Busted!! My Tires, Suspension, Body Lift aren't legal!

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
whizzo
Need to get out more

Re: Busted!! My Tires, Suspension, Body Lift aren't legal!

Unread post by whizzo » January 11th, 2013, 10:10 am

Lesson #1 for anybody modifying cars......know what the rules are and the cost of breaking them before you do anything.

New rules as of November 1.

ANd one thing about the new rules......you need to have real good case ti justify a body lift, because it got a whole lot harder as on November 1, and the other regs that go along make it a pretty pointless mod on a hlux.

Ya got a maximum 50mm suspension lift and a maximum theoretical tyre diameter increase of 50 mm....in practice ya probably wont get 50mm tyre increase because of the available tyre sizes..so 31s is about the practical limit..and all of that will fit under the standard guards with the body in the factory position.

AND there is no opportunity to engineer anything further......BUT the big pluss is, you need no engineering or approval to do the above.

cheers

oversite
Need to get out more

Unread post by oversite » January 11th, 2013, 1:29 pm

I believe that there is still the ability to engineer further, you just need to justify your reason for the modification.

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Unread post by stockhorse » January 12th, 2013, 12:15 am

Correct oversite about the engineering. You don't need to justify anything, you just need to meet the requirments.

whizzo
Need to get out more

Unread post by whizzo » January 12th, 2013, 8:53 am

There is no provision to engineer higher than a 50mm lift or 50mm increase in tyre diameter in QLD, if you doubt me call 07 3114 5844.

I have rung and asked this question...... the answer is NO.......is it expected it will be alowed in the forseeable future...the answer is NO.

QLD did not adopt VSB14 verbatum......under the old rules the practical limit on some vehicles to increasing suspension lift was 75mm, but ya had no practical increase in wheel size...the view is the 75mm limit remains but ya don't get a choice of how.

On the matter of body lifts....that under the old rules required only inspection and no engineering.....they are now practicaly outlawed because to apply a body lift under VSB14 requires lane change testing.

Even under VSB14, suspension lifts over 50mm require lane change testing.

Any body tell me how many facilities and orginisations are available and acrdited to conduct lane change testing.....As far as i know there are none in QLD...and how much does this cost?.

Body lifts always facinated me, becaue they are only done in the 4wd world....and they increase centre of gravity height for very little benifit.

If it is only to permitt fitting of larger tyres, well most 4wd will take a 50mm diameter increase without one, if not we might see more people reshaping guards like they do in every other modified vehicle sector or we might see aftermarket body pannels like we see in other markets.

If its for body clearance and improving approach and departure angles.....again maybe we might see more body modification like we see in other sectors.

SO..the upshot is you get 50mm of suspension lift and 50mm in wheel diameter.....that is more or less the end of it (rather more than less), but there are no inspections, engineering or fees involved.

so for those of us that would like a little extra height, its all good.

Cheers

tas80
Been here a while

Unread post by tas80 » January 12th, 2013, 9:13 am

Seriously don't be scared off by the prospect of a lane change test, it's a walk in the park! Tassie has adopted the NCOP. My GU ute is engineered and mod plated for 3" ultra flexy coils, remote res shocks, Superior control arms and steering arms, Superior Superflex radius arms, aftermarket seating and 295/75/16 tyres ( Just under 34") It completed the test at 100km/hr with ease. Total cost of engineering was under $900 including the costs involved in the lane change test. (Track hire, CAMS driver, split amongst the 4 of us who did the test on the same day)

Doing the test.

The results
100 Series: Ute chopped, Locked and Rolled

GU Coil Cab: Work in progress!

My Ute Chopped Hunjy/GU Ute

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Unread post by stockhorse » January 12th, 2013, 11:19 am

Whizzo, stop acting like the know it all authority you are not. I linked the relevent sections that Qld has adopted earlier in this thread and confirmed them with the number you so often list. At the moment there is no facility for lane change tests in Qld and that is what is stopping approval of larger lifts.Lane change tests from NSW are acceptable to Qld authorities and your lift can be aproved in Qld if you provide the suitable paper work.
As to body lifts practically being outlawed because they requir a lane change test again you are wrong. You can still easily get plated for a 2' body lift (same as before) if you do not have a suspension lift as well. You cannot legally run increased tyre size with a body lift either but the blue plate authorised people say that that is the authorities to enforce but they will not aprove a body lift if the vehicle is presented with larger diameter tyres than standard.

whizzo
Need to get out more

Unread post by whizzo » January 12th, 2013, 1:16 pm

If the advice given to you is different, I strongly recommend you get it in writing.

as for higher lifts...is it worth all the expense of and interstate lane change tests for another 25mm of suspension lift....particularly...correct me if i'm wrong you cant have a tyre size increse with it.

As for body lifts...for one reason after another they are now pointless and in all practical terms illegal.
Why would anybody bother with a body lift if they cant have an suspension lift or and increase in tyre size with it.

As for blue plating of body lifts, that is pretty recent and only existed for a short time under the old system.

So we keep commimg back to 50mm of suspension lift and and 50mm of tyre size increase a total lift of 75mm and its all very easy....no engineering, no forms..all good.

Ya want a 50mm body lift..thats all you get...and it costs you money to get it approved.

Ya want 75mm of suspension lift...no increase in tyre sizes, no body lift and the price has just gone up over $1000 pluss the work.

That makes it practicaly illegal in my books.

cheers

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Unread post by stockhorse » January 12th, 2013, 3:00 pm

whizzo wrote:If the advice given to you is different, I strongly recommend you get it in writing.

It is in writing in the section of NCOP adopted by Qld

as for higher lifts...is it worth all the expense of and interstate lane change tests for another 25mm of suspension lift....particularly...correct me if i'm wrong you cant have a tyre size increse with it.

Yes you are wrong. You can have a lift up to 125mm; 25mm tyre,50mm suspension,50mm body lift.

As for body lifts...for one reason after another they are now pointless and in all practical terms illegal.
Why would anybody bother with a body lift if they cant have an suspension lift or and increase in tyre size with it.

The previous answer covers this

As for blue plating of body lifts, that is pretty recent and only existed for a short time under the old system.

still exists under current regs as pointed out in previous post

So we keep commimg back to 50mm of suspension lift and and 50mm of tyre size increase a total lift of 75mm and its all very easy....no engineering, no forms..all good.

Correct

Ya want a 50mm body lift..thats all you get...and it costs you money to get it approved.

Correct and legal not as you stated earlier in practical terms ilegal.

Ya want 75mm of suspension lift...no increase in tyre sizes, no body lift and the price has just gone up over $1000 pluss the work.

Wrong again. You can only get 25mm tyre, 50mm suspension and 50mm body lift engineered with lane change test under the new regulations. No 75mm suspension lift.

That makes it practicaly illegal in my books.

What it makes it in your book means nothing,what is legal or not legal reguarding regulations is what is important. Give what the regulations say not your opinion or belief as it effects others who have ask for information. Giving part information is misleading.

cheers
cheers

boof
Need to get out more

Unread post by boof » January 12th, 2013, 3:53 pm

Stock horse is correct, simply put Whizzo the option is now there to get it done legally which was not the case previously. You seem to like your stock trucks and that's great but for some of us modifying is another enjoyable part of our hobby. I still have some great memories of weekends with mates working on my old Lux.

Would I travel to NSW to do a lane change test and have my truck 100% legal definately is it worth the expense to me yes to you maybe not.

Also having actually modified vehicles in the past and not just posted links to reasons why people shouldn't here is my piece of advice to anyone actually wanting to modify their vehicle

Forget the drivvle you read on a forum,go seek an engineer well credentialed and respected and TALK to them, then take the information he has supplied, meet with the transport authority have them approve the plan and proceed from there.

There will always be two types of people in my mind, the car people and everybody else, everybody else will never understand the reasons and joy so don't waste time trying to convince them otherwise ;)
2014 FJ with a few mods

kevinmealing60
Been here a while

Unread post by kevinmealing60 » January 12th, 2013, 6:31 pm

whizzo wrote:kevin
Mate 2 inch lifted springs where perfelctly OK on a 60 series under the old systems and the new one......if you think the coppers don't know their regs...you ARE kidding yourself.

To any body who has been under a rock....QLD has now adoped most of VSB14 like every otyher state except NSW ACT and NT.

cheers
i said 2" and spring over axle
104 small.jpg
this is how i drove away from them, not even looking legal. soo how much lift and what tire size does it seem to have huh???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
85 60series 315/75r16 MT mtz on 16x10 sunnys
12h-t, front mount intercooled, 16 PSI boost, 93rwkw
beaudesert 3" mandrel bent, 3"suspension custom leaf packs,
superior extended shackles, air on board system.

kevinmealing60
Been here a while

Unread post by kevinmealing60 » January 12th, 2013, 6:51 pm

02-SR5 wrote:Yes, but there is a lot that wouldn't their bum hole from their elbow either.

How the hell do you spot a 3 inch lifted cruiser from a 2 inch cruiser?
exacly, this is how my trucks been getting round for a while now and have no issuse at all
tire size.JPG
now what lifts and what tire size?, as for the lift not even i know how I've managed to do what i have done, 35's and no body lift or guard mods.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rolly82

Unread post by rolly82 » January 12th, 2013, 6:54 pm

Bit off topic here,but when I was living in Cairns I saw a 60 exactly like Kevin's
(maybe it was the same one?) and not once did I ever see it get pulled over and defected.

kevinmealing60
Been here a while

Unread post by kevinmealing60 » January 12th, 2013, 7:03 pm

yer mate cairns is my home town, mine was the only one that high that ive ever seen anywere. the only reason its now lower is cause it was a bit hard to ride my quad up on the back of it previously.

brendan.peck
Here and there

Unread post by brendan.peck » May 5th, 2013, 10:31 pm

i haven't made any mods to my triton yet but i am looking to do so later on in the future and i am thinking of getting a 2 inch suspension lift and a 2 inch body lift with 33inch tires on 12inch wide wheels.

is having wider wheels ok or not?

eveyoz
Here and there

Unread post by eveyoz » May 6th, 2013, 9:06 am

And lifts/ tyre size changes on vehicles with ESC in QLD?

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”