Track Closures - tell us where you have been locked out of.

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
Crunch
Part of the furniture

Re: Track Closures - tell us where you have been locked out

Unread post by Crunch » November 29th, 2010, 8:25 pm

^^^

Interesting, thanks for sharing.

FJ45saunders
Been here a while

Unread post by FJ45saunders » December 1st, 2010, 10:15 pm

Many sick tracks behind walhalla, victoria (baw baw nat. park i think) including: Old morning star tk, Old S tk, Trig tk. Old flats tk. been mound and holes bull dozed/ dug and trees dropped in front of them, although some have been 're-directed' over the top of, many have not. STOP WRECKING OUR FUNN!
'77 SOA FJ45 cruiser ;D check out my build viewtopic.php?f=22&t=99992

mrcrazydude
Here and there

Unread post by mrcrazydude » December 2nd, 2010, 12:39 pm

TroopiePete wrote:Fraser Island!

Ok we pay to get access to the beach and main tracks but many of the minor tracks are one by one being closed off or being tagged as Maintenance tracks!
I tackled one of the rangers about this issue while over there this month, his comment was we simply do not have the money to be maintaining them... my come back was that us the 4WD community would love it if they would stop managing the tracks and let us do it, provided they opened the areas back up.
He then continued to say that damage claims to cars and people was an issue and that they have already been sued and are currently being sued for some related issue.

So it seems that part of what we need to work on is getting laws changed so that when you enter a place like Fraser and pay the fee you are removing liability for claiming against such damage to you or your car as you acknowledge it is a potentially dangerous place.
Currently no such paperwork will hold water in court - we need to get this changed!
I realise this is asking a lot and will open up a can of worms for other insurance issues but somewhere taking responsibility for your own actions has to take precedence over claiming it was the Government or someone else's fault.

Hmmm........ very interesting!
Some mates & i were up there in july and we were ticked off at how many tracks were "maintenance access only" etc. Still a good trip, but very disappointing!!

Wonder how we could go about getting those sort of legal things done such that we do enter at our own risk etc & can't sue the gov't or whatever.

TroopiePete
Need to get out more

Unread post by TroopiePete » December 4th, 2010, 8:26 pm

Maybe we should sue the Government for preventing us from having a good time!
Peter Richens - VK4FSD
HF Radio club - 4115
River City 4WD Club - President 2010 - 2014 http://www.rivercity4wdclub.net

Dono1
Here and there

Unread post by Dono1 » December 8th, 2010, 3:49 am

Slippery Rocks. Was a great little camping area in state forest with 2wd acess but now it has trees and rocks bulldozed over the main entrance. There were too mant idiots in 2 and 4 wheel drives causing troubleand burning the toilets and picnic tables etc.

Curtly
Avid Poster

Unread post by Curtly » December 8th, 2010, 9:26 am

The Mebbin State Forest has now become a national park and all off shoot tracks up to the escarpment have been gated, though the road( not a track anymore) still runs through to Kyogle.

The beach access at Fingal Head (Tweed) has also now been fenced off, with signage though when Iwas there a while back I was struggling to see the signs the ranger was so adamant were there.

Jeeps
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Jeeps » December 8th, 2010, 4:13 pm

Boonah to Kooralbyn track.

The council has erected a "Road Closed" sign on the Boonah end and a land owner has strung barbed wire fence and a "No Tresspassing" sign on the Kooralbyn end. It's been closed a while now and it's a shame as the track follows the creek most of the way through some great country. If it was open, it would be comparable to the Condamine River Gorge 4wd track or the Duck Creek 4wd track except the Boonah connection track is not maintained so would be pretty rough ;)

cheers

ranger2452
Need to get out more

Unread post by ranger2452 » December 8th, 2010, 5:46 pm

bindarri nat park just a small park here in coffs now has 2 gates up saying maintainence trail only and another road was washed out about 2 years ago still to be fixed :(
W.A .......whingers anonymous
Coffs harbour.....4wd capital of the WORLD
Ranger2452 aka rebadgedmazda2452

Rick
Been here a while

Unread post by Rick » February 7th, 2011, 10:30 am

Thanks for sharing your experiemces folks, keep them coming!

FuzzyM
Been here a while

Unread post by FuzzyM » February 7th, 2011, 3:30 pm

Back 20 years ago i guess, my uncle used to go out on the tracks behind the silvan reservoir. Its all gated now. Its five k's from my house :cry:
1998 Dual Cab Hilux 2.7

TroopiePete
Need to get out more

Unread post by TroopiePete » February 27th, 2011, 9:49 pm

Hi

Not sure what has happened with this forum thread but seems a little dead.

Ok a few weeks back I attended a meeting with 4WD QLD the association that most 4WD clubs in QLD and some in NENSW are affiliated with, it was a Club Presidents meeting of which I am one.

4WD QLD - www.4wdqld.com.au

My Club - www.rivercity4wdclub.net

It seems that 4WD QLD has been working hard behind the scenes - not secretly but just keeping a professional approach with the department, the communications have been around getting an official presentation for our clubs to participate in a joint venture of managing the parks, this involves accessing many of the locked gated areas and some that are marked management only but not locked, we will assist by clearing trees and other minor blockages, reporting things like dumped cars and major work that would be needed to clear the tracks.
Once this work has commenced some clubs may adopt a track and many or some of the tracks currently closed may open up to the general public - some will not as they are deemed to be high erosion tracks and such.

I do not know of any official reports of other states doing this but it has been hinted that it may be happening, plus while talking to a ranger from the NENSW area they have been talking to some of the local 4WD clubs about similar agreements.

So before we all get actively involved in badgering the pollies about access to parks lets start talking to your local 4WD associations and find out if they have been doing any work towards this - after all they are there to help us the 4WD public and 4WD club members - they can be you best friend and while belonging to a club may not be your first desire as a 4WD owner it is a good way to get strength in numbers.

I realise the intentions of this forum and magazine are for the best intention of the 4WD public but sometimes communications with organisations such as the clubs and better still our state bodies such as 4WD Queensland would be the best place to start as often we are all ready on top of what is going on - may of the members may not be all that good at advertising what they are up to or deliberately keep it quiet as they are dealing with sensitive issues but be assured they are well on the way through the process.
Peter Richens - VK4FSD
HF Radio club - 4115

dudelux
Part of the furniture

Unread post by dudelux » February 28th, 2011, 9:40 am

Theres signs around the old jail out the back of Wyee/Morisset, saying do not enter, by order of the NSW ALC.
Im guessing that because of all the vandalism that happens out there, people dumping/burning stolen cars, people blowing up the big brick walls around it.
If anyone here has ever been out there and actually seen the poor condition the place is in, Why dont they just knock it all down, the place is falling down, or has already fallen down.

The signs have been pulled to the ground.
This was yesterday(sunday).

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » February 28th, 2011, 10:10 am

But wilderness areas ARE saved for hikers ONLY.
It's been quite a few years since I was able to do that sort of stuff, (I had my capability for doing that destroyed in the service of my country) & I have a daughter who due to circumstances totally beyond her control will NEVER be able to hike into places like that, our only method of access these days is via 4WD - why are we being actively discriminated against & closed out of such vast areas of our great backyard, especially since most of these areas that qualify as wilderness areas have been open & used by the 'public' for the last 150 years or so & the 'public' has managed to keep them so pristine that they now qualify as wilderness?? Surely proper Management (not just the lock it up & throw away the key type, leaving it accessible to only a tiny portion of the population) would be able to ensure that everybody who wishes to access these areas would be able to do so, regardless of their ability or otherwise to walk in?
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

thebear05
Part of the furniture

Unread post by thebear05 » February 28th, 2011, 10:38 am

This attitude is the reason I will have nothing to do with the NSWPWL. As far as I am concerned NSW National Parks seem to be exclusively saved for the rangers and their greenie mates.
I have, over the last couple of decades seen more and more areas gated off and left with no management what so ever.
This mismanagement by the National Parks led to the bad bushfires in the Blue Mountains a couple of years ago, as the fire trials had disappeared. Because of this ongoing mismanagement the National Parks have become a haven for all the feral animals.
The State Forests are so much better with access for vehicles, camping and as part of an agreement with the NSW Game Council some 150 are available to hunt in.

The Bear

TroopiePete
Need to get out more

Unread post by TroopiePete » February 28th, 2011, 11:10 am

Yes Totally agree with the mismanagement issues with most of the agencies.
The Parks officer I was speaking to was complaining about how they have to keep replacing gates as they have either been removed or destroyed!
While I do not agree with destroying property I think it clearly shows that the public "be it a minority or not" are not happy with the current status and are taking matters into their own hands to rectify matters.

While the steps 4WD QLD have taken will not change things over night we are hoping that it may help to change the attitude and general lock them out policy to a more understanding and softer approach by the powers to be, it will not happen over night but hopefully it will change.
Peter Richens - VK4FSD
HF Radio club - 4115

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”