4wd Action DVD - High Country

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
GQ Penchy
Getting to know the place

4wd Action DVD - High Country

Unread post by GQ Penchy » March 7th, 2014, 8:10 pm

I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but I just finished watching the DVD that cam with issue 212 and I have to say, it is the most irresponsible piece of 4wding I have seen recorded by self proclaimed "professionals" I have ever seen. Roothy on a number of occasions pointed out that they do not recommend people take campers on these tracks, they just want to show you where they can go. No ***** Sherlock! Trailers will go wherever the 4wd takes them, but will those 4wds damage the tracks or environment by doing this, is what Roothy really should be asking himself. Put the heaviest trailer behind one of the lighter trucks, with an inexperienced driver - in the wet! How else did they expect it was going to go, other than loads of wheelspin tearing the tracks up. It might make good footage with mud flying everywhere and trucks sliding about and vehicles breaking, but at what cost? I really don't believe Roothy is the best person to be involved with keeping tracks open if this is how he treats them on a regular basis.
I won't be renewing my subscription, I will not endorse 4wd Action or support it's partners financially. If anything I will rubbish the name where possible.

Carry on

MangyWombat
Here and there

Re: 4wd Action DVD - High Country

Unread post by MangyWombat » March 7th, 2014, 8:32 pm

I agree with you GQ Penchy.

The DVD was totally hypocritical. John Rooth has retired from the magazine to concentrate on the Unlock Australia cause (we all wish him the best in doing so) and yet one of his last DVD's was this epic of double standards. Just because you could, and in this case couldn't, doesn't mean you should. It was totally irresponsible behaviour and also it wasn't very entertaining.

The MDC campers representatives are doing the 4WD cause a disservice by their driving habits, with one of them in particular who has caused severe damage to their vehicle through over aggressive driving and by towing campers where perhaps you shouldn't.
1999 Land Rover Discovery TD5

Lux04
Here and there

Unread post by Lux04 » March 7th, 2014, 8:53 pm

I agree totally, & I hope he (John Rooth) remembered to pick up his bottle top, & bin it???

gqjay
Part of the furniture

Unread post by gqjay » March 8th, 2014, 7:36 pm

Most Boring DvD released,

stevezammit
Been here a while

Unread post by stevezammit » March 8th, 2014, 10:14 pm

gqjay wrote:Most Boring DvD released,
Hahahaha you are the hardest audience Jay.

Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » March 8th, 2014, 10:28 pm

Now I havnt watched this DVD yet, but these comments are echoing the comments about the previous DVD.
'98-'06 - FJ-45 Ute fell over one day and didnt survive
'06-now - HJ-47 Troopy, restored and now daily driver.
'13-now - HJ-47 Ute, Farm fresh rust bucket, needs a restoration. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=152811

now - Off Road Box/Camper Trailer. viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153968&p=1792444#p1792444

Dont listen to me, Ive got an opinion on everything!

stevezammit
Been here a while

Unread post by stevezammit » March 8th, 2014, 11:42 pm

I want to say something in defence of Roothy and the Action crew. On every trip I've been on I've had the choice to say "no I'm not driving that" and I'm not expected to give a reason and nobody argued the time I said it. We just went and drove something else via a different route. Everyone on the DVD trips has the choice to say no and on my last 2 trips we left the trailer at camp and drove tracks without it. Basically if its hardcore terrain we only do one chapter with the trailer and on easier tracks or lifestyle trips we tow it for two chapters and do one of hard driving. This format is my preference and GIC is more than happy with it. We also only tow one trailer and that gives us plenty of shelter for the crew, somewhere dry to work on camera gear and all that stuff too.
Without sponsors there's nobody to pay for the DVD trips and when the driving is tame you see people lose their sheet because its not hardcore enough. If you read the MDC Facebook page there is one guy criticising taking the van up the high country and then another applauding it saying he was now considering buying one. It's a pretty tough gig trying to keep all 4wd'ers happy that's for sure. But at the end of the day just like a weekend trip with the mates everyone is responsible for themselves and should make responsible decisions. IMO DVDs like this one are more likely to deter people from taking trailers on that kind of terrain because they don't want to bust their trucks and spend 3 days of their holiday sourcing and replacing broken parts.
I suppose I should get a copy of the DVD and see what all the fuss is about.

gqjay
Part of the furniture

Unread post by gqjay » March 9th, 2014, 8:47 am

stevezammit wrote:
gqjay wrote:Most Boring DvD released,
Hahahaha you are the hardest audience Jay.
I am on this one, It was just winching the same hilux for 40min, did nothing for the High Country.
Do love the cruiser with the Auto conversion...

Jeez I hope the next tassie dvd is like the original ones to send off Roothy...

stevezammit
Been here a while

Unread post by stevezammit » March 9th, 2014, 9:40 am

If you ever get the chance to see Rods truck up close do it, the man has built what would be my "I won lotto" truck and everything the guy does is engineering perfection. Took him a half hour to show me what he had changed or added and it was a long list.
I'll pop down the shop and get 4WDA so I can watch the DVD, keen to see what all the fuss is about.

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » March 9th, 2014, 10:10 am

Having done a bit of crawling around the steeper bits of the Vic high country, the V8 auto looks pretty sweet. Especially on those long uphill sections when you really want to be able to do a bit of stop and start that puts a clutch and drive train under extraordinary load. Hiluxes of old were a bit fragile on heavy footed hill starts like that.

The whole caravan thing reminded us of Top Gear more than anything else. Reminds me of an old guy I know who takes his large motor home into areas you'd be wary of taking a trailer into. :)

94 TURBO HILUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by 94 TURBO HILUX » March 9th, 2014, 5:00 pm

I love the dvds
Last edited by 94 TURBO HILUX on March 13th, 2014, 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LittleGem
Been here a while

Unread post by LittleGem » March 9th, 2014, 5:23 pm

I think the biggest thing is the hilux, it may be possible to tow with the hilux but as you said Glen's 80 does it so much easier and make it look a lot better, but having said that as roothie said on the Watagans DVD "that's one hilux I won't be buying" I generally think that they will change their image for the better if the loose the hilux and buy a full size wagon, and while I have nothing against Steve I think the damage has been done and should change the driver, just my 2 cents
My rocky build thread with Stainless steel snorkle, 31" tyres, bigger turbo and more...

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=155538&start=15
All done By Automotive Etcellence.

You can go Fast, I can go anywhere

monaro327
Here and there

Unread post by monaro327 » March 10th, 2014, 8:10 am

Couldn't agree with these comments more.

Thruan
Been here a while

Unread post by Thruan » March 10th, 2014, 8:33 am

This dvd was the equivenent of

"Now, you shouldnt be pulling gates down, but we have to show you that it can be done. But, dont ever do it because its bad for 4wd'ers reputation. But we can do it, because we got paid to."

Pathetic.

The DVD is no longer "4wd action" its "4wd camper trailer ad" They cant go 2 minutes without blabbing about the trailers.

At least leave the ad's in the ad's and leave the 4wding segments for 4wding!

AGU
Been here a while

Unread post by AGU » March 10th, 2014, 8:33 am

From what I have seen in previous DVDs of Steves driving ability and what people are saying here, is that he may need to do a 4X4 driver training course. He needs to take it easier.

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”