4WDers and the National Code for Mods - Latest info

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
Brendan B
Been here a while

4WDers and the National Code for Mods - Latest info

Unread post by Brendan B » June 18th, 2009, 3:48 pm

Hello Everyone

Australian 4WD Action Issue 135 is almost on news stands. In fact, some lucky subscribers, might already have found it on their door steps.

In it we discussed the National Code of Practice for Light Vehicle Construction and Modification and how it could effect the 4WDing industry and community. We want to know what you think about these issues, so jump on hear and have your say.

This is something that will effect everyone of us, so it is important we are well informed.

Don't make this an issue you don't know anything about untill it is too late!

Batty
4WD Action

FKT08
Avid Poster

Unread post by FKT08 » June 18th, 2009, 3:53 pm

Will look into it and report my thoughts as soon as I get my issue.
Hopefully these law changes only help us here in QLD, as they are a bit restrictive at the moment.

oldmacdonald
Avid Poster

Unread post by oldmacdonald » June 18th, 2009, 4:52 pm

If the NCOP ever gets adopted in QLD it will be a good thing. For one, it allows up to a 50mm increase in diameter over factory tyres, as opposed to the current 15mm. For me it means I can run 33's on my Wrangler no dramas.

So what's this article actually about? If it's just discussing the NCOP then it's pretty useless - it's been available for ages. Do you guys have some info on when it will actually be adopted? That would be interesting news.

FKT08
Avid Poster

Unread post by FKT08 » June 18th, 2009, 6:43 pm

Changes are supposed to be happening July 1st with all of Australia adopting the NCOP.
Haven't read the mags but have heard from engineers that all states will be changing/losing/adding something as a compromise agreement.
I know that tyre sizes and lift heights should be changed here in QLD, but apparentley we will be losing the right to build exo cages that we have now.
States like VIC, NSW will apparently be having their lifts limited to adjusted to a new national standard.
This hopefully will be the beginning of a new NCOP and although there will always be some that will not be happy there will also be some, especially QLD which will catch up to the rest of Oz.
At least we will all have the same standards.

croozy
Need to get out more

Unread post by croozy » June 18th, 2009, 7:17 pm

A NCOP might be a good thing. I can't help but think that suspension & tyre retailers will be the big losers in this new age of regulations.
On the other hand my already modified 4by may be worth a bit more in the near future.
I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory.

HAVE A GANDA AT MY SHED
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/gallery/21984-crikey

grimbo
Need to get out more

Unread post by grimbo » June 18th, 2009, 7:25 pm

to me national codes are not the best idea. I'd prefer a sytem where people can work with an approved engineer and be able to modify vehicles in a way that would meet safety criteria and public safety needs

Matty R
Been here a while

Unread post by Matty R » June 18th, 2009, 7:31 pm

I just read the article in the mag...... Its an interesting read. Im going to look up the website and read up a bit more on the ncop.

I have one question though, it says that if your car was moded before the code comes in to effect the mods are legal, but how can the prove it wasnt done after?
am i reading this wrong, or is this a loophole allready?
Mazda BT-50 Click here!

oldmacdonald
Avid Poster

Unread post by oldmacdonald » June 18th, 2009, 8:15 pm

If it's not retrospective then I assume a vehicle modified prior to NCOP would have to comply with whatever regulations were in place prior to NCOP - which wouldn't do you any favours in QLD anyway.

So July 1's the day then? Great. I will believe it when I see it though. It was supposed to be January 1 in QLD but they put it off.

croozy
Need to get out more

Unread post by croozy » June 18th, 2009, 8:33 pm

Matty R wrote:I just read the article in the mag...... Its an interesting read. Im going to look up the website and read up a bit more on the ncop.

I have one question though, it says that if your car was moded before the code comes in to effect the mods are legal, but how can the prove it wasnt done after?
am i reading this wrong, or is this a loophole allready?

For mods that need to be certified, the date on the engineers report & the first rego with said mods needs to be before the date the new regulations are introduced to be deemed legal.
I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory.

HAVE A GANDA AT MY SHED
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/gallery/21984-crikey

burbling 60
Been here a while

Unread post by burbling 60 » June 19th, 2009, 7:18 am

ive seen some 4by owners back home in perth that would be hating this - doesnt bother me as im more of a 33's and 2" lift tourer - but ive seen some pretty wild road registered 4bys in perth - doesnt look like they will get away with that any more

Trojan
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Trojan » June 19th, 2009, 7:30 am

FKT08 wrote:Changes are supposed to be happening July 1st with all of Australia adopting the NCOP.
Haven't read the mags but have heard from engineers that all states will be changing/losing/adding something as a compromise agreement.
I know that tyre sizes and lift heights should be changed here in QLD, but apparentley we will be losing the right to build exo cages that we have now.
States like VIC, NSW will apparently be having their lifts limited to adjusted to a new national standard.
This hopefully will be the beginning of a new NCOP and although there will always be some that will not be happy there will also be some, especially QLD which will catch up to the rest of Oz.
At least we will all have the same standards.
There is a lot of "apprentlies" in that, so like most other NCOP stuff i doubt any of it is correct.

Considering at this stage NSW RTA has stated they WILL NOT (and that's coming from an RTA Signatory) be adopting the NCOP in it's current form, i'd like to know the source of it being implemented in NSW in only a few weeks time.

grimbo
Need to get out more

Unread post by grimbo » June 19th, 2009, 9:19 am

most places I have spoken to have said that it is only guidelines, not actual law and as such will be accessing vehicles on a case by case basis

Stew
Avid Poster

Unread post by Stew » June 19th, 2009, 10:23 am

grimbo wrote:most places I have spoken to have said that it is only guidelines, not actual law and as such will be accessing vehicles on a case by case basis
So whats the point then. Unless they make them law they are just another set of useless guidelines.
[url]http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n245/stew4x4/[/url]

grimbo
Need to get out more

Unread post by grimbo » June 19th, 2009, 10:59 am

as they always have been.

DGR01
Avid Poster

Unread post by DGR01 » June 19th, 2009, 12:17 pm

Brendan B wrote:Hello Everyone

Australian 4WD Action Issue 135 is almost on news stands. In fact, some lucky subscribers, might already have found it on their door steps.

In it we discussed the National Code of Practice for Light Vehicle Construction and Modification and how it could effect the 4WDing industry and community. We want to know what you think about these issues, so jump on hear and have your say.

This is something that will effect everyone of us, so it is important we are well informed.

Don't make this an issue you don't know anything about untill it is too late!

Batty
4WD Action

I hate to put a damper on this but can we all sing "here we go again"
It is like a broken record and many of us are actually getting sick of hearing about this over and over and over.

showthread.php?t=13294
a thread from 2005, with an urgent request for feedback! wow is that so they can get it implemented by the year 3000?

As somenone who has gone down the road of vehicle modifications/inspections and engineering approvals FAR too many times and i can say definitively that currently in qld there is almost no chance that it will be implemented within the next 12-18 months (according to regional manager for vehicle standards). I would love to be proved wrong, by reading an official email or statement from the corresponding QLD dot spokesperson.

also please read some of the STUPID ideas!
yes you will be able to get a 6" lift engineered. BUT if you read it fully, you are not allowed to increased the 'rebound' distance (shock droop) at all. static height may be altered but total suspension travel must almost remain stock. GREAT? all aftermarket shocks are illegal......
lets put this into real perspective - a 6" lifted nissan, has ~8" travel front shocks as std, therefore once you put your big springs in it you will have less that 1" of downtravel, or to even start to make use of the big lift you need it to compress rather than extend so you spring would be sooooo soft it would be a bucket of crap on the road! Way to go! have anyone with a brain in DOTARS even read or decifered these rulings??? or are they just having a jibe at us? what pisses me even more is that supposedly educated people associated with the 4wd industry haven't even noticed the implications of these 'suggestions'.
FFS get some engineers involved!!! some people with some real say in matters.

sorry for the rant but we need to get real about this, or just shut up and accept it. Personally i am over it, maybe in the year 2099 i might read about how its ACTUALLY getting introduced!

But i must admit it would be a great job to be on the board at dotars! a 20year job to present ideas, go to meetings, put forward proposals and then do it all again............. untill you retire.
[url]http://WWW.TEAMDGR.COM[/url]
[url]http://www.superiorengineering.com.au[/url]
[url]http://www.locktup4x4.com.au/[/url]

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”