Busted!! My Tires, Suspension, Body Lift aren't legal!

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
karlpaj85
Here and there

Busted!! My Tires, Suspension, Body Lift aren't legal!

Unread post by karlpaj85 » May 27th, 2012, 5:05 pm

ok so i was driving home this arvo and i look in the rear view and see those dreaded lights everyone hates. yep the cops. so instantly my stomach dropped. so to my new knowledge my tires are illegal, really didnt think were only 33s and must now be replaced, also got me for my suspension which is not even high compared to alot of others i see driving around. got me for my bodylift, so with the bodylift exactly what do i have to do to get it certified?
vw amarok

beach_fisher1973
Been here a while

Re: busted !!

Unread post by beach_fisher1973 » May 27th, 2012, 5:28 pm

How much suspension lift do you have? I dont want to play bush lawyer but from memory in Qld the regulation s still something like "suspension must not be changed by more that 2/3rds of manufacturers original specification, either way (increase or decrease)" which is hard as hell to prove. I dont know anything about body lift regulation other than rumours that you must use metal blocks and that 2 inches is the max body lift. Wheel regulation sucs in Qld. From memory you are only allowed + 15mm increase in overall rolling diameter. 33's will be illegal on anything smaller than a cruiser, rover or patrol.
"We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties."

karlpaj85
Here and there

Unread post by karlpaj85 » May 27th, 2012, 5:32 pm

yeah 15mm is right, which i think is really not cool, i paid alot for the tyres and rims and to be walked all over like they did was prettty rough. never did anything wrong as far as being a hoon goes, but at the end of the day rules are there for a reason right. might have to take bodylift out then get mod application form.
vw amarok

rowdyskrooza
Avid Poster

Unread post by rowdyskrooza » May 27th, 2012, 5:44 pm

Don't take it out mate. Just head into the Maroochydore Department of Transport and grab your self a Application to Modify or something like that...you will need to get it over the counter they aren't just in the stand of forms...fill that out send it in and they will send you a date for inspection, pass that and you're good to go. My brother and I have both done it that way.
If you want you could just chuck smaller tyres on for the inspection then you know what to do after that :) But they will come down harder on you next time if you get caught.
If you think the last 4 words of the national anthem are gentlemen, start your engines, you might be a redneck.

beach_fisher1973
Been here a while

Unread post by beach_fisher1973 » May 27th, 2012, 5:49 pm

Do you have to produce the truck once the work is done or go over the Transport pits? Most of us run with illegal tyres but most seem to get away with it. I confess to a little puckering every time i see an RBT line. I have my turbo mod plated but i am sure there is something else to pick on. It might be worth borrowing a set of standard wheels for when you have to take the truck in. I dont think they have much of a leg to stand on regarding the suspension lift. Unless you have gone for like 4 inches of suspension or something. So body blocks out and standard wheels might get you through an inspection.
"We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties."

rowdyskrooza
Avid Poster

Re: Busted!! My Tires, Suspension, Body Lift aren't legal!

Unread post by rowdyskrooza » May 27th, 2012, 6:09 pm

Like I said don't take it out! If your request is declined (I have never heard of this, if its only 50mm or below) THEN take it out but if you leave it in and it is accepted its totally legal...I love taking the smug look off a policemans face when he has a look over my cruiser and goes "Your body lift needs certifying" and I whip out my certificate and they just say "Oh" lol
Yes it will need to go over the pits...see if you can get some proof other than your body-lift certificate that you can show the police if you get pulled up in the near future again that you have just been there and done that and the truck is clear.
If you think the last 4 words of the national anthem are gentlemen, start your engines, you might be a redneck.

karlpaj85
Here and there

Unread post by karlpaj85 » May 27th, 2012, 6:10 pm

so if i was to get caught again during the time of waiting for the inspection would i just say that im waiting to go in and get it inspected and they couldnt really say anything right? and also is your body lift ally blocks or poly ones?
vw amarok

rowdyskrooza
Avid Poster

Unread post by rowdyskrooza » May 27th, 2012, 6:18 pm

Ally blocks mate,
Uhmmm...did you get a yellow slip? If you did then it will have a date that the changes have to be made/action taken by...once you're booked into the DOT for your inspection that qualifies as action taken and yes you should be fine but just ask when you book it...two years ago when I did mine I had to wait 6 months for an inspection and they were fine with me driving it.

karlpaj85
Here and there

Unread post by karlpaj85 » May 27th, 2012, 6:22 pm

as for showing the car yeah the cop did say it will have to be passed at DOT, and yeah ill have to borrow some wheels off someone one the day. ok ive got the poly ones, were told they were legal. i got a $100 dollar fine and one point, they let me off well in that department.
vw amarok

karlpaj85
Here and there

Unread post by karlpaj85 » May 27th, 2012, 6:23 pm

no defect slip tho.
vw amarok

beach_fisher1973
Been here a while

Unread post by beach_fisher1973 » May 27th, 2012, 6:40 pm

If you didnt get a defect slip ie "Defective Vehicle Repair Notice" which specifies where and when you have to present the truck and what needs to be fixed then you dont have to go over the pits or do anything else. If you just got the fine notice then you got away with just the $100 fine. Was the copper a local copper or from STTF? If they were your local traffic branch then they will see you driving again and will keep smacking you harder and harder until you fix it. If they wernt local then i would just pay the fine and keep going. Replace the poly blocks with alloy ones over time and get the body lift certified and maybe go with 32's next tyre change.

karlpaj85
Here and there

Unread post by karlpaj85 » May 27th, 2012, 6:50 pm

well they were in the blue car beachfisher, if that means anything, one copper knew his ***** but the other knew nothing about mods. so yeah ill just have to get ally blocks and cert i hey.
vw amarok

rowdyskrooza
Avid Poster

Unread post by rowdyskrooza » May 27th, 2012, 6:58 pm

That will be the best way mate...I don't know what you are going to do about tyres but maybe you could get them engineered if you really want them (i would give it a go).
But yeh the body-lift thing is a bit of a saga but once its done its well worth it.

beach_fisher1973
Been here a while

Unread post by beach_fisher1973 » May 27th, 2012, 7:03 pm

No idea. I used to get pulled over regularly while cruising and in my experience the STTF (hoon squad) guys knew their ***** and pinned ya but the locals couldnt really be bothered. If it was an unmarked car then it may have been local traffic guys. It should say where they were from on the bottom of the ticket. Did they give you one bit of paper or two?

karlpaj85
Here and there

Unread post by karlpaj85 » May 27th, 2012, 7:14 pm

just have to run the gauntlet with the tyres rowdy, body lift will be the easy part for now i think. they gave me just the one yellow fine. it says SCTB for the station. what that means i have no idea?
vw amarok

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”