Track Closures - tell us where you have been locked out of.

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
Mr.Squeaky
Here and there

Re: Track Closures - tell us where you have been locked out

Unread post by Mr.Squeaky » May 29th, 2011, 9:15 pm

TroopiePete wrote:
Mr.Squeaky wrote:Have just been informed that Condamine River Road is now closed to all but local traffic. :mad:
I would be checking this one,
Last time we drove on that road it had Road Closed signs on it but when we phoned both the local council and rangers both told us it was open, we think the locals put the signs up to deter people from driving on it.
The 2nd time we drove on it there was a tree over the track, we could have just driven around it but decided to remove the tree, all it took was a winch, pulley block and some time, but our efforts kept the road open.
Just went past there today with a club outing, and yep signs erected: no entry, road closed at both ends. I spoke to our state member when I found out about the closure, and the reply the council gave them was that it had been closed for repair since 27th December last year. :crazy:
Seems to me like maybe someone has complained about 4wders tearing it up and the council listening.But as we all know with everything we do, there is always one or two idiots who ruin it for everyone. :(

Man i hope this isn't permanent!

awbeattie381
Here and there

Unread post by awbeattie381 » May 31st, 2011, 1:30 pm

Yarramunmun Fire Trail connecting Yalwal to Main Road 92 (Nowra NSW). I think its council land though and last I heard they were considering key access to 4wd clubs. There have been a few more tracks in the area gated too. A couple of which you would never even know they were roads! makes you realise how quickly the bush can take over!

Ben78
Been here a while

Unread post by Ben78 » June 13th, 2011, 8:59 pm

TRACK: Carters Road
WHERE: Cunnawarra Nat Park, NSW
RESTRICTION: Tracks gated to prevent vehicle access

I only ever drove this track once, it was phenomenal. Large numbers of switchbacks dropping off a steep spur into the gorge where the Styx River meets the Chandler River west of Kempsey. I haven't seen the gate, Kev told me he was heading to Kunderang and I told him to have a look at it, Kev reported the gate.

If you want to see the extent of it the various Fire Management Plans for each Nat Park have a list of the tracks and who controls them and whether they are gated or not. The plans can be very hard to find though!

Ben78
Been here a while

Unread post by Ben78 » June 13th, 2011, 9:06 pm

Found one...

http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/resou ... aftFms.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scroll to page 45, listed are the trails that are maintained to a Category 1, 7 and 9 status, who controls/maintains and whether the track is open to the public.

You'll cry...

And here is all the Fire Strategy Maps. Based on the 25k topos they show all closed tracks, cat 1 and 7 tracks and gate locations. Also shows the good water points :) Handy as they also show the State Forest stuff due to them always being tied in to NPWS when it comes to Fire Management.

http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/firem ... tPlans.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

outback cruisa
Need to get out more

Unread post by outback cruisa » June 14th, 2011, 6:13 am

On a lighter side, GOOD NEWS for those in Brissy:
Rain damage closures in D'Aguilar National Park
Due to landslides, track damage and dangerous conditions caused by the January rain event, parts of D'Aguilar National Park (including Mount Mee section) have been closed temporarily for safety reasons.

The following areas within the park are closed:

All backcounty campsites in the southern section apart from Dundas Road, Lightline Road and Scrub Road;
The Audax loop;
Parts of Lawnton Road and England Creek Road (fire trails);
Wivenhoe outlook day-use area; and
Red Cedar day-use area
The main forest drive accesses including Lovedays Road, L Traverse, Peggs Road, Chambers Road and Neurum Creek Road in the Mount Mee section of the park have reopened to 4WDs, along with Neurum Creek and Archer campgrounds, the Somerset Trail, the Piccabean walk and the Falls Lookout and Lophostemon walking tracks. The western escarpment section of the Park has been reopened for motorised use, which includes the escarpment forest drive to the Somerset Lookout and associated back country fire breaks in that area. In the interest of public safety, the remainder of the Mount Mee section will remain closed until further works and repairs can be carried out under natural disaster repair and recovery arrangements.
Finally my favourite 4wd place in Brissy is open again :D
Pathy Buildup: Project Pathy

4WDAction Issue 185 Full Feature

Oddball321
Been here a while

Newest Locked Gate

Unread post by Oddball321 » June 15th, 2011, 9:24 am

check out the brand new and shiny gate at the entrance to the quarry off Hillsborough road in newcastle, there goes another good spot to have a play
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FenianEel
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by FenianEel » June 15th, 2011, 10:58 am

Hey outback cruisa, I was out there weekend before last, there's still plenty closed. Access gates from laceys Creek Rd are closed, as is A break, Byron Creek Rd, and a few other areas. You can still get in via Mt Brisbane Rd though to Peggs Rd.
Hardly a side track available in there anymore either.

Ezookiel
Need to get out more

Unread post by Ezookiel » June 16th, 2011, 5:01 pm

Used to be a track from the Canberra side of Queanbeyan, across to the Captain's flat road.
Took my two daughter's and a friend of theirs across the track once in summer, with the roof off the Zook. We'd been in the sun quite a long time by the time we reached the Captain's Flat Rd, and found a locked gate out onto the road. Pity they didn't lock or even signpost it at the other end as well. Bloody stupid. It was way too far to turn around and go back, and getting way too late. Thankfully upon driving up and down the fenceline looking for another way out of the jail they'd created, I found a place where someone else, had cut through the fence and created a clever little arrangement of loops of wire to hook it back up so it looked like the fence was complete, but it could be easily unhooked, opened and driven through, and then just hooked back up behind them. As much as I hate locked gates, I hate them even more when they're too stupid to lock BOTH SIDES so that you can end up trapped at the END of the track.

Paul MARTIN
I'm new, be nice!

No Freedom Camping Here Been Shut out

Unread post by Paul MARTIN » September 2nd, 2011, 12:26 pm

Talk about shutting the gates on people blocking , locking gates on Aussies back yard
or the great out doors Now in some places you can't even camp on the beach we have been
going to this spot for years ( Gum Tree Bay ) near Leeman in W.A there is sign posts along the coast line between Green Head and Nth of Leeman camping is prohibited by shire of Coorow, all I can say is this is bull dung , I believe no one can own a beach Iam born bread WA NOW BEEN SHUT OUT all because they wan,t you to stay in caravan parks

these are rules below regards not a happy camper

Camping
Camping in the Shire of Coorow is not permitted without the express written authority of Council or the relevant property owner in accordance with the Caravan Parks and Camping Grounds Act 1995 and the Carvavan Parks and Camping Grounds Regulation 1997.

Camping, whether in a tent, camper-van, motor home or car, must be undertaken in the registered caravan parks in either Leeman or Green Head.

Definition Of "Camp"
Section 5 of the Act (Interpretation) specifies that "camp" means any portable shed or hut, tent, tent fly, awning, blind or other portable thing used as or capable of being used for habitation and includes a vehicle of a prescribed type or in prescribed circumstances.

Other "Camping" Areas
Regulation 11 (1) states a person may camp –

for up to 3 nights in any period of 28 consecutive days on land which he/she owns or has a legal right to occupy
for up to 24 consecutive hours in a caravan or other vehicle on a road side rest area; or
for up to 24 consecutive hours in a caravan or other vehicle on a road reserve in an emergency only.
(d) on any land which is –
held by a State instrumentality in freehold or leasehold; or
dedicated, reserved, or set apart under the Land Administration Act 1997 or any other written law, and placed under the care, control or management of a State instrumentality, in accordance with the permission of that instrumentality; or
on any unallocated Crown land or unmanaged reserve, in accordance with the permission of the Minister within the meaning of the Land Administration Act 1997, or a person authorised by the Minister to give permission under this paragraph.
COUNCIL'S RANGER ACTIVELY PATROLS ALL AREAS OF THE SHIRE OF COOROW

Black Bull

Unread post by Black Bull » May 1st, 2012, 9:01 pm

Three trails I've found out that have recently closed
Anderson's fire trail (Not sure when)
Burralow Road fire trail (Over 6 months ago)
Pattersons Fire trail (last month or so)

Sparkys
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Sparkys » May 2nd, 2012, 2:02 pm

TroopiePete wrote:Fraser Island!

Ok we pay to get access to the beach and main tracks but many of the minor tracks are one by one being closed off or being tagged as Maintenance tracks!
I tackled one of the rangers about this issue while over there this month, his comment was we simply do not have the money to be maintaining them... my come back was that us the 4WD community would love it if they would stop managing the tracks and let us do it, provided they opened the areas back up.
He then continued to say that damage claims to cars and people was an issue and that they have already been sued and are currently being sued for some related issue.

So it seems that part of what we need to work on is getting laws changed so that when you enter a place like Fraser and pay the fee you are removing liability for claiming against such damage to you or your car as you acknowledge it is a potentially dangerous place.
Currently no such paperwork will hold water in court - we need to get this changed!
I realise this is asking a lot and will open up a can of worms for other insurance issues but somewhere taking responsibility for your own actions has to take precedence over claiming it was the Government or someone else's fault.
THIS! This is gold right here Pete. If we all accepted that when we have an accident we're liable for it ourselves I'm POSITIVE that more tracks would be open. The fear of legal action is what closes so many things down, not just in the 4WDing scene.

The Missus
Avid Poster

Unread post by The Missus » May 2nd, 2012, 4:03 pm

Ezookiel wrote: As much as I hate locked gates, I hate them even more when they're too stupid to lock BOTH SIDES so that you can end up trapped at the END of the track.
Which is exactly what we found in the Rubicon just a few weeks ago. My brother and sister-in-law had just bought their first ever 4wd and we were out with them showing them some of the ropes - trundling down a very pretty track, about 19ks along, and about 500m from the road on the other side there was a jolly locked gate.

Some bright spark had been there before us and built a ramp of sorts over the bank on the side so G had his first go at lining up his wheels and precariously climbing over some rather dodgy looking logs and rocks. I was sure my SIL would never go off road again, but she came with us over Moomba weekend and had a ball - keeps asking when the next trip is.

And that's the other thing - gates should be on the ends of tracks, not 500m in, around a few bends, especially in the High Country where turning around sometimes isn't an option.
Adventure before dementia!

furious
Been here a while

Unread post by furious » May 5th, 2012, 6:17 pm

The tracks will be opened once a fire goes through the area and the rural and metro fire brigades realise that because the tracks were closed they were not able to access the fire and fight it effectively and real properties were lost as a result.

I just hope that because of the track closures loved ones are not lost.

It is very short sighted to close tracks because of damage. at lest the tracks are kept open and mostly drivable (erosion and some animals in 35'' tired, dual locked 4wds do dig up some tracks and make them impassable to any not in a similar vehicle).

Around Coffs it take only 6 moths of no traffic down a fire trail and the bush and claimed the track back.

Black Bull

Unread post by Black Bull » May 5th, 2012, 7:29 pm

I drove Anderson's fire trail & Burralow Road fire trail about 3 months ago, they were both driveable in my Stock frontera, the damage was mainly from Erosion due to the heavy rain we've had over the last 12 months.

ERASER
Need to get out more

Unread post by ERASER » May 5th, 2012, 8:10 pm

furious wrote:erosion and some animals in 35'' tired, dual locked 4wds do dig up some tracks and make them impassable to any not in a similar vehicle.
Incorrect. Its the people with their little tyres usually highway tyres or bearly an all terrain with open diffs, that spin their tyres up on a track. Their the ones that cause the most track damage spinning their tyres or finding chicken tracks to get around obsticles. I think you will find that 4wd's with 35's and dual locked will get through without spinning at all..........
my lux is only good for driving through puddles and i dont know anything.........
My Hilux

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”