Poster

Unread post by Goldylux » June 13th, 2015, 3:01 pm

That is a pretty big lift. If you lifted it that high without any problems i
would be thinking it's a job well done,especially if the tires fit well.
The truck definatly looks a few inches higher than stock.

If i measured it and it wasnt exactly 4 inches i wouldnt be giving the company
a bollocking and thinking i got gypped. Maybe an email to inform them.

Did you take into account all the steel work on the truck when you ordered the leafs?

Truck looks good by the way.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » June 13th, 2015, 3:53 pm

^^ They are all good points, but do remember that you are going to have different gear & loading in your vehicle to anyone else, & that will have some difference on what height is actually achieved out of any lift - and when it comes down to the nitty gritty, ANY advertised lift height is always a 'nominal' height, simply because there are so many variables that can have a pretty big impact on the height increase that is ultimately achieved!!

That said, if the tyres shown in the later pics up there realy ARE 37's, then it's very likely that the lift actually achieved for your vehicle WAS pretty damned close to 100mm over whatever you started out with!!

As Darknight asked earlier, can you tell us was actually done/provided to achieve the lift?? Or at least what was meant to be done/provided?? ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”