The Ultimate Workbench

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
80Butts
Avid Poster

Re: The Ultimate Workbench

Unread post by 80Butts » September 20th, 2013, 10:25 am

Dan, your bench top is form ply remember?
Not exactly marine ply. It has the black waterproof coating. Much more gooderer. Resists fuel and all sorts of spills.
Mine is steel with a form ply top and has seen all sorts of abuse over the last 6 years or so. Holding up very very well.
On vices..personally I'd only have a small one on the bench. A big vice i reckon needs its own pedestal and space. That way the bench doesn't get in the way as much of what your trying to work on

Aussie_Dan
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Aussie_Dan » September 20th, 2013, 8:33 pm

Sorry, you are right Butts. Form ply it is..... Got it from that salvage place you recommended to me.
Cheers, Dan.

4xFourex
Been here a while

Unread post by 4xFourex » December 19th, 2013, 2:29 pm

Just an update.
Spent the last few weeks playing around on CAD.
Came up with this design. Cut the steel up this week, so going to tack it together over christmas.

So many weekends, so many tracks...so little fuel!

The Black Mistress - 1974 Bitsa Landruiser fj45 ute: Holden 253 V8, Toyota 60s axles front and back, Mazda seats, Mistubishi seat belts, Ford thermo fans (almost installed). more to come...

Goldylux
Avid Poster

Unread post by Goldylux » December 19th, 2013, 2:46 pm

If you put enough bracing under it (asuuming you might hammer something that's
on the bench) i would go with either marine (dont thinks its needed) or just normal/exterior ply.
Exterior ply is the same as marine,the only difference is the glue and gluing process
they make it with,on a bench it won't make a difference.somethinglike 12 or 16mm should do it.
The normal ply is cheaper than marine and with a coat of resin or clear acryilic over it
would do her good.

The reason i say this is my bench in the garage was mdf,anything spilled on it and she'll
fluff up and colapse.I used the bench because we had it,if i was making one i would go ply.

Another thing to think of is a basic tools board,dont know if you can drill the walls but you
could get around it or make a tools trolley with a board on it.Basically you chuck some
nails in the board (where appropriate depending on tools) put your tools on and draw
around them with a marker. You can also write on there what it is or what size
ie,spanners,sockets etc.

Might sound basic but this had made my life so mush easier.

4xFourex
Been here a while

Unread post by 4xFourex » December 19th, 2013, 3:26 pm

Cheers Goldy!
Planning on just tek screwing 12mm ply to the top of the bench. I think 16mm is a bit of overkill, and won't be going near mdf!
I made that mistake with a skateboard ramp when I was about 13 and have looked at it with contempt ever since!

And then just give her a lick of paint. Not sure what colour to go, so if you've got any ideas as to what colour makes the last screw of the job (that you know is on the bench, but cannot find ANYWHERE) stand out, I'm all ears. Even pink!!

Basically I'm building two work benches, so I can rearrange them when we move house.
There will be just a square bench, no backing, that will be half ply, and then the other half will have a steel plate on it for welding etc.
The second bench will be the picture above. Running up between the top and second shelf will be that pinboard mdf stuff you can get. Extra bits you're using (or beer cans) dumped on the small shelf halfway up, and then a big fluro light under the top shelf.
This will be more the tinkering bench, while the welding bench is made of slightly heavier materials and is for bigger tasks

The Black Mistress - 1974 Bitsa Landruiser fj45 ute: Holden 253 V8, Toyota 60s axles front and back, Mazda seats, Mistubishi seat belts, Ford thermo fans (almost installed). more to come...

Goldylux
Avid Poster

Unread post by Goldylux » December 19th, 2013, 5:08 pm

Sounds like you've got some good ideas,as for paint i would go a flat
white or white with a stain clear to seal it.

Make sure you leave yourelf a bit of room too,if your anything like me
i'm a tool hoarder,didn't anticipate when i got my little bench i would want
a vice,bench grinder,drill press and mini lathe on it.haha

4xFourex
Been here a while

Unread post by 4xFourex » December 20th, 2013, 11:46 am

Hahaha yeah, 3m long should be enough for the toys. Drill press will go somewhere else when I get it. But yeah, I reckon white's the go. easiest to see. and it will turn black no matter what colour eventually

Goldylux
Avid Poster

Unread post by Goldylux » December 20th, 2013, 12:19 pm

Another small thing but i would weld some hooks on it too,always handy
for belts or anything really.

rowdyskrooza
Avid Poster

Unread post by rowdyskrooza » December 20th, 2013, 5:03 pm

Hey 4xfourex,
I notice youre in brisbane mate, if you want a few elevator doors (stainless) they are heavy as anything and are the ultimate work bench surface, just let me know. I have about 8 sitting at a job in the valley. Probably 550x60x2150.
If you think the last 4 words of the national anthem are gentlemen, start your engines, you might be a redneck.

Dree Mon
Avid Poster

Unread post by Dree Mon » December 20th, 2013, 9:09 pm

Goldylux wrote:Another small thing but i would weld some hooks on it too,always handy
for belts or anything really.

as many as you can fit ! and different sizes, even better if ya knoe what your gonna put where, an isle type with wheels works well too , gives you that " bunnings feeling" and mobile.

whizzo
Need to get out more

Unread post by whizzo » December 20th, 2013, 11:22 pm

If you are talking plywood, yeh, I doubt you want to pay for marine ply.

Real Australian standard marine ply is an "A bond" ( resourcinol glue)plywood with every single ply being "B grade" or better...no splits cracks or unfilled knots.

Strucrual CD, would be a good option same glue but all the plies but the face can be "D grade" with cracks, knots and voids.
Mostly CD is radiata...sometimes it comes as slash, that is harder and heavier, but more splintery & less consistent.
If you want a nice solid surface BB hoop is nice and not too exy
Imported exteriour ply....Usually some sort of meranti spiecies usually called another name, ( rape and pillage philipine or indonesian) may be a little soft
Form ply is not what it used to be, it used to mostly be radiata, but it is often meranti, it is generally an A bond ply, "B graded" faces with a phenolic resin coating....it may look attractive but it wont hold any sort of finish and the coating is danm hard to sand off

No 16mm is not overkill for a bench surface.....If you have the cash I'd go 18mm.

Ya realy need to beef up the front edge.....best is a big chunk of hardwood rebated for the surface sheet..or just rip off a length of ply 80 to 100mm wide from the sheet you are using and glue it along the front edge....flushs up the edge with a saw bench, circular saw & straight edge or electric plainer

I have found the best surface treatment is estipol sanding sealer ( clear polyeurathane), thinnned and several coats, (double the coats on the edges) then sanded 120 or 180 gritt.
I then apply a coat of furniture wax.
This gives a good firm surface that is not too slippery, glues and other stuff spilt wont stick too badly, because of the wax.

I clean my benches periodically with a random orbit sander, hooked to a vac, and reapply the wax.

Paint is not good..it looks shocking very quickly and rubs off on stuff as it scrags across the bench.

YEH MDF is not a real good work surface, unless its a sacrificial surface.....or if you seal it up well...like 3 or 4 coats of sealer....it will drink thinned sanding sealer...if you seal it up, it wont blow out at the slightest hint of water....but its still not a patch on good ply.

If ya picking up 18mm MDF cover sheets at $10 a sheet it gets attractive..if only for short term benches.

Laminate board ( chip or MDF) is OK for light duty benches.....but you must edge round and seal the edges

YEH if you plan on pounding on ya bench......dont fix shelves or tool boards to it.....mount them to the wall or free stand them seperately.

just some thaughts.

cheers

4xFourex
Been here a while

Unread post by 4xFourex » January 6th, 2014, 11:30 am

Cheers guys.
Rowdy thanks for the offer mate, but slightly too small. Heaps long enough, but 250mm too narrow. All good. I'm going to use ply on the bench with the shelves, and then half ply, half 4mm plate on the flat bench. Built it so I have a piece of RHS open side out, just clamp the welder to that.

Hit a speed bump though...turns out the shed floor, isn't quite as level as I would have thought. So the bench kicks up on one end. Just nee tog rind the legs to make it level.
Still a long way to go, but I have the basic structures built. Now to add the shelf framing.

The hooks are a great idea! I also have a few 50x50 off cuts that are cut on a 45deg angle. short side 50mm. So going to weld these up the post as a handy place to store pens, etc.

Progress so far

Aussie_Dan
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Aussie_Dan » January 6th, 2014, 11:36 am

Looking good, keep us informed as it progresses!

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”