Track Closures - tell us where you have been locked out of.

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
Micky-Lux
Been here a while

Re: Track Closures - tell us where you have been locked out

Unread post by Micky-Lux » February 28th, 2011, 11:36 am

Lockyer State Forest

Now National Park. Main road from Millers Rd through to Seventeen Mile Road was still open at last check. All else was closed when I was last up there. I believe bikes have found ways around the barricades, not sure about 4wd's. Either way, police and rangers have been up there at times doing blitz's. Shame, it was a nice spot up there.

sudso
Need to get out more

Unread post by sudso » February 28th, 2011, 1:34 pm

Lutey wrote: When i asked what about dirt bikes, dont they tear it up?? I was told, that they come in for the day, dont get drunk and destroy things, and seem to always take there rubish out with them. And they dont do hardly any track damage.
:eek: Has that ranger been living under a rock?!!! He needs to work in SA/Vic for a while. Red Bluff camp has been vandalised several times by groups of mx riders. They get smashed, tear it up, smash bottles, leave their rubbish etc. Last lot to do it were from Melbourne and they accidently left some ID behind in their rubbish lol.
I love terra firma - the less firma the more terra

Pezz
Been here a while

Unread post by Pezz » February 28th, 2011, 6:51 pm

Just thought I’d throw up another point of view into the mix.
I work for a land management organisation that I won’t name here. A fortnight ago I was working on a parcel of bushland on the Eastern Escarpment of the Blue Mountains very close to Yellowmundee Regional Park which was mentioned by Rick in an earlier post. Anyway the land has an issue with illegal access from both 4WD and trailbike riders. The main access trail descends from a sealed road down several rocky steps and ruts, that with some careful rock packing are drivable with a standard hilux, the trail then contours alongside a creekline and has several large mudholes and puddles that get bigger every time we visit. Further down are some massive ruts that come to about my waist, about a metre deep. I spent two full days with a team of three blokes repairing the ruts to limit any further erosion of the track. The work involved chainsawing a heap of big logs at least 400-500mm in diameter then pinning them into the rut for its entire length of about 30 metres. Needless to say it was some bloody hard work that will, in time, begin to repair the damage to the track and make it passable to emergency service vehicles and the owners of the land.
Now getting to my point, after leaving the site for the weekend, we returned on Monday to find the vast majority of the work smashed and the rut more extensively damaged, the tell tale sign that it was done by some 4wds were the massive Mickey T MTZ tyre tracks, even on the logs that were pinned into the rut with 5 foot star pickets.
Now I can confidently say that the work was bloody obvious to anyone with half a brain upstairs and to have somebody use the logs as a step challenge and rip the place apart really pissed me right off. Needless vandalism annoys me at the best of times but when that happens to stuff that I’ve worked my butt off to install, it really ticks me off.
I think that until 4WD owners can gain the respect and confidence of land managers, they will continue to be seen as rev-head hoodlums who go out to destroy the areas they drive in.
By the way there is about 14,000 in the budget for a large gate and some cable fencing to be installed at the access track. So soon you’ll be able to get no further that another big gate across a road, and rest assured it’ll be a bloody big gate.
I should mention that I do actually own and drive two 4WDs myself, just responsibly and in legal areas.

Struth
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Struth » February 28th, 2011, 8:03 pm

Travel south from Interview River on Tassie's west coast beaches is now illegal, so we can no longer drive to Pieman Heads from Sandy Cape. It is maybe a further 2 to 3 hours drive along the beach between Interview River and the Pieman but we are simply not allowed anymore.

Cheers

ERASER
Need to get out more

Unread post by ERASER » February 28th, 2011, 8:16 pm

Pezz wrote:Just thought I’d throw up another point of view into the mix.
I work for a land management organisation that I won’t name here. A fortnight ago I was working on a parcel of bushland on the Eastern Escarpment of the Blue Mountains very close to Yellowmundee Regional Park which was mentioned by Rick in an earlier post. Anyway the land has an issue with illegal access from both 4WD and trailbike riders. The main access trail descends from a sealed road down several rocky steps and ruts, that with some careful rock packing are drivable with a standard hilux, the trail then contours alongside a creekline and has several large mudholes and puddles that get bigger every time we visit. Further down are some massive ruts that come to about my waist, about a metre deep. I spent two full days with a team of three blokes repairing the ruts to limit any further erosion of the track. The work involved chainsawing a heap of big logs at least 400-500mm in diameter then pinning them into the rut for its entire length of about 30 metres. Needless to say it was some bloody hard work that will, in time, begin to repair the damage to the track and make it passable to emergency service vehicles and the owners of the land.
Now getting to my point, after leaving the site for the weekend, we returned on Monday to find the vast majority of the work smashed and the rut more extensively damaged, the tell tale sign that it was done by some 4wds were the massive Mickey T MTZ tyre tracks, even on the logs that were pinned into the rut with 5 foot star pickets.
Now I can confidently say that the work was bloody obvious to anyone with half a brain upstairs and to have somebody use the logs as a step challenge and rip the place apart really pissed me right off. Needless vandalism annoys me at the best of times but when that happens to stuff that I’ve worked my butt off to install, it really ticks me off.
I think that until 4WD owners can gain the respect and confidence of land managers, they will continue to be seen as rev-head hoodlums who go out to destroy the areas they drive in.
By the way there is about 14,000 in the budget for a large gate and some cable fencing to be installed at the access track. So soon you’ll be able to get no further that another big gate across a road, and rest assured it’ll be a bloody big gate.
I should mention that I do actually own and drive two 4WDs myself, just responsibly and in legal areas.
Is it private property? It seems by your post that it isnt as someone else is paying for a "BIG BLOODY GATE" Shouldnt the land owners pay for it? If its private property ignore the rest of my post.
If its crown land or national park or whatever other stupid name they call places today i have no time for any of them. Theres thousands of acres of land, i refuse to beleive that a 6 foot wide track that in total would add up to a couple of acres would be the end of the world if other tax payers i.e us 4wders were to use it.
my lux is only good for driving through puddles and i dont know anything.........
My Hilux

Pezz
Been here a while

Unread post by Pezz » March 1st, 2011, 4:18 pm

Sorry Eraser, should have made that clearer. Yes it is private land, and the money for the gate is from a grant that the owners applied for.
I'm all for keeping areas open for 4WDs to drive in that's what I bought mine to do, but until the image of 4WDers changes in the offices of the state governments that manage our national parks, we will continue to face an uphill battle to keep areas open. It's just a pain that people such as those I described continue to set our cause back.
Cheers,
Pezz.

TroopiePete
Need to get out more

Unread post by TroopiePete » March 2nd, 2011, 9:06 pm

I have to agree with the comment about why should we be locked out of areas if it is public land, Private then the owner is hopefully paying.

But if it is public land why lock us out!

As for the Damage, I doubt any one on this forum would condone outright vandalism but possibly it was in response to the threat of being locked out!
As said I don't agree with vandalism but my blood boils when I see tracks closed off with maintenance track only or fenced, it's just lucky that "Most of the time" I am able to contain my rage!

But one thing is obvious - there are way too many hot heads that think nothing of trashing a track just of the name of fun - for all of our sakes how about speaking to these guys or report them, take photo's what ever as it's wrecking it for the rest of us!

As for the tracks being kept clear for fire trucks, maybe this happens down south but most tracks up this way are just let to grow over as the Department cannot afford to spend time travelling on the tracks, hence by the time a fire is happening the road is totally unusable.
Peter Richens - VK4FSD
HF Radio club - 4115
River City 4WD Club - President 2010 - 2014 http://www.rivercity4wdclub.net

FJ45saunders
Been here a while

Unread post by FJ45saunders » March 3rd, 2011, 3:32 pm

TroopiePete wrote: As for the tracks being kept clear for fire trucks, maybe this happens down south but most tracks up this way are just let to grow over
Nope happens down south too! Fire access only and you wouldn't even bother riding a motorbike down there they're so over grown!
'77 SOA FJ45 cruiser ;D check out my build viewtopic.php?f=22&t=99992

Mr.Squeaky
Here and there

Unread post by Mr.Squeaky » May 18th, 2011, 2:06 pm

Have just been informed that Condamine River Road is now closed to all but local traffic. :mad:

Dree Mon
Avid Poster

Unread post by Dree Mon » May 18th, 2011, 3:47 pm

Your Kidding ! ! I was going to take the family to Condomine either this or next weekend, !
what a rip off !!! SHITE is not a word

Tritonic
Been here a while

Unread post by Tritonic » May 18th, 2011, 4:35 pm

Peter @ Aawen4x4 wrote:
But wilderness areas ARE saved for hikers ONLY.
- why are we being actively discriminated against & closed out of such vast areas ..... would be able to ensure that everybody who wishes to access these areas would be able to do so, regardless of their ability or otherwise to walk in?
yeah - the greeneries aka greenies and the govt exercise open discrimination all the time like this...

Take Booloumba Creek in the Colindale NP SEQ as an example...

They have 4 camping areas... But the pristine pick of them - the camping areas alongside the beautiful creek are off limits to 4WDs with ute campers or camper trailers... Us lot are banished up the hill on the grassy knoll. .. Pleasant enough - but nothing like the creek experience...

Camping beside the creek is only permitted for walk-in jobs with tents... OR 4wds parked beside tents ... If you're got the cash/where for all to own or want to 'live in' something more substantial like a camper trailer - its no; you are discriminated against for that... Another example of Oz being dumbed-down to the lowest denominator IMO.

Of course the NPWS throw up the argument that camper trailers and utes will not fit into the beside the creek camping areas - but anyone that knows this area will agree that that is a lie... its total rubbish.. For a start they do allow 4WDs & 2WDs parked beside the creek with their tents pitched beside them... Go figure!

Ezookiel
Need to get out more

Unread post by Ezookiel » May 20th, 2011, 10:00 pm

Spent all last week planning a trip to Blue Water Holes from Canberra Thur-Fri of this week.
Finally turn onto Baretts Rd yesterday and got just 1km down the track to find a heap of red&white tape across the road, and "Logging - Keep Out" signs on each side of the track. There was no other route, and our whole plan had been shot to hell. There was a small sign saying that the site could be contacted on Channel 24 UHF. We tried the channel and asked if they knew if any of the alternate routes might have been opened when this one had been close, and they gave us permission to lift the tape and come on through, but to drive cautiously, and to ensure the tape was replaced. So technically it wasn't a lockout, but it came very close to being one. Every other track leading down there from this end now seems to have barriers and gates on it. It would have been exceedingly frustrating if they'd locked this one up as well so they could do some logging

Mashew93
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Mashew93 » May 20th, 2011, 10:11 pm

I ride my motorbike in the talawahl state forest near nabiac, tarree, bulladelah ect. and in the past year atleast 75% of the tracks have been logged, a few have had bridges removed and a few have had logging crews through there and layd tree's all over the tracks, even on motorbike now most of the tracks are so overgrown you have to go around in first gear to avoid fallen trees and overgrown lantana. Though in the easter weekend i seen a group of fourbys out there trying to get through some tracks, me and my mates helped out but yeah :P
Never fear, Lock, Stomp and Steer!

TroopiePete
Need to get out more

Unread post by TroopiePete » May 21st, 2011, 10:33 am

Mr.Squeaky wrote:Have just been informed that Condamine River Road is now closed to all but local traffic. :mad:
I would be checking this one,
Last time we drove on that road it had Road Closed signs on it but when we phoned both the local council and rangers both told us it was open, we think the locals put the signs up to deter people from driving on it.
The 2nd time we drove on it there was a tree over the track, we could have just driven around it but decided to remove the tree, all it took was a winch, pulley block and some time, but our efforts kept the road open.
Peter Richens - VK4FSD
HF Radio club - 4115
River City 4WD Club - President 2010 - 2014 http://www.rivercity4wdclub.net

petercorro
Here and there

Unread post by petercorro » May 29th, 2011, 4:11 pm

three chain track,also known as redhill track in the VIC HIGH COUNTRY between mans field and mount bulla has been temp closed due to the recent storm damage,the ranger told us it could possibly be gated permantly due to lack of funds to repair it.this is a shame ,it was very challenging track that led to scenic camp spots on the howqua river. LUCKY I GOT VIDEO FOOTAGE TO SHOW THE GRAND KIDS

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”