4WDers and the National Code for Mods - Latest info

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
cac
Need to get out more

Re: VSI50 Back On The Cards Again! See page 4 for update

Unread post by cac » September 8th, 2011, 5:41 pm

this is what gets me yobbo.....I have asked about the factory ride height for a previous vehicle I had, and the service guys couldn't/wouldn't tell me....and it seems I'm not the only one to have this experience....

I'm going to start hassling both toyota and the RTA soon for the figures on my Hilux....it is completely unacceptable that we have to conform to the lift regulation if we can't measure how much lift we have...and if the coppers don't know, how can they enforce it properly.....is their opinion that the vehicle is too high sufficient to issue a defect notice??
LN106 Hilux Project

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=82487

yobbo112
Been here a while

Unread post by yobbo112 » September 8th, 2011, 6:00 pm

Its wrong, if they want to enforce a law you should be able to easily find out what the stock height of your vehicle is....
Just like we have a tyre placard telling us what size tyres they come with as standard...... they should have done the same with lift height

Heres me thinking... seeing as i have a tyre placard they can tell how much over standard with the rubber i am they come out with 265's i currently run 285's, How can they pick on me with my 2 inch lift when i can't even find out the stock height of my vehicle???
Don't Lock Up Australia!!!!!!

Craig 04gu
Been here a while

Unread post by Craig 04gu » September 8th, 2011, 6:15 pm

I'll just lower my headlights :D

yobbo112
Been here a while

Unread post by yobbo112 » September 8th, 2011, 6:32 pm

Craig 04gu wrote:I'll just lower my headlights :D
i can control the angle of mine with a switch in cab :D
Don't Lock Up Australia!!!!!!

raven ute
Avid Poster

Unread post by raven ute » September 8th, 2011, 6:44 pm

so let me get this straight,

the 4wd association has done a back door deal with the RTA to get themselves more members and more fees and couldnt give a rats arse about the rest of the 4wd community, im sorry but what a load of *******. all they want is more money in thier coffers and they will do anything to get it and this just proves it. what do they do for us if we join SWEET FuckAll, i dont see them out there ripping down gates that have been put there by the GREENIES to keep us out of OUR OWN country, this is all a back door midnight deal just to top up the coffers of the association and the WEAK AS PISS government whos spent every last cent we had and now need to recoupe some of it with defects and what not, do they not see the bigger picture? this will take cars off the road who pay stamp duty and rego every year, aussie jobs who do the work to these vehicals - these people pay taxes to this no good government! this is a JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im so glad my car is going in for certification on sat morning and i wont have to deal with this bunch of clowns!

ERASER
Need to get out more

Unread post by ERASER » September 8th, 2011, 6:58 pm

So if i do a driver training course and a member of a 4wd club im allowed to drive a higher car? Well guess what, if i happen to have an accident in that higher car guess who im going to sue........... we not me anyway, i wouldnt join a club but ill definatly suggest that to anyone who does tip their car over after having done a course. Id hate to be a 4wd driver trainer in the near future.
All i can say is im glad my cars engineered well beyond what the new maximums will be...................
my lux is only good for driving through puddles and i dont know anything.........
My Hilux

02-SR5
Need to get out more

Unread post by 02-SR5 » September 8th, 2011, 7:00 pm

Hence why I sold my Hilux for a Getz, and the wife drives a new Challenger.

Couldnt be bothered with this crap.

Rob

rolly82

Unread post by rolly82 » September 8th, 2011, 7:05 pm

^when are you going change your avatar picture Rob?
A picture of the Getz would be great,LOL.

Brad,

ERASER
Need to get out more

Unread post by ERASER » September 8th, 2011, 7:05 pm

02-SR5 wrote:Hence why I sold my Hilux for a Getz, and the wife drives a new Challenger.

Couldnt be bothered with this crap.

Rob
I on the other hand when i got wind of all this went and modded my car some more then got it all engineered....................... I cant be bothered with the crap anymore either ;)
my lux is only good for driving through puddles and i dont know anything.........
My Hilux

TuffTD42
Here and there

Unread post by TuffTD42 » September 8th, 2011, 7:47 pm

raven ute wrote:so let me get this straight,

the 4wd association has done a back door deal with the RTA to get themselves more members and more fees and couldnt give a rats arse about the rest of the 4wd community, im sorry but what a load of *******. all they want is more money in thier coffers and they will do anything to get it and this just proves it. what do they do for us if we join SWEET *****, i dont see them out there ripping down gates that have been put there by the GREENIES to keep us out of OUR OWN country, this is all a back door midnight deal just to top up the coffers of the association and the WEAK AS PISS government whos spent every last cent we had and now need to recoupe some of it with defects and what not, do they not see the bigger picture? this will take cars off the road who pay stamp duty and rego every year, aussie jobs who do the work to these vehicals - these people pay taxes to this no good government! this is a JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im so glad my car is going in for certification on sat morning and i wont have to deal with this bunch of clowns!
X2 on the 4wd association. The club I'm with is not affiliated with them because there a bunch of #$%@$#$@! There in it for the money not to help us out.

They have obviously done that back door deal. How's that for stabbing your fellow members in the back!

raven ute
Avid Poster

Unread post by raven ute » September 8th, 2011, 8:04 pm

ERASER wrote:So if i do a driver training course and a member of a 4wd club im allowed to drive a higher car? Well guess what, if i happen to have an accident in that higher car guess who im going to sue........... we not me anyway, i wouldnt join a club but ill definatly suggest that to anyone who does tip their car over after having done a course. Id hate to be a 4wd driver trainer in the near future.
All i can say is im glad my cars engineered well beyond what the new maximums will be...................

4wd instructors are glorified weekend wheelers, what accreditation do they have? where did they get it? who sanctions it? who makes the the best 4wd drivers around? load of fooey if you ask me.

what isuarance do they have? ive done plenty of driver training and advanced driver training coarses run by ex race drivers who run specific coarses yet i doubt they would go around putting thier reputation on the line and thier name on a certificate to satisfy the joke called the RTA there would be even more tools on the road thinking they know how to drive because someone gave then a certificate , i fail to see where a 4wd expert trainer would get thier training and make them GOD!

cockles
Avid Poster

Unread post by cockles » September 8th, 2011, 8:32 pm

TuffTD42 wrote:
raven ute wrote:so let me get this straight,

the 4wd association has done a back door deal with the RTA to get themselves more members and more fees and couldnt give a rats arse about the rest of the 4wd community, im sorry but what a load of *******. all they want is more money in thier coffers and they will do anything to get it and this just proves it. what do they do for us if we join SWEET *****, i dont see them out there ripping down gates that have been put there by the GREENIES to keep us out of OUR OWN country, this is all a back door midnight deal just to top up the coffers of the association and the WEAK AS PISS government whos spent every last cent we had and now need to recoupe some of it with defects and what not, do they not see the bigger picture? this will take cars off the road who pay stamp duty and rego every year, aussie jobs who do the work to these vehicals - these people pay taxes to this no good government! this is a JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im so glad my car is going in for certification on sat morning and i wont have to deal with this bunch of clowns!
X2 on the 4wd association. The club I'm with is not affiliated with them because there a bunch of #$%@$#$@! There in it for the money not to help us out.

They have obviously done that back door deal. How's that for stabbing your fellow members in the back!

Can we back off the crap for a while until the truth comes out and not what one person was apparently told.

I think we all need to take a breath and see what comes out in the next couple of days or so before bagging the state associations and the state transport authourities.

Cheers

stevem540i
Been here a while

Unread post by stevem540i » September 8th, 2011, 9:45 pm

I really enjoy reading other peoples perspectives & veiws on various subjects, especially when it involves things that affect what I may, or may not, be able to do to my vehicle.

What I am over though, is long winded rants by people who appear to be only full of their own self importance. Give us all a break & keep it short & to the point!

Looking forward to more updates from Brendan.

Cheers

whizzo
Need to get out more

Unread post by whizzo » September 8th, 2011, 10:43 pm

It occurs to me that there are some things being flown up the flag pole that either could never make law, would not stand up in court or would be impractical to enforce.

But that is nothing new, look at the Malasia solution, government are always trying things on.

for instance
For practicality, the tyre thing should be a seperate issue...if they want to limit to a 50mm (or whatever) tyre size increase..fine but don't associate it with other things.

trying to make tyre size dependent on you lifting a car by other means or not makes the measure very complicated to enforce on the road side.

Tyres on their own are easy enough to specify, tyre manual or manufacturers specs would be sufficient for every occasion.

Associate that with a suspension lift and the whole thing gets complicated

and dead right that actually finding a document that specifies ride height on quite a lot of vehicles is near impossible.......I recon its because the manufacturers don't want to provide grounds for people claiming waranty on the basis of sagged suspension.....and almost any spring system will sag thru its life.

Then in what state is ride height measured....it is reasonable to expect that a vehicle with various built-in items (a camper back for instance) may be fitted with a 3 inch raised suspension kit but may actually ride only two inches over standard, whatever that is.

so for the purpose of regulation, is that vehicle 2 inch raised and therfore not requiring engineering or 3 inch raised and requiring engineering and a full swerve test.

One thing that is conspicuous about this whole thing is the lack specification and definition......if they have not taken the time to specify and define things ( like how a suspension lift will be measured) they obioulsy have not taken the time to think about the legal mechaincs of enforcement.

As for QLD they have made their position clear.....once there IS and agreed national standard they will sign up to it.......otherwise what is the point.

I know QLD is viewed as being a bit restrictive...but as it stands, a 2 inch body lift does not require engineering, but requires government inspection and that costs small change.
The suspension lift restrictions are specified as a portion of suspension travel.
And we may have only 15mm to play with in tyre size but it is not linked with anything else.

as far as being brief..sorry, there is no brief answer to any of this.

cheers

whizzo
Need to get out more

Unread post by whizzo » September 8th, 2011, 11:00 pm

Oh as for specifiying a lift by headlight height......I can see plenty would just lower or replace their headlights...or split the body in at the "A" pillar and not rasie the guards and grill

Not the cleverest thing to specify vehicle height by.

cheers

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”