Hilux Vs Prado 150 Vs LC100/105 - advice or recommendations?

Anything and everything in the world of 4WDing & Fourby's; if it's 4WD related & not covered by a specific section elsewhere, then put it in here!
TBJ
I'm new, be nice!

Hilux Vs Prado 150 Vs LC100/105 - advice or recommendations?

Unread post by TBJ » March 13th, 2018, 9:53 pm

Hi all,
I'm looking to replace my 2004 SR5 Dual Cab Hilux with a newer 4x4, I'm wanting to spend under $30k preferably closer to the $25k, and what I'm looking at at the moment is a 2012-2015 Dual Cab Hilux 3.0D4D, a Prado 150 3.0D4D or a 100 series Landcruiser with the 4.2 Diesel. I'm wanting to know what you guys think of the off road capabilities of these, I really don't know much about the Prado's. What I mostly do is drive around in town traffic and the outer city, but sometimes in the city proper during the week, and then go camping and 4x4ing most weekends, nothing too extreme tho, just trails with some harder stuff now and then, mostly in the High Country. I'm also hoping to do some longer trips like the Simpson, Cape York, and the Canning Stock Route eventually. Now what I'm wondering is can the Prado do this type of stuff, since the 100/105 series' are getting harder to find, especially in decent, lower km's condition. Would you recommend I go for a Prado or a Hilux, or wait for a good 100? Or should I wait and try to put more money together and look at cheaper decent 200's, 76's, or 79's as these seem to be around the $40k-$50k? Or what else would you recommend?
Thanks for your help.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Hilux Vs Prado 150 Vs LC100/105 - advice or recommendations?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » March 13th, 2018, 10:46 pm

For what you tell us you already do & are planning on doing in the future, a Prado is certainly likely to be a very good choice; more than suitable for tackling the degree of 4WD'ing you are looking at and probably the best of any of those first choices for your 'round town' driving. The Hilux is probably the least suitable match across the board for your stated complete range of driving needs (unless maybe you are a tradie who would benefit from having a ute or tray & doesn't mind the harsher ride & less comfort for the family?); and the others, while certainly having potentially better off road quals, probably won't manage quite so well with all the city & town driving - altho a 200 series could make for a pretty luxurious town car... c
Still, a 200 series is a comparatively expensive vehicle, and really not all that much better than a Prado for the higher dollars, but maybe if you lucked out on a really fantastic deal on a 200 you could justify it?! :thumb:

Over to you. ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “Anything to do with 4WD's &/or related to Fourby's”