View topic - landcruiser 80 or patrol GQ?

landcruiser 80 or patrol GQ?

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
Here and there

landcruiser 80 or patrol GQ?

im currently thinking of trading my '93 troopy for a wagon because of a new addition to the family on the way. I've been thinking of going either an 80 series or a GQ patrol and was wondering what people thought of either model?

Unread postby gregors » November 9th, 2010, 4:23 pm

Need to get out more

Re: landcruiser 80 or patrol GQ?

They are both very similar vehicles, although you will probably get a cheaper diesel GQ than a diesel 80 series. The 80 has more room inside too, which may be important if you are tall.

I'd go an 80 series personally, but I know that the GQ's are decent too. If you are going for a GQ, get the 4.2 litre diesel - probably the more reliable and best of them. Just shop around and get the best priced vehicle, and don't worry so much about the makes.

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

Unread postby Aaron Schubert » November 9th, 2010, 6:31 pm

Here and there

cheers Aaron.
Are there any pros/cons of either vehicle? as in fuel consumption/power etc.?
Im about 6' tall and solidly built so would i still fit comfortably in a patrol?
Any major differences offroad?

I know im asking a few questions but i don't want to rush into anything.
cheers

Unread postby gregors » November 9th, 2010, 6:51 pm

Avid Poster

I bought an 80 petrol and my father in law bought a GQ diesel at about the same time. They both had about 200,000 kays on the clock.
My father in laws GQ was a 92, my 80 is a 93

The 80 is more modern and spacious inside
The GQ is cheaper to run
The 80 is smoother and nicer to drive with plenty of power
The GQ is cheaper to run
The 80's body had no dents and or rust
The GQ is cheaper to run

Nah seriously, they are both great vehicles. if you want a diesel and don't want to spend lots of money on what is essentially an ageing 4x4 buy a patrol. If you dont mind a thirsty petrol or have no issues with LPG I'd go the 80. I just reckon it would be easier to find an 80 that hides its true age a bit better
They are both comfortable enough for me and I'm 6ft 1 but the 80 is certainly more spacious by a long shot IMHO and it doesnt feel as dated as the GQ

The patrol has stronger CV's and gearbox and diffs but that isn't to say the 80 is weak as piss though as there are heaps that have lasted heaps of kays of normal off road use and are still great.

Just my opinion and what I like. you need to get out and drive both then decide, then buy the best one your money will buy. I probably paid a shade much for mine. It isnt even a GXL but it was very clean and very well looked after with full documentation etc etc and it shows. so I bought it and haven't looked back.

differences off road...well in an 80 you dont have to get out and lock hubs. and in my opinion the constant 4x4 works wonders for stability in all conditions. but locked in L and crawling up stuff, i really dont think either will let you down. there is a reason why both are so popular

Good luck

Unread postby 80Butts » November 9th, 2010, 8:07 pm

Admin

Firstly, let's assume that you are looking at the 'same/matching' engines in either vehicle - ie 4.2 diesel vs 4.2 diesel; or petrol vs petrol. Given that, then when it all comes down to it, the 80 series has more usable passenger space inside, it tends to be nicer for driving around town, & you'll probly be able to get better fuel economy from the engine of your choice. The 'but's' that always follow those sorts of statements are that it'll probly cost more to maintain, it's not going to be quite so good out of the box on the dirt/off road, and it's not quite so robust in the long term.

Regardless of the above, it won't take much to let a 6 footer get comfortable in either vehicle, altho in both cases you may want to look at modding the seat runners a little, & personally, I think the Patrol driving position/space can be set up better for tall people.

If you are after outright off road ability, then probly the Patrol takes the prize, altho the 80 series certainly is no slouch; it's just that the Patrol 'out of the box' is the better of the 2 off road & there are more examples out there for you to get ideas from about mods to suit your needs. But if you like the 80 Series or are a die-hard Toyo fan, a good 80 series can be set up to be almost as good, albeit at somewhat more cost & effort.

There again, if you really want the family to be comfortable around town, ultimate off road capability isn't quite the major priority, & you feel the better fuel economy may outweigh the extra maintenance costs, then the 80 series is probly the one for you! But if you really want that outright off road capability, you don't mind it being a tad agricultural around town, using a tiny bit more fuel, & off road capability & reliability is the major driver; then the Patrol is probly the one to look at!

How's that for sitting on the fence?? Want a bit more?? If you really have family driving & comfort in mind, will the $$$ stretch as far as either a GU or 100 series? Both were quids ahead of their earlier versions in the passenger room & comfort stakes & while the GU comes with a range of engine options that could keep the $$ difference down somewhat, the 100 Series made some significant gains in the reliability stakes too.

My choice?? I'm still driving GQ Patrols for their outright off road capability & ready modding to suit MY needs, but we rarely take them into the city (or any city if possible!) & while our 4 kids (plus the odd spare) did spend most of their growing up years in the back of various GQ's, they are all driving their own 4by's now, all GQ's (orright, one of them is driving one of our older vehicles, but it's still a GQ!) We do have a town car tho! Apart from that, others have said it - buy the best one you can afford!
An Ex-Service person is someone who, at some stage in their life, thought enough about their country, how great it is, and how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for an amount of 'Up to and including my Life!'

Unread postby Peter Aawen » November 9th, 2010, 8:27 pm

Need to get out more

Shouldn't really be comparing a petrol 80 to a diesel patrol and rating them on the results. Compare a petrol GQ to a TD or N/A diesel 80 and now whos on top ? its an unfair comparison to make, petrol 80 vs petrol patrol is better and in that case the 80 series engine is superior in power, economy and reliability and longevity.

Ill keep this short and sweet because its a massive can of worms the old 80 vs GQ debate so for those nit picky types forgive me for not being super specific and dont bother picking apart my words im speaking in general here...

The GQ is generally regarded as having the stronger bits underneath it, not to say the 80 isnt strong also, they are arguably the two toughest trucks in terms of strength and reliability you can get, but the GQ has a slight edge in the strength department. The 80 series has the better engines across the board, petrol, diesel whatever they are all better than nissans offerings> However nissans TD engine is a pretty sweet donk and stands up pretty well against the 1HDT but not against the 24 valve 1HDFT god of an angine, the petrol is now near near as good as the 1FZ overall. GQs also have the poorer suspension out of the box, you can change this easily i guess with a few grand thrown at it, but you will still get poor front end flex, where the 80 series will never have any issues getting flex at either end, even with standard arms there is massive potential in the std 80 suspension.

The GQ is cheaper across the board in all models and engine types, you will pay less for a GQ than the equivalent 80 series this is something to remember. I personally think that the GQ is also but ugly and looks very very old when compared to the 80 series on exterior looks. The interior of the 80 series is much nicer than the GQ, its the more comfortable car without a doubt. The GQ has the benefit of the awesome nissan rear LSD, locking the front and leaving the rear as the original lsd is pretty common because its such a great LSD.

Realistically and speaking totally un-bais here, the only logical reason for one to choose the GQ over the 80 series given that they were the same price, model spec and engine is if you really valued that extra strength out of the box in the diffs, gearbox and other drive line. The 80 has it all over the GQ is all areas bar that, but of course that is evident in what you pay for an 80 series compared to the GQ ! the GQ is substantially cheaper and for alot of people its cheap enough to justify losing out on some of those factors where the 80 has the edge. It comes down to weather you think its worth paying more for those extras or not, either way id say you will be happy they are both awesome cars, drive both and choose what you like !

In b4 GQ fan-boys get all upset, i don't care that's a pretty unbais review right there ^

Unread postby MJ80 » November 9th, 2010, 8:37 pm

Avid Poster

I probably shouldnt have introduced the Diesel V Petrol debate here. Apologies, it was an example close to me by association. but the rest still stands.

I reckon "overall" the 80 series is a better more comfortable capable everyday vehicle that goes excellent off road.
The patrol is still awesome and some like the older school harder edged look.
I think you will find these facts of overall "betterness" of the 80 to be reflected in the price on the market too.
let the can of worms be open :)

Unread postby 80Butts » November 10th, 2010, 9:37 am

I got an easy way to explain the pair. :D

If you want a shopping trolley that you want to go on picnics on weekends and the accassional touring trip and a little bit of off road work go the 80 series.

If you want something that can handle a flogging off road and keep coming back for more or to set up for plain Touring then get the GQ. As for the reliability of engines you cant bag either brand out. The failers of either is usually from poor maitanence.

By the way i've owned both Toyotas and Nissans so i'm not being one eyed here. In all seriousness it comes down to what you prefer and you really cant go wrong with either.

Cheers Mick.

Unread postby Mick. » November 10th, 2010, 3:30 pm

Part of the furniture

I agree basically with almost everything stated if I was to try and simplify it I would say,

The 80 series is a much more refined car, the bodies are as tight as drums and they don't really rust.

The patrol is tuffer but no more capable offroad than the 80 in standard form except that it's LSD actually works well.

The Patrol is easier to turn into a weekend warrior if that's your thing.

The 80 is basically a nice car and good offroader.

Unread postby Struth » November 10th, 2010, 3:50 pm

Here and there

thanks guys gives me a bit to think about.
what are petrol engines like off road? ive never driven a petrol 4wd and have no idea what they are like.

once again thanks for the input. :thumb:

Unread postby gregors » November 10th, 2010, 5:55 pm

Need to get out more

They sound terrible unless they are a V8, iv yet to hear a great sounding 4 or 6cyl petrol off road and they make torque high in the rev range compared to the diesel making it in the preferred low RPM range. And the engine braking is worse in the petrol, this can be a PITA downhill especially in the wet. Cant find the specs for the 1HDFT anywhere ?! so the comparison will have to be the 12V TD against the 24V petrol.

1HDT 361NM @ 1400 RPM
1FZ FE - 373NM @ 3000 RPM

Unread postby MJ80 » November 10th, 2010, 7:06 pm

Avid Poster

Having owned a 4.5 petrol 80 series Glx and now a GQ, I would say go the Nissan. Cheaper to maintain, not much space difference, cheaper to mod and easy to get parts for and easier to d.I.y repair.

Also less things to go wrong compared to the yota.

Have always been a yota bloke "till now"

Sure it looks more dated but I personally like the truck look.

Unread postby upandover » November 10th, 2010, 7:26 pm

Avid Poster

Oh, and petty. A must is a full wallet, they chew fuel like nothing else. The big yota 4.5 petty and Nissan tb42 4.2 petrol are about the same.

Big weekends away need to be saved up for.

Power wise the Nissan 4.2 petty pulls harder than the yota but I have the injected version of the motor not the carby.

Unread postby upandover » November 10th, 2010, 7:29 pm

Been here a while

80 in a heart beat! I'm 6,2 and I can sit in any seat in an 80. In a gq I can't sit anywhere literally besides the front 2 seats there so squashy. I much prefer the rear doors of the 80 and the interior is way nicer more modern. Also the gq looks like a box. As for reliability who can say either will last the test of time and either can be very capable. Just drive both I'm sure you will fall in love with one. Yes you probably find a cheaper gq but there are some very well priced 80s

Unread postby 10571z » November 10th, 2010, 9:30 pm

Here and there

I recon you can make GQ's look sexy. Here is mine. I love the look.
The other thing (I was always torn between an 80 and a GQ. If you smash the GQ, you dont feel as bad, because an 80 seems so much newer (and feels more expensive)

Unread postby Rousey » April 8th, 2014, 1:11 am

Next

Return to Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's