Track Closures - tell us where you have been locked out of.

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
van zeyl87
Here and there

an other track closed

Unread post by van zeyl87 » July 5th, 2012, 11:58 pm

went for a drive on morton today an find red hills fire trail close off
this crap has got to stop

Magnat
Avid Poster

Another Track closure Red Hills Fire Trail.

Unread post by Magnat » July 11th, 2012, 9:58 am

I was driving past Fitzroy Falls NSW and noticed that the Redhills Fire Trail has two rather large concrete blocks placed in front of it.This trail leads behind the falls and links up with Red Hills Road near the Meryla state Forest.
So I sent the NP&W an E-mail to find out why.
Here is the reply I got.
During the recent very wet weather washouts occurred on the Redhills fire trail. Despite being told it was closed, several 4WDs continued to try to use the trail and required rescue by Parks staff when they subsequently got stuck at the washouts. Because of this the trail has been physically blocked. Closure is temporary but the duration of the closure is not yet known. NPWS will have to wait until the road dries out and the extent of the washouts and road damage can be determined before repairs can be undertaken.
We all know how good it is to hit the trails in the wet and the mud is fun.... but... Dont get stuck !

Darknight
Part of the furniture

Re: Another Track closure Red Hills Fire Trail.

Unread post by Darknight » July 11th, 2012, 10:44 am

Magnat wrote:
Despite being told it was closed, several 4WDs continued to try to use the trail
We all know how good it is to hit the trails in the wet and the mud is fun.... but... Dont get stuck !
Umm comprehension fail!

Magnat
Avid Poster

Re: Another Track closure Red Hills Fire Trail.

Unread post by Magnat » July 11th, 2012, 12:49 pm

I have never seen "Track closed " signs anywhere along this trail ever.
(and since I don't have a 4B I have walked it a few times )
The Rangers at the Fitzroy Falls Centre didn't even know it was closed or why...

So I am not sure if it was a communication failure or what.

But several times I have found 2wd cars down this trail and wonder if thats who really got stuck..

karol
Here and there

Re: Track Closures - tell us where you have been locked out

Unread post by karol » July 22nd, 2012, 9:09 am

ERASER wrote:These are the new wattos closures so far, still more to come.

https://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?msid ... c1c5&msa=0
cant really figure out the purpose of this closures. they were of no use to any kind of emergency vehicles for ages. they would have to drive pretty big trucks.

RDM
Been here a while

Unread post by RDM » July 23rd, 2012, 5:05 pm

Concerning the watagans; we had a club event up there last weekend, NP Rangers and a Forests ranger came and gave a talk about the area, some logging and Aboriginal history, but more of interest to the rest of you was an explaination as to why the gates are going in.

The main roads are being gated so the tracks can be repaired, after all the rain in the last year or so the area is pretty water logged, tracks have turned to slop and they are bringing tons and tons of gravel in to help drain and stablize the tracks, the gates will be shut to allow that work and to let the tracks dry out, this work is being done with a limited budget (your tax dollar) and the rangers were dismayed to report some of the gates have already been vandalised, they will pursue this.
We came across a barrier on Prickly ridge Road that had been taken down and moved Saturday afternoon, it was in place that morning, we went down Prickly Ridge Road to access Plank Hill Road (which has been graded) which we used to get to Cut Rock Road. Prickly Ridge is Closed at the junction of Plank Hill to stop access down, (although there is not a gate) it is gated at the bottom to stop access up.

As for the "play tracks" such as off Prickly ridge, these have been bulldozed because they were bush bashed in to start with and shouldn't be there (liability issues), as for tracks such as Daniels Point Road, the creek that runs through the bottom where the bog holes are feeds into the Wyong River and then the Lakes, this is an environment issue, there are other tracks that are in the same category.

One more thing, all gate closures will be posted on the relevent NP or Forests web sites, have a look before you venture out there. It was stated that the tracks would be re-opened when the work is finished and the tracks have dried out.

That's pretty much all I remember, don't shoot me, I'm only the messenger relaying some info.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » July 23rd, 2012, 5:13 pm

Thanks RDM, good to hear.
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Sparkys
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Sparkys » July 23rd, 2012, 5:19 pm

It does raise a decent point though, the 'play tracks' are the ones that quite frankly most of us enjoy the most.

raven ute
Avid Poster

Unread post by raven ute » July 23rd, 2012, 8:45 pm

Thanks for the updqate Bob, just a quick question for you, where do you stand on all of this knowing that we have had a few good days out there on all of the tracks that have been " Bush Bashed " in?

Also do you take the same oppinion as one of your fellow club members i ran into up there not long ago about make the entire wattagns a user pays and club membership controlled area? They put the gate on slippery rock road for the same reasons and its NEVER been reopened since, so what do you think will happen with the rest of them? only a matter of time before they have the place full of track cameras to make more money out of the situation

I know im seriously considering giving away my 4wding becuase of all this crap, we spent 2 days up at bullladela last weekend just exploring and all we came across was gate after gate, whats the point in owning a 4wd when all we will be aloud to drive anywhere near a forrest is a lowered commodore on 20 inch rims.

RDM
Been here a while

Unread post by RDM » July 23rd, 2012, 10:05 pm

Hey Kirtis, I’m of the opinion that the “play tracks” could be left open, they are a miniscule part of a huge area, the damage is done, and they could be a sacrifice by the Land Managers (NPWS & Forests). The big issue for the “play tracks” is the liability insurance, as a member of a club and the NSW&ACT 4wd Association I don’t think I’m covered to drive a non gazetted track, and it’s a real issue for the land managers so for them the solution is to “close” them. I’ve seen comments by people who state they would never make a claim against anyone and they play at their own risk, these statements are worthless. When I’ve been out with you and Pete etc, whoever organised the drive legally had a duty of care to the rest of us, it’s just the way it is today.

No I’m not in the “User Pays” camp; but, groups of a certain size are supposed to pay to use the forests, and I understand they (Forests) intend to start enforcing that, also National Parks charge to use certain parks, so there is a “User Pays” situation currently. The association members are usually trained and can hold recognised qualifications so are looked on favourably by the Land managers, this helps with access issues. (I hold advanced 4wd driving, and advanced 4wd recovery qualifications). Personally I can’t see public spaces being handed over to 4wd clubs nor do I believe they should.

Camera’s eh! mind what you wish for you might just get it, I’m in favour of having the main roads repaired, Prickly Ridge, Lemon Tree etc so gates on them, maybe weather dependant could work, gates are used successfully seasonally in other areas, Barrington Tops etc.

I’ve just had to pay the rego on my 4runner, I only did it for 6 months, like you I’m in two minds for the future (of the play tracks) and I’m not sure as yet whether to keep it or not, I have the 80 for touring and I have a locker to put in the rear so it will be pretty capable anyway if I should be anywhere with usable play tracks.

As a recreational group we really need to be on top of all these issues, not get up in arms after the event, the Watagans issues were decided a couple of years ago.
I know a lot of people don’t like clubs and associations but these groups have access to the Land Managers, if people don’t like the way they work join and change it, the associations have the attitude they works for their members, that’s fair enough, personally I think they could be more open and should post on forums to keep everyone informed as to their work, who knows they might get some members out of it.

matt82
Part of the furniture

dunny run Closed

Unread post by matt82 » July 23rd, 2012, 10:18 pm

ok for those victorians out there that like to play in the hawthorn bridge reference area out near neerim south
the top section (the fun bit) of dunny run has been closed off
trees across the bottom of the hill
and big holes dug by excavators at the top
after closing the good part of reference track off earlier last year... another one bites the dust

ERASER
Need to get out more

Unread post by ERASER » July 23rd, 2012, 10:48 pm

RDM wrote: It was stated that the tracks would be re-opened when the work is finished and the tracks have dried out.
I've been involved in 4wding for a long time. Long enough to know that what that statment means is, we will be closing these tracks with a gate and will use the excuss thats it cause the tracks are wet and after a while people will forget/move on and we wont open the gate again, ever.
Its happened many times before in the blue mountains. Doing it this way doesnt attract the attention of 4wders as much cause people think it will reopen............
Personally i think its great O farrell is slashing funding to national parks and cutting the number of rangers down.With any luck he'll slash it enough that they wont be able to afford new shiney gates.
my lux is only good for driving through puddles and i dont know anything.........
My Hilux

craigo7399
Getting to know the place

Unread post by craigo7399 » July 24th, 2012, 9:50 pm

Does anyone have any further "factual updates on Glasshouse Mountains? I getting reports that Qld gov, parks & wildlfie have setup co-vert cameras in trees and track areas to catch out illegal cars entering the state forest. police are also working in the area with quad bikes & 4x4s...Police are simply stopping vehicles & photographing the cars & number plates to be then chased by qld gov.
Glasshouse (as we all know) is a huge recreational hub for 4wders and motorbike riders and it would be a tragedy to lock it off...
Black 2004 V6 Prado Grande

outdoorgaz
Getting to know the place

Unread post by outdoorgaz » July 25th, 2012, 8:50 am

Re Glasshouse

The info below was sent out to members of a Qld 4WD club.

"For those that are not aware, the forestry area in the Glasshouse Mountains area has been sold by the previous government.
This sale has been for a 99 year freehold lease to Forestry Plantations Queensland (FPQ).
FPQ being a private company now have concerns with people traversing over their private property and their risk management process involves prohibiting the use of the tracks on the private property in the Glasshouse Mountains area by the public.
Discussions between 4WD QLD and FPQ and QPWS are currently underway.
4WD QLD have asked their clubs and associated members to refrain from driving on tracks in the Glasshouse Mountains area as this may have a negative impact on these negotiations.
FPQ have advised 4WD QLD that the Glasshouse Mountains tracks are private property and trespassers will be prosecuted.
Additionally covert surveillance cameras have been installed in the area to facilitate.
As more information comes to light it will be distributed to our members"

RDM
Been here a while

Unread post by RDM » July 25th, 2012, 11:14 am

Here's a link to the final Watagans National Park and Jilliby State Conservation Area Plan of Management

NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service Part of the Department of Environment, Climate Change and Water April 2010

All the answers to all your questions are in this document, ALL OF THEM, just read it.

As you can see this was finalized in April 2010, only now two and a bit years later is the work being done.

Perhaps we should be more vigilant in the future, all proposed management plans are posted on the environment.nsw.gov.au web site.

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”