Prepping my Ford Ranger for decent fuel consumption.

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
Muffo
Here and there

Prepping my Ford Ranger for decent fuel consumption.

Unread post by Muffo » October 31st, 2013, 2:00 pm

Hi im new around here and every time I do a search I end up reading this forum. Im fairly new to anything 4wd except driving from point a to b. I use to drive a 2001 triton v6 on gas and returned great fuel economy. I then started my own business and required a diesel. I purchased a 2005 triton with very few kms on it but found it was terrible on fuel. around 15l per 100 if i was lucky. I then sold that and I have just purchased a 2010 ranger. before purchasing I drove my neighbours ranger and returned 8.6l per 100 on a 300km test drive. all highway speeds except for small towns. he said this is what he gets and he averages around 9.4 running around town and back and fourth to his small farm. His is a 08 model space cab. I then purchased a 2010 model with 130k kms on. I am now averaging 12.3 with mainly 100km/h driving. it has an alloy trade body on it that I am going to remove and put a tray on. It also has 31x10.5 at tyres which wont help. I am starting a contract job in december or jan that will require me to travel 200km 6 days a week and 900km on the 7th day. as a result im chasing better fuel consumption and Im a little worried. im not sure the service body and tyres would cost me 4l per 100km in fuel. for a start im thinking of changing the service body to a tray and changing the tyres to 225 75 r16s which are slightly smaller than original. do you think this will get me down to decent fuel levels or should i be looking elsewhere

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”