Track Closures - tell us where you have been locked out of.

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
Ezookiel
Need to get out more

Re: Track Closures - tell us where you have been locked out

Unread post by Ezookiel » November 15th, 2010, 5:18 pm

No idea of the name of the track, or if it's even got a name, but there used to be a track from the bottom of "Barracks Flat Drive" in Qbn out to the Captain's Flat Rd.
I took the top off the Zook, and loaded my two daughters and one of their friends into the vehicle, and set off as the day got hotter and hotter. Only to get to the final gate 4 feet from the Road, and found they'd locked it at that end, but not at the other. Be pretty smart to actually lock BOTH ends if you're going to lock a friggin gate without warning. It was a good hour and a half drive back through that track to Qbn, and there was no way to do that in that heat without the roof of the Zook (never again travelled without it rolled up in the back no matter how much I had on board).

The salvation was that when I looked really closely at the gate, where the chain went through the mesh, someone had cut one bar of the mesh so it could be bent open to let the chain out, and then bent back into place to make it look all locked up again.

Of course, the fact that the START of that track is now a housing development means that the gate at the other end is the least of the things stopping anyone doing the track now.

Shame actually because it had some really nice views out over Canberra from the top of those hills at the Trig Station.

Oznut
Need to get out more

Unread post by Oznut » November 16th, 2010, 5:35 am

Ormeau on the northern Gold Coast. Main loop is still open but everything else is pretty much closed.

TD4
Here and there

Unread post by TD4 » November 23rd, 2010, 5:05 pm

With liability being a recurring reason for closing trails it's a pity they don't just pass a law that makes people responsible for their own actions on an "enter at own risk" basis.

Another common reason cited for road closures is that the track is in poor condition. Personally, I prefer it that way.

Potta
Been here a while

Unread post by Potta » November 23rd, 2010, 7:00 pm

Not so much tracks but more recreational areas for camping, picnicking etc.

Whittakers Mill - Has significance to me as my Grandfather lived and worked there for many years. Can't even drive in anymore, the only use is via the Munda Biddi trail on a mountain bike.

The reason for closing was that there were too many people on dirtbikes tearing the place up, so now they have made it so dirtbikes can get in but no other vehicles...nice...

Gooralong Park - There are walk trails still available but there used to be camping areas and a great picnic area with a river running through it and lots of walk trails to explore.

Not sure why they closed it but there is a housing development across the road from the main entrance.

jamespb78
Been here a while

Unread post by jamespb78 » November 23rd, 2010, 7:03 pm

Atleast part of Mitchells Track in the Mansfield area was closed last weekend 20th November. Just past the old slate mine, there was a sign saying tracking closed due to recent damage. No ETA on when it would reopen.

There had also been one of those orange baracades put up across the track, but people had ripped that down and the dirt bikes were flying straight past.

We turned around and headed down Stony Creek Track instead.

TroopiePete
Need to get out more

Unread post by TroopiePete » November 23rd, 2010, 7:11 pm

Oznut wrote:Ormeau on the northern Gold Coast. Main loop is still open but everything else is pretty much closed.
From what I understand (taken from the forum discussion at the time) the land is owned or leased by the mining company - they were told by the local councils to stop people accessing the area and muddying up the creak or face legal action, obviously they took the easy way out by stopping everyone from going in!
Seems a few people up there was fine but the place was so popular that it became a situation of the many wrecked it for the few.
Peter Richens - VK4FSD
HF Radio club - 4115
River City 4WD Club - President 2010 - 2014 http://www.rivercity4wdclub.net

Potta
Been here a while

Unread post by Potta » November 23rd, 2010, 7:18 pm

Lancelin to Wedge via the Navy track is now closed.

Apparently you can still take the beach or the new tarmac road.

http://www.perth4x4.net/forum/showthrea ... post286828

TroopiePete
Need to get out more

Unread post by TroopiePete » November 23rd, 2010, 7:23 pm

Fraser Island!

Ok we pay to get access to the beach and main tracks but many of the minor tracks are one by one being closed off or being tagged as Maintenance tracks!
I tackled one of the rangers about this issue while over there this month, his comment was we simply do not have the money to be maintaining them... my come back was that us the 4WD community would love it if they would stop managing the tracks and let us do it, provided they opened the areas back up.
He then continued to say that damage claims to cars and people was an issue and that they have already been sued and are currently being sued for some related issue.

So it seems that part of what we need to work on is getting laws changed so that when you enter a place like Fraser and pay the fee you are removing liability for claiming against such damage to you or your car as you acknowledge it is a potentially dangerous place.
Currently no such paperwork will hold water in court - we need to get this changed!
I realise this is asking a lot and will open up a can of worms for other insurance issues but somewhere taking responsibility for your own actions has to take precedence over claiming it was the Government or someone else's fault.
Peter Richens - VK4FSD
HF Radio club - 4115

Crunch
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Crunch » November 23rd, 2010, 7:33 pm

I agree with closing track, or sections of, for reasons of erosion/track conditions. BUT I believe that efforts should be made to create an alternate route around that section and signpost it "closed for track regeneration" or similar.

It all comes down to wheeler's working with authorities to achieve a common ground that everyone's happy with. Once that section is back to health, reopen it!

Red Rover
Here and there

Unread post by Red Rover » November 26th, 2010, 6:54 am

Crows Nest and Ravensbourne Nat Park - I saw lots of new signs with the tracks closed.

Mt Mee State Forest (Nap Park now) - lots of track closures

djs0276
Here and there

Unread post by djs0276 » November 27th, 2010, 9:54 pm

Limeburners Fire Trail in the lower Blue Mountains National Park near Mt Werong. The signs say closed for rehabilitation, but NPWS have installed massive gates, I personally doubt it will ever open again.

TroopiePete
Need to get out more

Unread post by TroopiePete » November 27th, 2010, 11:22 pm

djs0276 wrote:Limeburners Fire Trail in the lower Blue Mountains National Park near Mt Werong. The signs say closed for rehabilitation, but NPWS have installed massive gates, I personally doubt it will ever open again.
The departments claim it's to protect the area for the future - but protect it for what?
I mean if no one can ever go into the area again then what are you protecting it for, I am all for stopping clear felling forests and preventing mining on public lands be it world heritage like Fraser Island and areas like this but please show me how a 4WD can destroy an entire forest or wet land, yes the tracks can get quite damaged, often by erosion due to the undergrowth being cleared but move the track just a little, give it a year or two and you would never know the track existed!

But leave the track closed and no one will ever be able to see what is being protected and more to the point the track will get overgrown to the point that even fire fighting efforts will be hindered as the relative departments simply do not have the money to maintain the tracks.

So let us communicate to the relative departments and agencies that give us access and we will do the clearing for you, mind you chain saws would make the job much easier.
And what is this about not having fires in so many areas, seems that if a Government department manages an area Fires get banned, yet hand it back to native control and magically fires are no longer a problem - please explain!
Peter Richens - VK4FSD
HF Radio club - 4115

davoee
Part of the furniture

Unread post by davoee » November 28th, 2010, 5:38 am

Potta wrote:Not so much tracks but more recreational areas for camping, picnicking etc.

Whittakers Mill - Has significance to me as my Grandfather lived and worked there for many years. Can't even drive in anymore, the only use is via the Munda Biddi trail on a mountain bike.

The reason for closing was that there were too many people on dirtbikes tearing the place up, so now they have made it so dirtbikes can get in but no other vehicles...nice...

Gooralong Park - There are walk trails still available but there used to be camping areas and a great picnic area with a river running through it and lots of walk trails to explore.

Not sure why they closed it but there is a housing development across the road from the main entrance.
Bartons mill access has now been closed with a big gate along pickering brook road.

I sort of understand it as it was a haven for dickheads burning cars, dumping rubish and MX riders tearing up the catchment area but I used to use Pickering brook road to access Ashendon road when heading to the Murray river or Boyagin rock

they should have closed it the other side of Ashendon road

Potta
Been here a while

Unread post by Potta » November 29th, 2010, 5:19 pm

TroopiePete you took the words right off of my keyboard!!

What is the point of protecting these areas if no-one can ever go in there??

And I also agree about sorting out the laws. Its ridiculous that anyone can sue the government for an accident that happened on a non-sealed road.

If you go there, you accept the risk. Do something stupid? You pay the price. Easy.

Lutey
Avid Poster

Unread post by Lutey » November 29th, 2010, 7:32 pm

Kk, i am only new here, but would like to put forward the other point of veiw. Prferably with out getting flamed to buggery, or being judged.
I am NOT a greeny (we just bought another D6 for the property) but i am a fencing contractor, and in my folder i have the 7th purchase order to install trail gates this year. i figure some one is going to do it, so i might as well make some money out of it. Also , i make sure i can still get my CRF 450 around / under them.
I quized the ranger for the area why they are closing of these areas. My reply was (and thse local NPWS guys are great blokes ) They were originally purchased as a wilderness area, completly different from a national park. Parks are for publice use, and have infurstructure in place to handle the human impact on these areas. Wilderness, is a section ofbush that usually has some critters that are getting a bit thin, and also are an area that typefies that type of bush, and keep it so the species of flora and fauna are preserved if things doo turn bad and other species come under threat, at least we have an area to use as a 'brood stock' if you like.
Then, the partof the reply that you guys might like to take interest in. I was told we were supposed to close these trails 6 or 7 years ago, but have been trying to leave them open for people to enjoy. But unfortunatly, some 4wders come in here, camp, leaving rubish every where, doing circle work on the creek flats, then when it rains they go up and down the trails (instead of staying off the track in the wet) and it tears them up. Costing a lot of money to get a dozer back in to repair them. When i asked what about dirt bikes, dont they tear it up?? I was told, that they come in for the day, dont get drunk and destroy things, and seem to always take there rubish out with them. And they dont do hardly any track damage.
As per usual, i would say it is a minority stuffing it up for the rest of us. But maybe you next time you see someone doing the wrong thing, say somthing.
As i said, im NOT a greeny, and i love to 4wd through these tracks too. But wilderness areas ARE saved for hikers ONLY.
"Being quick is not about going fast....its about being slower less often"
For six days God made the heaven and the earth, on the seventh, he made the Oxley highway and went for a ride

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”