What would it take to do an Engine conversion - petrol to diesel?

Gobus
I'm new, be nice!

What would it take to do an Engine conversion - petrol to diesel?

Unread post by Gobus » April 22nd, 2018, 5:25 am

Hi everyone
I got a mint 80 but its got an petrol engine what would it take to convert to a diesel any info would be greatly appreciated
Cheers

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: What would it take to do an Engine conversion - petrol to diesel?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » April 22nd, 2018, 12:40 pm

Ho Gobus, it's probably a whole lot cheaper and definitely a whole lot easier to SELL your petrol engined 80 & buy a good Diesel engined 80 & take the hit in $$ that'd likely bring, but if you are really into pain, it can & has been done! :gurn:

If you insist on going ahead, it'd probably be easiest to source & buy a low mileage no damage half/front-cut diesel engined donor, cos just about EVERYTHING up front is going to be different to some extent!! The diesels have heavier & slightly taller suspension (to cater for the heavier engine); a different radiator; I think the power steer unit is different; the alternator is different; all the engine driven or sensing gauges are different (inc the speedo, tacho, & fuel gauges); and there's a bunch of different sub-sections in the wiring loom. I think the diffs run different gear ratios stock (altho that's not necessarily a problem, especially if you want to change wheel sizes eventually, but you'd need to check! ) and if you need to change them you'd need diffs from both ends, or at least the crownwheels & pinions - you'd hafta check all that & things like axle diameters & driveshaft splines & lengths too; plus there might be some different gearbox cogs too, altho I'm pretty sure the transfer case & the gearing in there is the same; and you'd need to check that the disc brakes are the same at the rotor/caliper end as well as at the booster & master cylinder end.... there will be a difference in the way boost vacuum is achieved, altho that might be covered by the different alternator (some diesels had a vacuum pump on the back of the alternator, others had an engine driven pump!) And then there's gonna be the differences in the fuel line; fuel pick-up & return units in the tank/s; fuel filters; fuel filler neck diameters; and probably 1000 other small but important differences that are seemingly just there to drive you crazy but will need checking & changing or at least becoming aware of the potential differences!! And all this stuff is before we even get into any necessary engineering, brake & swerve test requirements, rego, & insurance issues that are generally associated with making a seemingly simple change like this - that really just isn't quite so easy as many think!! :eek:

Sooo, are you SURE you really want to keep your petrol engined 80 & try to swap the engine over to a diesel?? It WILL be a whole lot quicker, easier, cheaper, and probably far more reliable in the long run & certainly involve less time off the tracks just to sell the petrol jobbie & source then buy a diesel engined 80 - and it WILL be WAAAAYYY less likely to end up junked somewhere as a failed project!! :petrified: But it certainly can be done!! :purplex:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Gobus
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Gobus » April 22nd, 2018, 6:57 pm

Holy ***** i didn't think i had to change all that on the car better off going down the path of fitting an ls1
Can anyone tell me whats the fuel economy like on the ls1 in an 80 series
Cheers

Brett Mcleod
Here and there

Unread post by Brett Mcleod » April 28th, 2018, 6:51 pm

lots of blokes have started putting the Barra motors in them now, i'm thinking about it myself :)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/7824271 ... ?ref=br_rs

Bazooka1
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Bazooka1 » May 5th, 2018, 10:24 pm

Can certainly be done and it all comes back to how much you're willing to spend. You say that your vehicle is in mint condition so if you have taken care of it through it's years then there may also be an attachment to it. If you have spent a lot on other modifications, getting it to exactly what you want, then it may well be beneficial for you to "keep the old girl" and give her a new, stronger beating heart.
Personally for the 80 series the 1HD-FTE engine is the best way to go. Easy swap keeping it in the engine family, more power, more torque and better economy than other earlier diesel options.
If you got the coin and patience then the 1VD-FTV may be an option. Tight fit but you'll have one of the best combinations out there while having all the bragging rights :)
If you want more info contact www.dieseltoys.com

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » May 6th, 2018, 12:42 am

Hey Bazooka, while I agree that there can be some merit in doing the conversion IF you satisfy all those criteria you mentioned AND you've got the $$$ & time to throw at doing the job properly, it's still not really such an attractive conversion idea here in Aus as it may be in some other parts of the world.....
I say this hoping that most readers will realise that the 'dieseltoys' mob you provided a link to are in the US - and that despite their blurb, here in Aus, there are probably more relatively un-molested & reasonably well cared for diesel engined 'large 4WD Toyotas' out there roaming Aus than there are petrol engined 'large 4WD Toyotas' as well!? So we aren't faced with any real 'lack of supply' concerns re diesel engined Toyotas, altho sometimes admittedly the 'initial asking price' on the better 80 series hitting the market these days can be somewhat higher than most potential buyers are prepared to pay, but you just hafta give those vehicles a few months of little or no interest & most serious sellers come back down to more realistic $$ levels in order to make a sale! :rolleyes:

Still, the point is that we've got a fairly high proportion of diesel 80 series in our used vehicle fleet that are making their way onto the market, so they aren't really all that scarce or desperately hard to come by - often with all the 4WD'ing fruit already fitted! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Bazooka1
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Bazooka1 » May 6th, 2018, 2:35 pm

While I do completely understand the difference in market from here to other countries I am simply giving the OP another side to the question he asked. Unfortunately I see many posts like this and they almost always say the same as to what you have stated. Many people give false information on what they 'think' is required without having done any conversion of this kind in the past. As for Diesel Toys, they have an Aussie connection www.dieseltoysaus.com
Maybe the OP wants something individual, something that doesn't exist on the market. A clean 80 series with a 1HD-FTE or other later model diesel can be done and gives them a choice. If he has a good clean vehicle but just wants more power, torque and/or economy the option is definitely there.
These days it seems to be the modern electrics in vehicles that stop most people who look to go down this path. There are very few that can overcome this and finding someone that can, seems sometimes impossible. For the OP or anyone else thinking the same contact the links I have provided, ask the question to the correct people and get the correct answer.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » May 6th, 2018, 4:44 pm

I didn't see the Aus link in your original post, but I did warn the OP about it being a fair bit more involved & less easy than most think at first glance mainly because I have done it, more than once, and learnt thru hard won experience about the actual costs, complexity, & time, etc rather than the 'gee, surely it can't be too hard or expensive' fairy-land concept that many start out with! And I've also helped a few others move on their 'partially completed but by then never likely to be finished' conversions too! Yes, there can be a great sense of achievement if you do manage to get thru to the end, but if you are thinking of doing it yourself at home, there's also a whole lot more involved than most think when they start out, and it pretty much invariably ends up costing a helluva lot more than most expect, as well as frequently converting what may have been a mint petrol powered 4WD worth a reasonable amount of coin into a pretty much worthless partially done back-yard conversion that might realise scrap value if its lucky!! :petrified:

That first link you provided outlines pretty much exactly that in their Conversion FAQ's - amongst other things, they are up front in telling potential customers that they won't take on anyone else's partially done job; they won't help or guide you thru doing it yourself because getting it done properly is why you should've taken it to them in the first place & paid them to do it properly; and IF your petrol vehicle is in good condition, it's still likely to cost you something between $10,000-$12,000 to do it properly in labour alone (remember, they WON'T take on your part finished conversion!) - plus whatever your donor engine & ancilliary parts cost & any extra costs you may incur in bringing your vehicle up to scratch to start with and then doing any engineering & rego tests that your particular authorities may require!! And they ONLY fit what is available in the factory vehicles anyway!! Plus, the Aussie mob doesn't actually DO these conversions (yet?!) anyway, they actually only source all the parts for other mobs.... :purplex:

So yeah, as I said in my first post, it certainly CAN be done, but is the OP (or anyone else considering doing this) really prepared for the complexity and costs AND the time it's likely to take?!? On a rational & logical level, it's almost always a more viable alternative to sell the petrol vehicle (maybe stripped of all the noice bolt-on/add-on bits) & buy a diesel of similar vintage/quality to build up - but again, as I said in the earlier post, if you are really into pain, it certainly CAN be done - but please don't dream that it's ever gonna be cheap, easy, or likely to happen all that quickly! And if you must do a conversion, then as Brett mentioned, maybe swapping out the relatively old school 4.0 or 4.2 petrol engine the 80's came with for a newer Barra engine will be a whole lot easier & more viable too! ;)

Brett Mcleod
Here and there

Unread post by Brett Mcleod » May 6th, 2018, 7:37 pm

this is a good buy & has everything you need if you looking at a 1hd fte conversion
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/peakhur ... 1165678342

Return to “80 Series”